Sponsored by:

First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 02:34 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default First Impressions

My apologies for not posting sooner regarding the delivery and pickup of my new car, but I’m sure I can be excused for wanting to spend quality precious first moments with my new baby.

As I last posted, I received an email Thursday morning informing me that my car had cleared port inspection and processing, and was in the queue awaiting truck transport. My sales rep told me it could possibly come in Saturday but that it was more than likely coming in on Monday or Tuesday. Well, around seven that evening, as I was watching game seven of the NBA finals and didn’t want to be disturbed, I got a phone call from the dealership. It was Michelle, my sales rep, exclaiming, “This is the phone call you’ve been waiting for!”

Stigt reminded me to take my camera with me to work so that afterwards I could take some initial pictures though the car might not yet be ready for pickup, which was the case. As I had mentioned, Michelle had brought her camera to take a picture of the car in its shipping wraps, knowing that I would appreciate that, bless her heart. But unfortunately her camera misfired and the picture didn’t take. When I got there the car had been completely checked out, thanks to Michelle for expediting it for me, the gas tank filled, and the car washed awaiting waxing by the detail crew. Lucky for me the crew chief was on his break and I was able to pry the car away from them as is, with minor adhesive residuals from the plastic film, telling them that I would gladly pay them to let me do the waxing myself.

The paperwork processing took an unbearable amount of time. Only one finance guy had shown up that day and I had to wait and wait until this couple with their restless little kid was shopping for extended warranties and were pondering the possible options while I stood outside the office leaning against a wall waiting to write a $100.5k check. I had skipped lunch and my hunger was making the already torturous wait even more so. Some three hours later I was finally taking my baby home and the hunger pangs magically disappeared.

The first thing I noticed was the embarrassingly cheap looking black seatbelt, so thin and narrow compared to the ones in my $20k Nissan 300ZX which are color matched to the interior. The next thing I noticed were the small side mirrors, much smaller than on the 986/996. I’m still not used to that. Why couldn’t Porsche have kept the same mirror size as on the 986/996? I like seeing as much as possible when I use them. Guess I like Testarossa sized mirrors.

The willing engine came to life instantly, though it took me a second to first find the key hole in the ignition. It’s position is not exactly as on a 986/996. Still not used to it, still have to look to find it. Only 8.4 miles on the odometer – not bad. The sport shifter shifted crisply into gear and away I drove, taking the back streets home. I let out the clutch too quickly on a first to second shift and the car leaped forward, shoving me back against the seat, giving me a taste of the 3.8L’s power. I am so glad I ordered the sport shifter - the shifts are so crisp and positive. Granted, when it’s cold, shifting into 1st is a little stiff, just as it was on my Boxster’s 6-speed, but after it warms up I don’t notice it. I’m sure once the shifter is fully broken in it’ll be like butter. It’s easy to observe the 4200 rpm break-in limit, since on the front-and-center, in-your-face, tach the 4 is straight up in the 12 O’clock position.

The car has the feel of a longer wheelbase, longer than the Boxster’s, though I don’t think that’s the case. It definitely feels more massive than the nimble Boxster, like there’s more machinery at work, like a supercar of sorts. The ride is very assuring, yet comfortable enough for long trips. I really love the ride feel.

Once I got my baby home the wife was like “WOW!” She was, after all, the one who had talked me into getting Seal Grey, which by the way is a misleading name for the color. As you can see in Stigt’s macro shot of his hood badge, a close-up of this metallic paint reveals that it is actually a silver color, a shade darker than artic. I guess “Seal Silver” or “Grey Silver” doesn’t have quite the marketing appeal as Seal Grey, as if that was really descriptive. But this metallic color is really a silver color, and what a color it is. I am so grateful to my wife for convincing me of the elegance and beauty of this unique color.

It was dusk as we headed out for some ice cream - our first ride together in the car. The instrument panel with all the glowing gauges and tiny little lights everywhere gave the cockpit an aircraft feel about it, at least the feel of serious complex machinery. Whoever convinced me to get the auto-dimming mirrors (MJones I believe), I want to thank you wholeheartedly. Wow, how could I ever have doubted to get this! As we were heading out we couldn’t figure out how to get the SIM card to fit in, try and try as we did. The PCM manual is outdated and doesn’t have instructions for the phone module. (Michelle has ordered an updated manual for me.) It wasn’t until Saturday during the day that my wife figured it out as she was able to see the tiny outline of how the card should fit in. IT GOES IN UPSIDE DOWN, with the metal contacts facing up! I called one of my buddies to test out the phone. Talk about spacey! The stereo muted as we heard the ring tones coming through. When he answered I told him we were calling from the car and his voice was coming through the speakers. He said, “You mean I’m coming through the Bose speakers?” I told him yeah and that my wife was present so watch what he says. I was able to adjust the listening volume with the volume control on the steering wheel. He told me I was coming through nice and clear as well. His full name displayed right there in the tach display, which blew him away when I told him. My wife soon discovered the useless (her words), undersized visors. She has an aversion to direct sunlight. One of the reasons I got rid of the Boxster. She never liked to drive with the top down in the sun. So I used that as justification for getting a Porsche coupe – a top of the line Carrera S coupe that is.

This car has everything I was looking for in a Porsche. I don’t see myself trading this in for another one anytime soon. This is a definite keeper. I’ll post more regarding my impressions and I’ll post more pics than you’d ever care to see. I have a lot to learn about the car and I will be spending a lot of quality time with her. Forgive me for being so long-winded and giddy. I think I’m in love.

At dealership:
Attached Images  

Last edited by OCBen; 06-27-2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:43 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWRIGHT OCBen!!!!! Great news! Your long wait is over and real-life begins! Congratulations.

Thanks for the report. Sounds good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 03:54 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, enjoy your new ride!
Old 06-27-2005, 04:03 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. Like you, I find Seal Grey to be my favorite color.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:13 PM
GT3BB
Racer

Congrats, did you remove the CarreraS logo on the rear?
Old 06-27-2005, 04:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Thanks guys. No, I ordered the "Delete Model Designation."
Old 06-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 160 Posts

Enjoyed reading your "first impressions." The color is probably the "classiest" of all the Porsche colors. And the tush looks very clean without the badging. More pics, please, when you get a chance.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 276 Posts

OC Ben - first, congratulations, and very well-said. Believe me, after over 5k miles and 4 months of ownership, you don't lose the thrill. Something I read here a while back has really begun resonating with me recently, especially after installing the Porsche sport shifter on my 997, is: Have you DRIVEN your 911 today?

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera (Arctic Silver/Black)
Old 06-27-2005, 05:41 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 258 Posts

Congrats OCBen It looks like mine will be further delayed as the dealership's Porsche "wake-up" computer quit this morning. Until it's replaced, my car remains dormant and in their care.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:24 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

OCBEN- Nice write up. Could feel your excitement. Thanks for sharing. Now how about more pictures!
Old 06-27-2005, 06:27 PM
OCBen
Banned

Young Turk: Thanks! Glad to hear that after 5k miles you don't have to sing the blues with BB King and proclaim "The Thrill is Gone!"

Peter: Thanks alot bud. Hey sorry to hear about the delay. I sure hope they get that computer up and running without further delay so you can start enjoying your sweet ride. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise since you haven't made up your mind on wheel selection, giving you a little more time to make the choice you won't end up regretting. I'll try to post pics soon of my wheels from an angle that really shows their uniqueness so you can have another pic for consideration.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:49 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Wow! Beautiful car and glad the wait is over for you...These damn things are a blast everytime you get in to drive it!

Post more pics soon please!
Old 06-27-2005, 07:22 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Always love reading posts like these.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:03 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

I know how you feel. Good heavens I love this car.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:36 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post OCBen. I was wondering what happened to you over the past days - I figured you were sleeping in your beauty!

I am so jealous - even more so that other July waiters are getting production dates and all I have is a flesh eating ear infection while typing internet posts in my bed.

-adam

Quick Reply: First Impressions