Do you drive your car in the rain?

Old 08-03-2005, 05:10 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Been enjoying this thread

Guys,this is a great thread.

Pierre, you are my hero.

We get rain just about every day here in the summer. Driving in the rain is how I wash my daily driver (lol, I work from home-she's got 13,xxx on the odo) '03 C2. Honestly, 80 mph in the rain takes the Florida lizzard poop off of my "Silver Bullet" faster than the car wash can. This car has outstanding wet handling. It's a Porsche right? I love seeing what she'll do in different conditions. Dirt roads come to mind. The PDE skid-pad comes to mind too but that's another story. It's like I get to be the Porsche test driver. If I lived up north I'd probably own a C4 and I'd probably want to drive it in the ice and snow (though I somehow think our Audi allroad and GMC Yukon might come in handy up there). That's what insurance is for right? Seriously though, I like to take care of my cars but I expect them to do what cars are supposed to do. On the other hand I can completely understand the very strong urge to preserve these German works of artful engineering.

I worry about the hot Florida summer sun melting stuff more than anything else. But to tell the truth my Carrera has handled the heat -and just about everything else- nicely so far. She doesn't burn any oil and the cooling fans work great (knock on wood). And thank the Lord for window tinting.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:26 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm, its my car and I'll do with it as I please. This is begining to sound like the clear side marker thread.

I'm not doing for my resale, I'm doing it for me. Its just one of my idiosyncrasies, everyone has one of those. Something you do that makes no sense or little sense except to you. Plus, don't forget, my 997 isn't my daily driver.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:33 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Um, I think that one is directed at me. Tex, of course it's your car and you can do as you like. But the dirty undercarriage/dirty underwear part is very wierd. If you don't think so, OK. But it would be smarter not to bare your soul on this one. Just say, "I just don't drive it in the rain". Didn't mean to offend you, but it's kind of like someone saying, " My mom doesn't shower with me any more" TMI. AS
Old 08-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

Texas911- Once a week I take my car through a local Laser wash. It is touch-free, nothing but water and for an extra $1, it has a strong underbody wash. It works well because I have a lift in my garage and the underbody looks like new and my 997S will be one year old next month. Don't worry, we all have our things. I have a friend who cleans his wheels everyday, inside and out.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

pierre's carpet was not available at the Gambler 100. 2003
i was so worried about my dirty undercarraige, i didnt notice the body!!!

Last edited by Sun Ra; 03-29-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wattsy, your car's dirty!...
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Porsche's in the snow are the best!!
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2005, 12:45 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone help me here, but I believe Porsche and Audi were the first manufacturers to use steel that was galvanized on both sides, thereby making them pretty much rust-proof. Earlier Porsches could have some serious rust issues, so I can understand the reluctance of those that suffered those consequences to be reluctant to run later cars in the rain.

Anyway, my favorite drive of all time was in the rain. I drove the 996 Targa through an incredible lightning storm. There were lightning bolts visible everywhere through the glass roof overhead, as well as all around me--it was just awesome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you drive your car in the rain?