Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 10:44 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats. The hard part is getting over the break in and deciding if you want to clear bra the car.

What options did you get?

I can still recall the day I picked up my 996 cab from the truck w my GF. Detailed it right after it landed and we took a ride in the hills after that.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:00 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Ben you can feel the love in your story. I have to agree with you mine is a keeper as well. Enjoy the ride, break it in nice. Congratulations once again.

Jay
Old 06-27-2005, 11:20 PM
stigt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Nice write up too. I can sympathize with your frustrations with the finance guy. There was only 1 guy ahead of me waiting for the finance and he got out in about 15 minutes. I had check in hand, so I figured I'd be out driving in no time. Instead the finance guy went into excruciating detail of all sorts of leasing options even though he saw that I already had the check written out. He just didn't seem to want to back off the lease and basically made me feel like I was a fool for not doing it. He then offered some 50/50 lease that he only offered to "special" customers (yeah right). Once past that he then started the hard-sell on extended warranty, lojack, etc. Finally he mentioned that I seemed in a hurry and if that was the case then a lease was less paperwork. Geez, don't they understand that we just want to get out and drive the new car? And is it really that uncommon or fool to not lease? I wanted to write up this only negative part of the experience on the follow-up survey, but was told that I had to give perfect marks in order to get the free-bees (i.e. key chains, hats, etc.). How is Porsche supposed to get any valid feedback on their dealerships if everyone plays this game (same thing happen to be with BMW so it's not unique to Porsche).

Anyway, glad to hear that you're enjoying the new ride...
Old 06-28-2005, 12:46 AM
PV
Pro

Keep them coming those stories. Nice first impressions. Congrats and stay safe!
Old 06-28-2005, 01:11 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stigt
... I can sympathize with your frustrations with the finance guy. There was only 1 guy ahead of me waiting for the finance and he got out in about 15 minutes. I had check in hand, so I figured I'd be out driving in no time. Instead the finance guy went into excruciating detail of all sorts of leasing options even though he saw that I already had the check written out...
Hey Stig, guess I wasn't alone experiencing frustration at the checkout line. That's hilarious that there you are with check in hand - cashola - and this guy is talking leasing. Obviously he wasn't the owner because if he had been, he'd know that cash is king in any business. I would have told him to save his breath.

I myself got a little frustrated being made to wait outside with a check of that size. You'd think the finance guy would have gone out of his way to take care of me first like the high-rollers are taken care of in Vegas. But noooooo. At one point I barged in, excusing myself, and asking the finance guy what the exact amount was so I could have the check written out in advance to save time. I can get assertive at times, especially if I feel I'm being ignored or neglected. He did apologize profusely and I accepted his apology, and when he mentioned Lo-Jack and other options I told him some other time, but that right now I just want to drive away, and he quickly processed me through in no time. Whew! That was actually the worst part. It was as though the 6 mo. wait was condensed and intensified in that half hour or so of waiting. It was downright awful. I hope no one else goes through that.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:41 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 160 Posts

It's amazing that auto dealerships do not understand the lasting impression a negative experience with an over-zealous "finance guy" can make. And, if any dealer should be cognizant of this, a high-end dealer (like Porsche) would be the one.
When a customer is spending this kind of money for a new vehicle, and especially if they've waited several months for delivery, the last thing they want is to sit across the desk from some insensitive employee trying to sell them things they are not interested in buying.
I have gone so far as to tell the Sales Manager during a purchase negotiation that if the "finance person" tried to sell me "ANYTHING extra," I would void the sale. It actually worked at an Infiniti dealer.
That whole "sell 'em a load of 'pure profit' extras" approach is really "old school." I wouldn't expect it from a Porsche dealer....but, you never know.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:42 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by djantlive
Congrats. The hard part is getting over the break in and deciding if you want to clear bra the car...
Thanks. I have an appointment to get the 3M Aerospace film (clear bra) installed this Thursday. I have purposely stayed off the freeways so as not to get any stone chips beforehand. I haven't driven the car since Saturday, spending the time detailing it to my heart's content. My wife was gone most of the day Sunday with her mom and when I hadn't called her all day she knew I was happy as a clam. The time just flew as I spent the day washing, claying, detailing the wheels as you'll see next.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:51 AM
OCBen
Banned

Leader, You are so right on with that observation. That's really what customer service should be about: taking care of the actual needs of the customer. Good for you for having the foresight to neuter the finance guy in advance with your negotiation. What a PIA these guys are. I think I'll mention it to the sales manager at my dealership.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:20 AM
OCBen
Banned

Default Detailed Wheels

As promised to 1Gunner, here are some pics of my wheels to help him with his wheel decision.

When I saw my car for the first time I was so pleased to see it had come with Pirellis. I was really hoping it would. I don't like the way the Michelins look. I'm a detail fanatic and the Pirellis just absolutely look the best, hands down.

As I mentioned in other posts, the Carrera S wheel looks too busy for my tastes, making cleaning a real chore. But it did start to grow on me and I was about to change my order until someone here referred to it as a "lobster" wheel. I was puzzled by that description until I saw the "open pincers" on the spokes and, well, that ruined it for me. I subsequently posted that it looked more like a "crab" wheel with the center piece resembling the body of a crab, and left my order for the Carrera Classic wheel unchanged.

It's funny but the Carrera Classic wheel looks like an aggressive, muscular starfish to me now - no wimpy look to it at all! I really love them. (What's with the sea creatures theme, huh?) I'm so glad I didn't change my order!
Attached Images   
Old 06-28-2005, 03:30 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OCBen, congrats on a supurb car! Having the same options (almost) as you with only 2 differences; mine is (1) Arctic Silver and (2) I DIDN'T get the auto dimming rear view/side mirrors! Remember awhile back MJones and I told you they are a must have option! Anyway, I'm off again for my nightly cruise (drive a pickup truck during the day) so the Porsche is not my main daily driver. Pickup truck is just over a year old, odometer just passed the 4000 mile mark, mostly city miles. The nightime cruiser, weekend warrior, P-car, about 7 months old (still a puppy) is 100 miles shy of the 7000 mile mark. I'm off to pass that mark tonight! Can't get enough of this damn car! CHEERS!!
Old 06-28-2005, 09:17 AM
pic911
5th Gear

Default ocben

ocben, car is a beauty! Love the colour and love those classics. Looks like 1gunner and myself will be picking up in the next day or two so hopefully our experience with the dealership will go smoothly. My appointment for pickup is tomorrow so I'm really psyched. I had the dealership do the 3m so I'm picking up the car with it installed. Whole thing cost me $1k which includes bumper, 40% of hood, fenders, mirrors and headlights. On the last note re styoneguarding the headlights, I've heard other users do it but th 997 manual is pretty clear that stoneguarding of headlights is not recommended something about heat disipation especially if the venting to the lights is covered.

Do you or anyone else have any insight on this as to whether this is a no-no?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:12 AM
PV
Pro

I hear both stories: do it as it will safe the lenses; don't do it as heat can build up.

I didn't do it at the end of the day.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 AM
PV
Pro

Two years ago I shaked the ladies finance person hands and told her I was leaving. She was in total disbelief that somebody could walk away just like that. She was offering me about everything I don't need and I told her three times that I don't needed any extra's, but she kept talking and talking about all those nice options. I was going to pay cash, and she asked me to sign a lease agreement................. So, I walked away, and luckily for the dealer the manager saw me leaving and catched me just before I stepped out of the dealership. He took care of it all personally on the spot, and I was out 10 minutes later.

Desert is the most important part of the meal as that is what you remember when you leave the restaurant. At the dealership that last memory is the finance person.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:09 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Cash is not king....I believe they make more money on a lease!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! II wish my wheels looked that clean......Time to detail mine i guess.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:14 AM
OCBen
Banned

pic911, thanks! I too am getting the full protective film treatment, including the headlights. I just read the manual regarding the headlights and it looks like the concern is with covering everything including the "gap" between the headlights and the fender body panel:

To ensure optimum ventilation, do not cover
the gap between headlight and body
(e.g. “stone guards” or films).

Yeah, I can see how that might be a problem if the film is covering everything. But the film I'm getting (and probably most films for that matter) has separate headlight covers that don't 100% fully cover, leaving a small margin around the perimeter unprotected. I really don't think this will contribute to excess heat buildup. The headlight lens is made of clear plastic and the film is clear plastic. The coefficient of thermal conductivity can't be that much different for the two materials where the film is acting like a thermal insulating layer. The internal heat of the headlamp is conducted through the plastic lens where it is then carried away through convection by the moving air stream. Since the film is softer than the lens any insulating effect of the film will manifest itself in the bubbling up of the film coating, a clearly observable effect. I haven't heard of this happening to anyone.

I think they're just trying to cover their collective ***** with a film of their own so that idiots don't try to use some kind of less than transparent covering, that's all.

Quick Reply: First Impressions