Sponsored by:

OT: Investing

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 06:28 AM
993cabfan
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT: Investing

All of you have obviously done well enough in life to afford a Porsche, so I thought I’d ask you a question about investing. I’ve seen this group be extremely helpful to people who ask questions to learn from others, so I’m hoping to get good insights. Thanks in advance.

I was interested in buying a used 993 cabriolet about a year or two ago, but then got moved overseas on an international assignment. So, no P-car until I get back to the US in another 2-3 years. Then perhaps 997S Cabriolet!

I have been fortunate enough to save up some money, but I don’t think I’m investing it as wisely as I could be and would welcome any advice. Currently it is all in either Vanguard Index 500 or a couple of other mutual funds. Also a little in a bond fund and a little in an International fund.

So, I guess my biggest question is: is it worth it to have your money actively managed? Should I just turn it over to an individual/firm and pay them their commission? I know I’m not able to actively manage it myself (time and ability) which is why I put it all into funds. I think some of these money management firms for high net worth individuals need a $1million minimum. While not there, I’m well on the way – do some of these firms reduce their minimums for bringing in new clients (looking at long-term client potential).

Another question I have is real estate. I know real estate can be a great investment and I’ve often thought about owning rental property. However I am out of the country and couldn’t be there to supervise/deal with tenants/etc. Is it worth buying a property and then having a management firm deal with all the rest. I know they generally take a 10% cut, so that’s why I’m a little hesitant. Are there markets where it would make sense: (buy a place with 20% down, have rent cover mortgage and expenses)?

If anybody has thoughts on the above I would truly welcome the advice. If you’d rather PM me that would be great as well. Since a little background is probably helpful, here you go:

Married, two kids under 3 (college funds set up and investing $7,000 per year each)
Max contribution to company 401K
No Credit card debt
No mortgage (due to company subsidized overseas housing)
No car payment (company cars)

Basically, in part because of my overseas situation, I am getting more cash per month than I could possibly spend, so I want to make sure I’m investing it wisely – after all, that will help me fund a P-car in the future!

Thanks, Corey
Old 08-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts

Corey, I'm sure there asare a lot of very smart people on this board but it's hard to be experts in everything. My experience has always been- know what you don't know and hire the best people you can find for the rest. My money manager charges less than 1% (doesn't include stock commisions)and has done incredibly well for me. We hired him to handle our practice retirement fund and he reduces his rate for other smaller accounts- no charge for accounts less than $100,000 (kids college accounts, wifes IRA); .5% for the rest. Sounds like you're on the right track. The only other advice I could offer is be as diversified as you can. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:13 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993cabfan
All of you have obviously done well enough in life to afford a Porsche, so I thought I’d ask you a question about investing. I’ve seen this group be extremely helpful to people who ask questions to learn from others, so I’m hoping to get good insights. Thanks in advance.

I was interested in buying a used 993 cabriolet about a year or two ago, but then got moved overseas on an international assignment. So, no P-car until I get back to the US in another 2-3 years. Then perhaps 997S Cabriolet!

I have been fortunate enough to save up some money, but I don’t think I’m investing it as wisely as I could be and would welcome any advice. Currently it is all in either Vanguard Index 500 or a couple of other mutual funds. Also a little in a bond fund and a little in an International fund.

So, I guess my biggest question is: is it worth it to have your money actively managed? Should I just turn it over to an individual/firm and pay them their commission? I know I’m not able to actively manage it myself (time and ability) which is why I put it all into funds. I think some of these money management firms for high net worth individuals need a $1million minimum. While not there, I’m well on the way – do some of these firms reduce their minimums for bringing in new clients (looking at long-term client potential).

Another question I have is real estate. I know real estate can be a great investment and I’ve often thought about owning rental property. However I am out of the country and couldn’t be there to supervise/deal with tenants/etc. Is it worth buying a property and then having a management firm deal with all the rest. I know they generally take a 10% cut, so that’s why I’m a little hesitant. Are there markets where it would make sense: (buy a place with 20% down, have rent cover mortgage and expenses)?

If anybody has thoughts on the above I would truly welcome the advice. If you’d rather PM me that would be great as well. Since a little background is probably helpful, here you go:

Married, two kids under 3 (college funds set up and investing $7,000 per year each)
Max contribution to company 401K
No Credit card debt
No mortgage (due to company subsidized overseas housing)
No car payment (company cars)

Basically, in part because of my overseas situation, I am getting more cash per month than I could possibly spend, so I want to make sure I’m investing it wisely – after all, that will help me fund a P-car in the future!

Thanks, Corey
You can try card counting. www.cardcounter.com
Old 08-10-2005, 08:29 PM
ArthurY
Track Day

Originally Posted by 993cabfan
so I thought I’d ask you a question about investing.
Two generic pieces of advice:

1. Buy low, sell high;
2. Take more specific queries to a more appropriate forum.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

google and baidu.com

with 2 kids, unless you have some serious savings, its probably not a good idea to buy a porsche

moneybiz, what is with you and gambling?
Old 08-10-2005, 09:06 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corey,
I posted a similar question in OT. I got some decent responses, see the thread tittled "Buying stocks.. Where? How?"
Old 08-11-2005, 03:05 AM
993cabfan
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I can formally close this thread, but I've now posted this in the appropriate place - off topic forum.

WesM951 - thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 05:45 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Originally Posted by Moogle
google and baidu.com

with 2 kids, unless you have some serious savings, its probably not a good idea to buy a porsche

moneybiz, what is with you and gambling?
It's an Asian thing. I seriously think that it offers a return that beats the S&P with low risk. 100% per year...

Last edited by MoneyBiz; 05-29-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: OT: Investing