Sponsored by:

The Fake Quad Tips Exposed

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 01:48 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default The Fake Quad Tips Exposed

All along I had thought that the reason others here were calling the Quad Tips fake was because it was just a "Y" junction and not the actual juxtaposition of two independent exhaust pipes. While this very point was raised and discussed here, I really didn't think there was any shame in having a "Y" termination split. Until I took delivery and examined mine, that is.

Not only are they fake in the functional sense, but (as you can see below) they are fake in appearance - a shameless façade meant to give the false illusion that the tips are the actual tips of fat pipes that extend further in. I’m reminded of the lyrics of Pete Townshend of The Who, "It's an eminence front - it's a put on, it's a put on!"

Anyway, I was about to give them my polishing treatment when I realized I really didn't want to highlight the entire façade at all. Why draw attention to the façade and invite ridicule. So instead I just polished the outer rings for a unique Lord of the Rings look.

I started with 400 grit sand paper to remove all surface blemishes and manufacturing marks, then followed up with 800 grit paper to remove the 400 grit scratches, and then used 2000 grit for the final sanding process. To bring out the high gloss I used 000 steel wool with P21S metal polisher to give it that dazzling chrome look. Oh, most importantly, I wore a pair of 3X reading glasses that I have just for super up-close magnification so I could see the removal of the scratch marks. (Hey, I admit it, I'm a real detail fanatic. I mapped out the car's entire surface with those glasses just so I can find any fine surface scratches and remove them immediately.)
Attached Images         

Last edited by OCBen; 01-12-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:52 AM
OCBen
Banned

Does anyone know how to attach commentary text to photos? Is this done with imaging software perhaps? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:57 AM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel exactly the same way as you do, felt this way from teh beginning ( a year ago?) when I saw them in a magazine with a picture of the exhaust system.

I'm gonna get non-S tailpieces on Ebay for a dime. Gonna get rid of the "poser" quads. I think they make us look like fools. Take a look at the pontiac and its fake "Y" quads!

From a refined design standpoint which looks better:
Old 07-23-2005, 01:59 AM
MMD
Banned

Oh, Forgot to mention: I might paint mine matt black when I get the car home for the first time.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:18 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

In case you're interested, here's a better view of the standard 997S "dual" tips. Earlier I was actually posting erroneous comments about the PSE dual tips, claiming that one of the pipes was totally a dummy. Stupid me didn't realize that PSE comes with two pipes running out of the muffler, one for each of the twin tip pipes, making them "real".

So the solution is not to go to a single tailpipe, but to get PSE!!
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2005, 02:37 AM
OCBen
Banned

MMD: Yeah, I remember well your disdain for them. But paint them matt black? Now that would be going to an extreme. Maybe you can unbolt them.

jcnesq: Speaking of which, is that bolt seen in your pic the means for removing them? It may not be that obvious in my pics but the left tips hang about a half inch lower than the right side. Do you know if adjusting that bolt will lift it up or will the entire exhaust system need to be tweaked to take up the difference? Btw, I would seriously consider PSE if not for the increase in sound, which it seems is a primary reason people get it, for a louder exhaust. Mine is loud enough for my GT purposes.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:00 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Ben - can't answer your question. My dealer installed Fabspeed exhaust, which wasn't loud enough for me (Fabspeed has a single exhaust pipe), and then a week later I replaced it with PSE and new tips. However, I recall (on the Fabspeed) seeing a bracket that holds the pipe that comes from the muffler - if you were standing under the car on a lift it would be to the left up under the rear fender (on the left side), that allows you to adjust the pipe, thereby adjusting the level of the tips.

Yes, the main if not only reason for PSE is sound (I am skeptical about any additional HP claims). If you want to cheaply add a little sound without PSE, I recommend the Fabspeed cold air kit - it made a nice and noticeable difference when I installed it with my 997S stock mufflers - nothing dramatic, but noticeable.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:46 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reminds me of the Dinan Exhaust for the M3. one of the 2 banks of dual exhausts is fake. so in the winter, mist only comes out of one side.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:22 AM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

And I thought Porsche design was all about "form follows function"... oh well!
Old 07-23-2005, 09:22 AM
merbesfield
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts

This is why I decided to order the PSE from the factory from the beginning. Yea, it cost a little more, but time is money.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Maryle8802
Advanced

"Lord of the rings look" -- pretty creative!

Can anyone commene on option "X54" -- Stainless, Chrome Plated Exhaust Pipes? Does that just enhance the poseur look? Why would P offer X54 etc.? TIA.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:57 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by jcnesq
PSE comes with two pipes running out of the muffler, one for each of the twin tip pipes, making them "real".
:
So the PSE is the same set up!? They just make one pipe slightly smaller to increase the illusion of functionality? Talk about overdoing it.

Sorry Gents, I'll never get PSE; now completely bogus (IMHO). Very sad what mass marketing is doing to products. Making us all look like we're braindead.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:07 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche marketing has taken over the design of the tips. Quad looks better but is fake. Oval looks good but it really is just a funnel of the smaller diameter pipe. If you can accept the fact that these are both cosmetic items, you should just pick the one that looks best because that they are for.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:48 PM
DD694
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCBen
MMD: Yeah, I remember well your disdain for them. But paint them matt black? Now that would be going to an extreme. Maybe you can unbolt them.

jcnesq: Speaking of which, is that bolt seen in your pic the means for removing them? It may not be that obvious in my pics but the left tips hang about a half inch lower than the right side. Do you know if adjusting that bolt will lift it up or will the entire exhaust system need to be tweaked to take up the difference? Btw, I would seriously consider PSE if not for the increase in sound, which it seems is a primary reason people get it, for a louder exhaust. Mine is loud enough for my GT purposes.
The bolt on the exhaust tips, when loosened, allows adjustment of the tip position in virtually any direction within its range of motion.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:52 PM
DD694
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMD
So the PSE is the same set up!? They just make one pipe slightly smaller to increase the illusion of functionality? Talk about overdoing it.

Sorry Gents, I'll never get PSE; now completely bogus (IMHO). Very sad what mass marketing is doing to products. Making us all look like we're braindead.

I just checked my 997S with PSE ON full-time at idle and I can feel exhaust coming out of BOTH outer and inner exhaust outlets. If this is true at idle, I have no reason to believe that it is different at any other speed.

Quick Reply: The Fake Quad Tips Exposed