997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do you install the front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005 | 06:18 PM
GT3BB
Racer

It would have to be a pretty slow day or the red light at Krispy Kreme was defective before the police would stop you just for no front plates.
Old 08-12-2005 | 07:39 PM
kwsmith6
Intermediate

I got stopped in downtown Houston for no front plate and for having a license plate frame on the back plate. The ticket cost $180 - ouch. I tried to use the excuse that I was waiting for the parts, and he said "but you have had the car 4 months. Too bad the law is the law". There is no fix-it ticket. The license plate frame on the back was a questionable ticket. Evidently Texas wants to make sure you do not cover up the Texas. I should have asked him, because mine does not cover the Texas part of the license plate. I only installed the lower screws on the front plate, but not the upper ones since all four go through the bumper. I think someone had a method to mount the plate below the bumper in the fake intake area, and that might be a better solution.
Old 08-12-2005 | 08:03 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

At our rennlist rumble last April, I think I was the only fool out of 20+ cars that had a front plate on. I'm going to take it off.

My wife, OTOH, won't let me put any plates on her 05 Cayenne S that we got last October; she's still driving with the new car paper taped in the front window and no plates. If she gets stopped, I'm sure she will whine to the officer that she's been bugging me for months to put them on but that I haven't!
Old 08-12-2005 | 10:27 PM
doc j
Advanced

it's my understanding that after sept. 1, 2005, the front plate is not requred in tx. what my pcar salesman told me. might be worth trying to argue that one if you got the ticket recently.
Old 08-12-2005 | 10:33 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Default Florida.

Gotta love Florida and its one tag system. My birth state of Pennsylvania is one tag too. I had a silver SAAB 9000 Aero 5spd in Dallas for a few years and never did remeber to install the front tag on that car. Then I brought it to the Sunshine and dare's no worries mon.
Old 08-13-2005 | 06:20 AM
kwsmith6
Intermediate

In Texas there was a highway funding bill (I forget the number now, but you can probably find it with Goggle) this past summer that originally included the provision to change the requirement to one license plate. As I understand it the bill passed, but the provision for one plate was dropped in the final version. It probably depends on the cop, but it is easy revenue if they see the front of the car at an intersection and then watch you go by. I told the officer about pending bill and his response was that it was not a law yet. You can fight it, but trust me, it is not worth the 90 bucks. I know, I am fighting a speeding ticket now, and it is the same process.
Old 08-13-2005 | 12:23 PM
dhartger
Intermediate

I wonder if the TX state law (attempt) to change to one plate is part of the City of Houston vs. State of TX battle for and against red light cameras. I’ll bet no front plate would make it harder to implement a red light camera system, it would at least force Houston to make changes to the system so they could get a rear view of cars in the intersection.

All the cameras popping up around here are beginning to spook me.

Any state representative that is against red light cameras regardless of party or stance on other issues gets my vote.

I’ve never had a front plate on any of my cars and in over 300,000 miles I have never been pulled over for no front plate, or cited for no front plate during a traffic stop for other reasons.

Cars past and present with no front plate: Toyota Celica, Porsche 944, BMW M3, and BMW 740il. You can bet that my 997 will not have a front plate either.
Old 08-13-2005 | 12:26 PM
dhartger
Intermediate

Doc j,

Do you have a larger version of your avitar that you would be willing to share? Thats the first color that has a chance to sway me away from Speed Yellow.

Dan

Quick Reply: do you install the front license plate?