Sponsored by:

C4S test on Edmunds.com...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005 | 02:10 PM
texas911
Race Car

Default C4S test on Edmunds.com...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106184

I guess now we know why the rockers are not painted on the C4's.
Old 07-07-2005 | 03:08 PM
greglionb
Instructor

Thanks for posting that. Great read.
Old 07-07-2005 | 03:36 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Really wish they could have kept the rear reflector... shame.
Old 07-08-2005 | 04:37 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

What is board opinion on 996 C4S holding its value because it seems to be more "unique" car versus new 997 C4S......my opinion is that 996 is better looking, but I may be biased.............engine upgrade to higher hp is great, which was not done on 996, but still think 996 C4S will be more appreciated as time goes by...........I know 993 C4S held price for quite a while due to low production numbers and 996 C4S emulated its style with reflector, etc and production was not that high and lower than turbo in later years.........guess real question is will the reflector look and curves of side panels make the 996 C4s a classic and coveted in the future..........personally the new C4S did not motivate me to trade my 996..........also the front grill is not copy of more exclusive Turbo front as the 996 is and not special in my opinion..........?
Old 07-08-2005 | 04:42 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Default forgot 996 special rear end vents........more unique again..

vents also a special touch.........on 996........not trying to pit boards against each other, just looking for opinions...........and didn't notice I was on 997 board.....I usually hop from 993 to 997 or 996, etc.....thx.........
Old 07-08-2005 | 05:56 PM
blkc4sny
Instructor

If you go for looks the 996 C4S is the clear winner and the rear delector gives it a uniqueness. However, the new 997 C4S, appears to be a better car overall improved version. I believe once you drive one, you might not be lured by the older unique body style but then again beauty is a personal choice, speed and performance is not. I was this close on buying a new 996 C4S, but after taking a DE course and driving in one for 3 days, I could not accept the lower torque performance of the 996C4S, compared to my former E46M3, this was a huge delimena for me not to buy this car, because it handled magnificently, the best handling sports car I had ever driven but it just didn't have the torque/hp that I wanted in a Porsche. In the end, I bought a new GT3, and wow, what a performance experience, amazing how it keeps on pulling in every gear, even though its really a race car, which is makes it challenging to use as a daily driver. If I ever grow tired of it, I would definitely look at the 997, C2 or C4S, they're all great cars, I'm sure.
Old 07-09-2005 | 10:10 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blkc4sny
If you go for looks the 996 C4S is the clear winner and the rear delector gives it a uniqueness. However, the new 997 C4S, appears to be a better car overall improved version. I believe once you drive one, you might not be lured by the older unique body style but then again beauty is a personal choice, speed and performance is not. I was this close on buying a new 996 C4S, but after taking a DE course and driving in one for 3 days, I could not accept the lower torque performance of the 996C4S, compared to my former E46M3, this was a huge delimena for me not to buy this car, because it handled magnificently, the best handling sports car I had ever driven but it just didn't have the torque/hp that I wanted in a Porsche. In the end, I bought a new GT3, and wow, what a performance experience, amazing how it keeps on pulling in every gear, even though its really a race car, which is makes it challenging to use as a daily driver. If I ever grow tired of it, I would definitely look at the 997, C2 or C4S, they're all great cars, I'm sure.

Maybe we had different M3's because i find the torque in the C4S far more friendly, useful and fun than my SMG'd M3. The overall throttle feel in this car is far more enjoyable than my ex M3.

You have really lost me on those comments
Old 07-09-2005 | 10:52 PM
blkc4sny
Instructor

I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion when you already have a difference in HP and Torque , the M3 is the winner here. If you recall the redline of the M3 was nearly 8K, the 996 from what I recall would hit the rev limiter at 7300rpm. I'm a big Porsche fan, and certainly know the M3 is not a sports car, but a very nice bang for the buck, a great sports sedan. Without a doubt the 996 outhandles the M3. One of things that I never liked about the M3 was the amount of body roll in the corners and twisties. Don't get me wrong, but there are Porscheofiles out here that have said the C4S is all show but no go. I agree the 996 C4S is the best of the best when it comes to its looks, but I can't get over how I hit the rev limiter so many times at the DE I took in Leipzig 2 years ago, which made opt for the GT3.

Quick Reply: C4S test on Edmunds.com...