Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help: Anybody having issues with the Single CD and 6-disc?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005 | 01:07 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Default Need help: Anybody having issues with the Single CD and 6-disc?

I have a 6-disc as well as the single load in the head unit.

I've realized that when the 6-disc has cd's in it, the single-disc works erraticly.

Basically, it's a lottery as to when the single-cd will work.

I'll get a SINGLE CD UNREADABLE message. And the weird part is that it will continue to show itself/flash about 4 or 5 times, even if there is NO cd in the unit.

Then, just as randomly, it will work. I believe it might alternate between power cycles believe it or not. Not power cycles on the radio itself, but rather the car.

It might be also that if you were listening to the single-cd when you shut the car off, it won't work. It will eject, you can put the cd back in, but it still won't work.

THEN, just as weird, the next time you get in the car and start her up, you switch to single-cd and it works. You can eject it, re-insert and it works.

It's definitely bugged, just wondering if anybody else was experiencing these issues. The car is a 2006.
Old 01-13-2006 | 11:27 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

My single CD will play but will NOT eject. There's no manual eject option. It continues to play the disc that's in the player. When hitting the eject button, the message says the disc is being ejected, but it never ejects. Dealer has to replace PCM and head unit. I asked the dealer if this eject problem was unusual, and was told that "we've only seen this happen on 3 other cars". That seems like a pretty high failure rate to me - 3 cars at one dealer over approximately a 14 month period. Oh, and the dealer can't extract the CD from the head unit after it's removed because that would void the warranty return policy - so I'll have to either buy a new CD or wait weeks/months until the factory removes the CD and mails it back to me or the dealer. How hard is it to make an in-dash CD player that ejects reliably?
Old 01-13-2006 | 11:51 PM
MMD
Banned

Mee too, lots of bs trouble and then the finally changed the whole PCM unit. It's a computer, there's no "Norton Utilities" software; you are not going to fix it, it's not going to fix itself. Bring the thing in and have them put in a new PCM or SHOW you the specific technical service bulletin they're operating with that sez no PCM replacement is necessary. They d*cked around with mine for three trips before they got it right and replaced the whole unit.
Old 01-14-2006 | 12:04 AM
Cytoboy
Advanced

Same problem in my 07/05 build '06 997 C2S. I also notice the PCM screen "whiting out" at the same time, with vertical blue bars. This same whiteout occurs intermittently with the radio function as well. Sure hope that a replacement will solve the problem. Better yet, I would really like to know what the problem is in the first place, that may give me hope that this fault will not recur following unit replacement.
Old 01-14-2006 | 12:00 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

I have an earlier model and I sorta wish it WOULD break.
(They would have to replace it with the new one which plays Mp3 CD's )

But the damn thing is perfect. Any suggestions ??
Old 01-14-2006 | 01:03 PM
MMD
Banned

Default Read this and shutter to think

Originally Posted by Cytoboy
Sure hope that a replacement will solve the problem. Better yet, I would really like to know what the problem is in the first place, that may give me hope that this fault will not recur following unit replacement.
This is very funny to me (LOL). I guess we think similarly (?). When they fixed mine the third time (the most recent visit), the only thing on my mind was to find out the details so I could MAYBE start to feel confident the stupid thing would be FIXED so I wouldn't have to return AGAIN.

So I asked the guys what exactly did you do and will this be RELIABLE? (also thinking of post warrenty repair PITA prospects).

The funniest thing happened, which I never saw before. The guys shrugged and kinda looked at eachother (mechanic and svc manager) and didn't know what to say, They finally said, sheepishly, "well, yeah..., but..., well..., we don't know."

Keep in mind these guys are pretty good, I trust them, they've been in contact with Porsche about MY car and MY issue and yet they had that reaction!!

FRICKIN WEIRD!!!!! GO FIGURE!!! WOWOWOWOW!

Quick Reply: Need help: Anybody having issues with the Single CD and 6-disc?