Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you drive your car in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 01:27 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Rain? No problem... but it's the 2 mile dirt road into my cottage where we live all summer that's got me peeved!! Very little rain this summer makes for a VERY dusty road...I cringe when I look into the engine compartment....
But it's a car right? So it needs to be driven, right? (my left side brain trying to convince my right side brain)
Old 08-02-2005, 12:02 PM
johnag007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I live in London.........................
Old 08-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Rain? No problem... but it's the 2 mile dirt road into my cottage where we live all summer that's got me peeved!! Very little rain this summer makes for a VERY dusty road...I cringe when I look into the engine compartment....
But it's a car right? So it needs to be driven, right? (my left side brain trying to convince my right side brain)
when i lived on my ranch in Sonoita, AZ, it was 2 miles dirt to the highway, which i did daily in my 993 TT and then my 996. When it rained, it turned to mud 2-4 inches deep and playing point and squirt with the TT was a blast!!! a great time for 4 wheel drive.

In Malibu when it rains big time we get mudslides down on the road and i have fond memories of pounding thru the mud in the Argento Strad last winter and various porsches before...

i also drove my 91 C@ CAB way into ranches in Montana, Wyoming and Nevada and spent weeks with mud up to the windows. the car loved it.

Great technique, Pierre, you got a lot of exercise rolling that carpet for 100,000 miles infront of your turbo!!!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:05 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

In Germany they drive the 911 in the rain....and fast. Although I have other cars to choose from, the 997 is my daily driver. I don't drive it in the snow because it won't drive in the snow. At the end of the day, it may be the most exciting car I've ever owned....but it is just a car.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pierre
I only have a 996, but I try to avoid driving when it's sunny too: strong sun-beams could alter the paint and dry the leather dashboard. So I only drive when it's a bit cloudy, but not enough to have rain.
Besides that, I of course installed a clear bra under the car in order to fully protect the underbody. Don't want to have it chipped when I'll sell my car!
Oh, and all these little stones on the road make the tires look very bad after a short drive already! So I always deploy a 10m long carpet (with Porsche logo, of course) in front of my car, drive 10m, deploy a second identical carpet, drive 10m, take the first carpet from back to front, drive 10m, and so on. Just in case some dust lands onto the carpet, I always carry a vacuum-cleaner in the car. This way, my tires stay clean.
Needless to say, I also always wear my anti-dust suit, gloves and either a helmet or at least a bath-cap. Hey, I don't want hair or little bits of dead skin falling down under the seats! This could make the car impossible to sell one day!...
Oh boy... It's incredible how much fun I have when I drive my Porsche...

Greetings,
--Pierre

good one Pierre, we have all seen what you do with the Turbo in the swiss snow

I love driving in the rain, dry or wet its still the same car and its just as fun in its own way, why take a boring SUV/sedanr when its wet outside? thats what the 911 is for, how does the rain change things?, driving in the rain can be a lot of fun, I enjoy it too personally.
The only thing I don't drive in the rain is the Sportbike, but only becuase with the DOT legal race tires it has it would putting a nail on your own coffin.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:12 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

This is an amazing, totally bizarre recurring question. The cars were designed to be driven in all weather, so what possible good reason is ther for leaving them in the garage? I accept that snow means you need snow tires, which not all have, and that snow carries a risk of someone plowing into you. Rain is not an obstacle. The cars wash off well. Pierre is leading by good example. As an aside, doesn't everybody learn how to slide a car in wet weather first? AS
Old 08-02-2005, 05:23 PM
dnp_now
Instructor

I drive it whenever I can. However in a hard rain or if its raining at night here, I opt for the suv if given the choice. Its because the roads are not the best here, and at night its hard to see the potholes especially if its filled with water.

That would be the only reason why I would not drive in the rain. But most of the time I'm already driving my 911 when it starts to rain
Old 08-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carlos from Spain
good one Pierre, we have all seen what you do with the Turbo in the swiss snow
I only like rain when it's white. See pics below!
(BTW, Carlos, your S looks great in a sunny fishers' village )

Watt, I'm running quite a lot (gagathon and stuff), so the the carpet-thing just is part of the training.

On a serious note, my rear tires (Pirelli Corsa) are now pretty bad and have almost no profile anymore. And of course, we had some heavy rain this afternoon. So I crawled back home, doing only 80-90 km/h on the highway. I really think that was the limit. Most of the other cars were of course faster (some of them way too fast, but that's another story), and the drivers were probably thinking their grand-ma would drive that Porsche faster! Well, adapting your speed and driving style to the current road and car conditions is a must. (As a sidenote, I raced at this year's 24h of the N'ring, and we had everything from dry to hail and snow. Very entertaining...)

Ciao
--Pierre
Attached Images    
Old 08-02-2005, 07:40 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the reason I don't drive in the rain. The main reason is I don't like a dirty undercarriage for my nice car, seems like even if you wash it and the undercarriage is dirty, its like taking a bath and putting your dirty underwear back on. Anyway, maybe its the collector wannabe in me, I've been checking out classic cars and the Concours cars look like they just left the factory, including the undercarriage.

Second, I live in Houston, where it can rain 6 inches of rain in a couple of hours, causing a flood. For me its peace of mind not to drive in the rain amidst Suburbans and Expeditions (not to mention F350's) which are very very prevelant in Texas. I'm not worried about my driving, I'm worried about those bozos in the big trucks that drive in the rain as if it wasn't raining. But to each their own. I know the 997 can take rain driving, I just use my God given Amercian Freedom of Choice not to drive my 997 in the rain. Anyway, I try to switch cars every once and a while, which is fun.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:07 PM
dnp_now
Instructor

For ceratin so cali drivers do not know how to drive in the rain....Its scary sometimes to see the way the drive in a downpour. Its almost as if they drive even faster when its raining, because they want to get out of the rain quicker
Old 08-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texas911
I don't like a dirty undercarriage for my nice car, seems like even if you wash it and the undercarriage is dirty, its like taking a bath and putting your dirty underwear back on.
No, it's like taking a shower, getting dressed, putting on your shoes, and noticing that the soles of your shoes are dirty. Nothing strange there at all. I think I sense a little OCD behaviour here.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

This is my 5th Porsche in 10 years (997S) and my first daily driver. I finally learned that trading in a perfect, low mileage Porsche was more of a benefit for the next guy at my loss... This time, I'm enjoying putting all the miles on the car, rain or shine.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:37 AM
SoCalFalco
6th Gear

Originally Posted by texas911
Here is the reason I don't drive in the rain. The main reason is I don't like a dirty undercarriage for my nice car, seems like even if you wash it and the undercarriage is dirty, its like taking a bath and putting your dirty underwear back on. rain.
Uh, what?! Undercarriage dirty??? WTF?! Man, i feel for you, how do you handle the tires rolling on that dirty asphalt. Must kill you.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:11 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take great of of my 997S and some (lying all) of the people who know me can attest to you that I am **** as hell about my weekend drivers. Shopping? Forget it, won't leave my car parked parallel next to the idiot that will surely bang it with his door when I return. If I go to a restaurant or stay at a hotel, its important that (1) No vallet person touches my car and (2) I feel somewhat comfortable in the spot and area that its parked at (no parallel parking too close). But for the life of me I cannot understand how anyone would not drive their car in the rain (minus the hail of course). You wash your cars regularly, even take them to automatic car washes (some of you), so why would you hesitate if showers are in the forcast? If the underside gets dirty clean it! Your local auto body shop sells undercarriage spray. Just spray it on and hose it off.. no scrubbling necessary. Finally, what you are missing is a car that is truly unparalled by any other in its capability to handle wet weather. Its almost a false sense of control and no other car does it as well as a 911 or better stated, a 997S! I can only imagine the sense of security one feels in an all wheel drive Porsche. The 911 is in its glory on wet pavement and stops/corners on a dime nonetheless, but keep your eyes open and leave PSM "on". The answer is to enjoy the capabilities of your car but drive extra defensively . Ive been in 2 heavy downpours in my 997S and can tell you first hand that this car is a champ rain or shine!
Old 08-03-2005, 03:40 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Tex, You need to reread this a few times.
"Here is the reason I don't drive in the rain. The main reason is I don't like a dirty undercarriage for my nice car, seems like even if you wash it and the undercarriage is dirty, its like taking a bath and putting your dirty underwear back on. "Here is the reason I don't drive in the rain. The main reason is I don't like a dirty undercarriage for my nice car, seems like even if you wash it and the undercarriage is dirty, its like taking a bath and putting your dirty underwear back on.
Here is the reason I don't drive in the rain. The main reason is I don't like a dirty undercarriage for my nice car, seems like even if you wash it and the undercarriage is dirty, its like taking a bath and putting your dirty underwear back on. Anyway, maybe its the collector wannabe in me, I've been checking out classic cars and the Concours cars look like they just left the factory, including the undercarriage.
Notice, it doesn't sound any better the more you say it. Isn't there dirt on the tires too? And in the air cleaner. Yich! I think I'd loosen the belt a little. AS

Quick Reply: Do you drive your car in the rain?