Child Seat Airbag Deactivation Update / Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 02:54 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Child Seat Airbag Deactivation Update / Q's

Several months ago I finally was able to get the parts kit for the child seat airbag deactivation, but the installation was aborted because the necessary software was not available. At the time, they said the early build 997's had an earlier version of the computer and that special software was coming.

Today I finally heard that in order to install the kit, the airbag control module must be replaced (I think this was for all pre-May 05 builds). The airbag control module costs about $400 (the deactivation kit was p/n 997-044-800-10 and cost $241). Dealer said this is at my cost. I had the service GM call Porsche, which he did (for me and another customer, both of us long-time customers and multiple Porsche owners), but he was told this is an "accessory" and, therefore, that replacing the airbag control module was a customer expense.

I am somewhat miffed that I should pay for a new airbag control module. The manual (yes I ) does state the deactivation kit must be installed as an after sales accessory, but the implication is that it could be installed in the car without further modification.

Any experiences with this, thoughts, etc.??
Old 07-13-2005, 12:49 PM
SoCal Alan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also ordered the air-bag deactivation kit. I never picked it up but I paid for it. (too busy, besides my child is under six so he can't sit in the front seat in California by law) Anyways, this sounds like "bait and switch".
Old 07-13-2005, 12:51 PM
S4to911
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 27 Posts

A quick question (don't flame me mercilessly for asking it). How old are your children?

I have a three year old (34 lbs) that sits in the back seat of my 997 in a Graco forward facing seat with a 5 point restraint. My 5 and 7 year olds sit in Britax comfy boosters in rear seats with the backs removed. (it's great when they say--"Daddy, put in in "sport" mode and go faster!")

I thought about airbag deactivation and putting the child seat in the front, but my wife would hear none of it.

If you have a small child (less than one year or so) I think that the portable carrier type rear facing seats fit OK in the back without the base.

Just trying to save you aggravation...
Old 07-13-2005, 06:30 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

My oldest is 35 - let him drive it a few days ago (I hate letting anyone drive it!), but he has finally reached the "age of maturity".

I have a 3.5 y/o daughter, and she sits in back behind the passenger seat. I just replaced my several year old Porsche mid-size seat (which fit like crap in the back) with an Eddie Bauer, larger, leather seat, but still with 5 point harness until she gets just a little bigger.

I also have a newborn (7 weeks). The problem is I drive with my seat almost all the way back, and there is no way I could get either kid behind me. Therefore, with both kids, about the only choice is to put the infant in the passenger seat, rear facing, with the airbag deactivation kit. While I take my daughter everywhere and she is a frequent passenger, it will probably be rarer that I have both kids in the car, but still there will be runs to the sitter now and then. We have a Cayenne S as a family hauler.

With the new California law that requires that kids be in the backseat, I am hoping that the "impossibility" of putting a child behind the driver's seat will qualify under the exceptions in the law.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:13 PM
kwsmith6
Intermediate

I have been waiting to get the airbag deactivation installed in my car. The dealer had the kit when I picked up the car in January, but then Porsche told them there was a hold on the install until further notice. Your experience probably explains the problem, because they said Porsche had told them it was a software problem.

For most cars, the back seat is clearly the safest location for a child seat, but I am not sure about a rear-engine Porsche. If you are rear ended, does the engine get pushed into the child seat? There is no crush space back there. It is all engine and the seats are even vertical to give the engine more room. I think there is a reason Porsche has always had a front seat solution.

I told the dealer I did not want the car unless they had the air-bag deactivation since there are times I have to haul one of my kids. I took it based on Porsche figuring it out soon, and I have been bugging my dealer for the solution. I do not think it is fair that Porsche now wants to charge for the new airbag modules. I had a perfectly good 996 Turbo Cab with the front seat air bag deactivation installed. I could have waited until they had the promised solution figured out.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:56 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

kwsmith6 - I'm sure your situation is the same as mine. A few months back, I was told that in order to install the kit then, they would have to swap out the "computer" (in retrospect, I think this meant airbag module). They said they were working on the software so that would not be required. Now they have the software and the installation bulletin, BUT now they say you need a new airbag module too, at your own cost. Your case is even clearer than mine since you were told that you just needed the kit and software.

Maybe its time for you to clarify with your dealer what is required, let them contact PCNA and, assuming you are told the same thing as me, we should all start raising hell. It's bad enough that it costs $600-$700 for the kit and installation, but in my mind to have to replace a $400 airbag module when they clearly advertised they would have the kit to plug in, is not very good business. I will probably raise some hell with PCNA over this, and if we have multiple people doing the same thing, maybe we will get somewhere.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:53 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

I'm bumping this hoping for more opinions. Guess that child seats is not a popular issue. But I would appreciate anyone's comments about whether I should raise hell over having to replace the airbag module or just grin and bear it?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:46 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

It seems like you may have a new reason to raise hell. In the post from Fred 993C4S, the 2006 passenger seat apparently now has "...smart airbags that deactivate when it senses that a small person or child is occupying that seat so no more airbag deactivation kit for around $1K!!!!!!"
Old 07-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Fred 993C4S
Advanced

guys, here a couple of pictures of the warning light both on and off:
Attached Images   
Old 07-29-2005, 09:36 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Fred - is that an 06? or an 05 with the kit installed?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Fred 993C4S
Advanced

here is a close up of the light itself:
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Fred 993C4S
Advanced

06, just picked it up this afternoon.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:38 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Thanks, and congrats! Get out and drive it!
Old 07-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Fred 993C4S
Advanced

jcnesq,

Thanks, I'll do it tomorrow for sure. I now have to go put my 4 yo daughter in bed than i have a lot of manuals to read!

I hop you can get a resolution from porsche on the seat belt disbling kit. It sure is a piece of mind to have it disabled when you decide to carry a child in front.

Quick Reply: Child Seat Airbag Deactivation Update / Q's