Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you drive the Porsche to a client office?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005 | 06:32 AM
Sidney2
7th Gear

Dear Adam!

Here the answers to your entry post:

1. That´s Germany

2. That´s USA

Hope this helps
Gregor
Germany
Old 08-11-2005 | 08:13 AM
tbill
Racer

Live in small town(3,000) in Midwest. Own and operate retail store and a bank director. I know that my family's driving of upscale vehicles have hurt our store sales over the years. However, one cannot live the way everyone else wants us to. I try to drive store pickup truck back and forth to work and leave the cars for out of town trips. Have a passion for nice cars, but no other hobbies as I work 65-85 hours per week. (I know that's sad, but also enjoy work) In a small community everyone knows not only what car everyone else drives, but they think they know everything about their neighbors.
Old 08-11-2005 | 12:25 PM
Fred 993C4S
Advanced

I'll chime in as well as I'm frequently confronted by this issue.
I am in aviation and my wife is a kayak instructor and operator of a concession at a State Park; we own 5 cars among the 2 of us one being the 997S and another is a Lotus Elise ( my cars ), the other 3 are 2 pick trucks and a jeep wrangler (wife's). When coming to my office ( aviation ) I drive the 997S or the Elise and park in my own covered parking spot, our customers seem to enjoy seeing the cars and the employees don't seem to mind but we treat them well and give them very nice bonuses every year so in general we have satisfied employees.
When going to my wife's work or when dealing with her employees my wife absolutely doesn't want me to drive my sports cars to her place of business; she deals with low skill, low wage employees and she feels it would rub them the wrong way also the park employees might not appreciate it as well. This works fine most of the time as I usually don't have anything to do with her business; lately however, it seems like just about everyday something happens that forces me to drive down to the park ( we are working to open a restaurant in there and I am managing that project for my wife) so I have been having to find a way to swap cars before going down there (it happened yesterday and I already got a call today that they need me again there today) so I'm just about ready to just start going down there in my cars and let people get used to it, sooner or later they will and the sooner it won't be a big deal anymore. What do you all think?

P.S. I personally would rather have my attorney drive a Porsche than a Yugo a Diablo might be pushing it though
Old 08-11-2005 | 01:42 PM
Paul523
Pro

Keep it low key but don't apologize for it...acting nonchalant works best, details about the car only necessary if another car nut is truly interested in the vehicle.

Co-workers have put me on the spot if they see me getting out of the 911, but by this time (7 or 8 out-of-the-mainstream cars owned during 11 years at current job), most co-workers know that cars are more or less a personal idiosyncrasy....still nukes some of the raised eyebrows if I wave it off dismissively as "oh, that's my squished Volkswagen Beetle" or (usually I have two child seats in back) "hey you know that's a FAMILY car?, did ya see my kid seats?".

My co-workers are half private sector, half gov't workers in same facility.
I drive the 997S to work about two days a week, keeping it low-key works best... parking one section removed from the closest to the building--but not hiding it a block away--just being nonchalant & less conspicuous about my funky cars is better in my case.

And definitely, I would rather see my real estate agent or attorney driving a 911 than an old jalopy. Imho one of the best things about 911's in particular is that most 911 owners are much more apt to be pure car enthusiasts than badge hounds.
Old 08-11-2005 | 01:53 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Adam -
I say drive it to client offices, but do your best while at work to allow each person you work with the opportunity to judge you based upon you as a person and your work ethic. If you do great work and the clients are happy, then it won't matter what you drive.
If they ask about the cost of the car or make statements like "You must really be raking it in" respond with, "it took me 20 years to save for this car"
Seems to work well for me.
Old 08-11-2005 | 02:31 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

I am an endodontist and had the same question for years "what would my patients and referring dentists think". My initial concerns never have been a problem. I have patients ask me which Porsche I'm driving now if they don't see it in the parking lot and referrring dentistsjust chalk it up to me being a car guy. I'm probably much more sensitive to it than need be. Now a Ferrari- forget it; too over the top. The Porsches are generally regarded around here as nice enthusiast cars within reach of many people if the really want one.
Old 08-11-2005 | 04:27 PM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Good topic! I happen to be a very small business owner. I could have an airplane or a boat tucked away and few would know here I spend my leisure dollars. But with the 997S it is parked below my office and everyone knows what I drive. "He has alot of money" is the attitude of my employees, my customers and my landlord. This car is more expensive than the window sticker states. People do not to understand that the car is my boat airplane and my golf clubs. This is my hobby and my everyday car, rain, snow and hurricanes. I gave this purchase consideration as to this subject and moved ahead. It is just a cost of owning your own business and having your hobby on display 24/7
Old 08-11-2005 | 04:38 PM
rotthaus
Instructor

I follow the old dictum from manufacturing: Never park in the company lot anything that your plant foreman cannot afford to park there.

Greg
2005 Carrera S Coupe, Lapis Blue Metallic, Carrera Classic Wheels, PCCB, Bose, Sport Shifter, Sport Seats
Old 08-11-2005 | 04:52 PM
M758
Race Director

What I find odd about this for someone like me 31. I have my share of nice cars, but none were purchased new. I know folks look funny at me, but I don't care.

The really sad part is that my Porsche's are my cheap cars and are worth less than most family cars. Heck even my BMW 530 and my Wife's ML320 cost me less than some guys diesel lifted F350. But he will look badly at my 530 or worse at my 10k Porsche. 944 Turbo.

Hey at least your cars are actualy worth more than an average family suv.

Last edited by M758; 08-11-2005 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-11-2005 | 06:08 PM
npp
Advanced

For most professions we seem to be care more about our employees' perceptions than the clients' perceptions ... probably one exception would be physicians. Doctors who drive Porsches may be looked upon as arrogant and selfish as they must have profited from other people's misfortunes (illness, sickness, injury, etc).
For all rennlisters here -- would you feel angry if your doctor drove around town in a $100,000+ vehicle?
just curious.
Old 08-11-2005 | 06:22 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

I really think it depends on the kind of job you have. A lot of people expect doctors, engineers, lawyers to drive a nice car but I don't think I want to see a salesperson pull up driving a expensive car. The first thing come into my mind will be...whatever he is selling is overpriced.
Old 08-11-2005 | 06:36 PM
fahren affair
Pro

I’m in Real Estate … So I deal with contracts and fees a LOT… pulling up to a client in a new car has never been a concern because I like my clients to know that I must be doing something right being able to afford a nice car.

exactly. i'm a tenant rep for a lot of law firms, cpa's etc. all housed in class-a office bldgs. i'd rather they see i drive a p-car and know i must be successful and won't f-up their negotiations like a rookie might.
Old 08-11-2005 | 06:46 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

I live in a small rural town.. err village in NW Ohio. There is 3 maybe 4 other p-cars that I know of. Even thou i drive a 18yr old porsche , I still get the "you drive a porsche, you must be loaded" type things. I don't care what other people think, I worked hard to get what I have so they can blow me. Yes, I drive it everywhere, to customers houses, businesses ect. Not too many ppl say anything.

So do as you will, i wouldn't be to worried about it.
Old 08-11-2005 | 07:30 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by npp
For most professions we seem to be care more about our employees' perceptions than the clients' perceptions ... probably one exception would be physicians. Doctors who drive Porsches may be looked upon as arrogant and selfish as they must have profited from other people's misfortunes (illness, sickness, injury, etc).
For all rennlisters here -- would you feel angry if your doctor drove around town in a $100,000+ vehicle?
just curious.
I am a doctor, and for the reason you stated and wanting to keep a lower profile, I never drive my Pcar to work. Currently I drive an X5 to work, but will probably get an M5 this year. I dont think the M5 is too flashy. What do you guys think about the M5 being too flashy??
Old 08-11-2005 | 07:36 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

The M5 is the ultimate perfect daily driver. In fact, it is MY daily driver!!! That is until October when the lease is up. Looking for a great deal?? I could buy it out and flip it to you!

Quick Reply: Do you drive the Porsche to a client office?