Sponsored by:

Newbie Buyer - With Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts
Question Newbie Buyer - With Questions

I have decided to purchase a new 997 Carrera S. I live in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles and would like to ask a few questions about the purchasing process. I've got a couple of old Porsches (an '88 and a '58), but I've never purchased a new Porsche, or dealt with a Porsche dealer. I'm a Newbie, so any help would be most appreciated.

Do you simply select a dealer and place a "custom order" for the car set up the way you want it? I don't believe any dealers I've seen in L.A. actually have S's in stock from which to make a selection.

Am I correct in assuming that an order placed now (July 2005) would be for a 2006 model year car?

How much of a deposit is usual when placing an order?

I've not seen anything written about the changes between the '05 and '06 cars. Anyone know what, if any, they are?

To get a "test drive" should I select a dealer, call and make an appointment to drive a specific car?

And finally (for the moment), once ordered, how long does it take for a car to arrive in Los Angeles?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:30 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

If you are in San Fernando Valley, Auto Gallery had a Black S coming 05 model, last I checked was available. If you order depending on what month build avavilable you are looking at about 3-4 months. Rusnak Pasadena had 2 S's available and could be driven but both were tips. There are a few 05 models still coming into So. Ca. and a couple are available if you like the way they are configured. Check the PNA website.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can't find the car you want in dealer stock, you can place an order. However, be advised that each dealer has a specific monthly allocation from Porsche for each model, i.e., base, S, cab. Some dealers have more allocation than others. You could wind up waiting longer for a car from a dealer with a smaller allocation. So, if you're ordering now, make sure you're getting a July build date because the next build month is Sept. as the factory is closed in Aug.

I've never put down more than $1,000 for a deposit on the three 911's I've ordered since 1999.

It takes about a month for delivery to the dealer from the time the car is completed.

As for a test drive, I'd call the dealer first to make sure they're making cars available for test drives. Often times they don't like to run up mileage on cars they're looking to sell.

I believe cars built in July will be '06 models, but some people have reported that PCNA won't allow '06 cars to be delivered to customers until some time in Sept.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:21 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you don't mind picking your car up in Long Beach, ask for Michelle Larsson of Circle Porsche and she'll probably be able to get your order in before any other dealership can - that's what she was able to do for me. And she won't require a deposit from you either.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:36 AM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Differences between 05 and 06 are only a few new options offered. (AFAIK)
Old 06-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks, everyone, for the information. Very helpful.

Quick Reply: Newbie Buyer - With Questions