Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you drive the Porsche to a client office?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 07:36 PM
npp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M5 is not too flashy --- it's a well disguised performance machine. Good choice --
I'm a doc too, and my new 997 will be my daily driver. Luckily, I park in an employee lot with lots of other cars.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:52 PM
paul997
Advanced

Sell Real Estate in a small rural town so its more of an issue when there are not many P-cars around . I had felt guilty when I drove to a clients in the Porsche, so now I usually drive my trailblazer instead. Most people are happy for my success but there is no real way of telling in the short term if my choice in cars has cost me business. Maybe in time that guilty feeling will fade but I know my smile I get when I drive never will. Like others said before, most people would prefer to deal with someone who is successful. There will always be people who resent your success but I have come to think they are not worth dealing with anyways as they are a**holes for their line of thinking.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred 993C4S

P.S. I personally would rather have my attorney drive a Porsche than a Yugo a Diablo might be pushing it though
Just got finished driving one of my largest clients around in my 996TT. She has been in it before though. I would never pick her up in my Diablo. I sometimes think just owning one says I am screaming for attention or over compensating, but then again I over analyze everything, have wife and kids and don't feel inadequate in areas of my life. Some of my clients may also view it is irresponsible and immature because I am not rich.

Candidly, the attention gets annoying after a while due to people trying to catch up to get a close look. Just always wanted a Lambo since I first saw a real one in person at a stereo store in 1986 and man is it worth it.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:54 PM
tooner
Advanced

Those who can... WILL... those who cannot… WON’T... LOL...

Let them think what they want it will not matter when they see how good you are with your job-profession-product-services etc. etc. etc.

Luxury items are symbols of status are they not?
Old 08-12-2005, 06:42 AM
Fred 993C4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by Doug H
Just got finished driving one of my largest clients around in my 996TT. She has been in it before though. I would never pick her up in my Diablo. I sometimes think just owning one says I am screaming for attention or over compensating, but then again I over analyze everything, have wife and kids and don't feel inadequate in areas of my life. Some of my clients may also view it is irresponsible and immature because I am not rich.

Candidly, the attention gets annoying after a while due to people trying to catch up to get a close look. Just always wanted a Lambo since I first saw a real one in person at a stereo store in 1986 and man is it worth it.
Doug, I was just kidding. Enjoy your diablo! Regarding the attention, I can symphatize, my little Elise draws so much attention that it becomes a concern when you drive. Too many idiots staring at the car while at speed rather than looking where they're going is a recipe for disaster; I've been followed, filmed, photographed, challenged to race, almost run over several times, et, etc etc in the Elise. Its a crazy world out there.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:48 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Doug--no offense intended, but to call yourself "not rich" when you have more than $250K in sports cars at your disposal is a bit of an understatement [F355, 996TT, Diablo if memory serves]. I'm sure that you have worked hard for what you have, and you may not be a billionaire or big time multi-multi millionaire, but anyone able to afford a 996TT, F355 and Diablo concurrently is not hurting at all in the bank account department [especially considering you are married with kids]. I am a car nut and will always [provided that I can afford it] drive some sort of sports car because cars are my passion, but you shouldn't feel like you can't admit your financial situation to us on the board--we share your passion of amazing automobiles
Old 08-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by ventoGT
Doug--no offense intended, but to call yourself "not rich" when you have more than $250K in sports cars at your disposal is a bit of an understatement [F355, 996TT, Diablo if memory serves]. I'm sure that you have worked hard for what you have, and you may not be a billionaire or big time multi-multi millionaire, but anyone able to afford a 996TT, F355 and Diablo concurrently is not hurting at all in the bank account department [especially considering you are married with kids]. I am a car nut and will always [provided that I can afford it] drive some sort of sports car because cars are my passion, but you shouldn't feel like you can't admit your financial situation to us on the board--we share your passion of amazing automobiles
I have a monthly car budget I have to stay within. I guess I consider rich as one who can just go out and buy whatever wihtout having to worry about the constraints of a car budget. If I had the resources, I would have CGT, an Enzo and a Murci (although I like the 6.0 interior better) and still use my TT cabriolet as my daily driver because I have to have a back seat. I am definitely blessed.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:40 PM
jonquiljo
Advanced

To drive in a Prsche to a client indicates good taste. I see so many people driving in overly-expensive tasteless cars, that a Porsche is refreshing.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Silver Bullet 911
8th Gear

Answer these three questions:
1. Are you good at what you do?
2. Do you work hard for your clients?
3. Are you worth what they pay you?

If the answer is yes to all three, drive what you like to a client's office. They will not care.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:17 AM
royalpar1
Instructor

Perhaps a Scwinne would be a good bet to go to clients office on, if you are worried
Old 08-13-2005, 03:04 AM
Big D
3rd Gear

Turn the question around. If you were a client being represented by a lawyer who drove up in a 1961 Chevy van with no paint and a broken muffler, would it inspire confidence? It's not necessarily logical. It's psychology.

Big D
84 911 Carrera Cabriolet
65 Corvair Turbo Convertible
02 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT Spyder
Old 08-13-2005, 04:09 AM
Mosi
Track Day

I think it also depends what industry you are in.

For instance, if I saw a Doctor I am using in a flash car it would instill me with confidence that I'm being looked after by a successful Doctor who is at the top of his/her game. As my health would be something that is being dealt with at the time, I would think 'sod it' spare no expense on something good.

However if a tax inspector turned up at my house in a flash car, then I would be less than impressed!! (I know of a tax inspector who drives a great big IN YOUR FACE American SUV in the UK, with the plate 'TAX 666' on it!.....how's that for rubbing people up the wrong way!)

Personally, I pre-judge my Clients interests/reaction to a flashy car and either use the 996TT if I think they'll appreciate it, or the more mundane (but still smart looking) 535d Sport Touring if I think they dont want their faces rubbing in it.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:38 AM
hatchback
Advanced

My 2 cents.... I think it depends on the quality of your work. My attorney does great work for me and bills me honestly and I eagerly pay him his $400/hour the day his invoices come in and I don't care whether he drives an Echo or a fleet of Enzos. But I have had bad attorneys that bill me 20 hours for shoddy work that I have to discard, or bill me 30 minutes to send me a form letter, and I resented everything about working with them. If they showed up to a meeting with an expensive car that would have been the last straw and I would have dropped them immediately. But there's no doubt that the wisest business decision is just to blend in, not draw attention to your economic success.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:45 AM
tooner
Advanced

That’s a valid point hatchback…

But allow me to throw a wrench in there. What if the same attorney showed up in a run of the mill car but hides his fleet of Enzo’s?

Would you feel sympathetic about his charges?
Old 08-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Michael1
Advanced

Originally Posted by TestnDoc
I am a doctor, and for the reason you stated and wanting to keep a lower profile, I never drive my Pcar to work. Currently I drive an X5 to work, but will probably get an M5 this year. I dont think the M5 is too flashy. What do you guys think about the M5 being too flashy??
The M5 is less flashy than a 911, but I wouldn't call it low key. How about an M5 with the "badge delete" option?

My customers have gotten use to my flashy cars. They are always well polished, and they've seen me cover them when parking out in the middle of nowhere in their parking lots. They realize I'm just an over the top "car nut", and I'm not trying to prove anything. They view my charges as enabling a habit.

Michael

Quick Reply: Do you drive the Porsche to a client office?