Sponsored by:

So what damage did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So what damage did I do?

Car stalled at traffic lights. Got it started accelerated away and heard a bang. Looked in the mirror and saw smoke billowing from the right exhaust. Check coolant light came on. By now I was stopped and the car quickly switched off.

The cooland line has seperated at a connector on the right hand side of the engine bay. What I don't know is what damage may have been done to the engine....Car has 1500 miles only. Called Porsche and had the car towed to the dealer in Indianapolis.

My day was finally capped by the farcical goings on a the F1 Grand Prix...

So have I damaged my engine? And what caused the coolant line to seperate?
Old 06-19-2005, 10:29 PM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, black smoke or white smoke? What made the engine stop in the first place?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:28 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Had similar problem with my 996. Turned out to be some type of oil separator. Small rubber - plastic part, small repair. Good Luck.
Jack
Old 06-20-2005, 01:28 AM
Speed
Pro

I once went over a curb in a 996 leaving a car wash and broke my coolant line. Warning light went on and I immediately stopped the car and go towed. No engine damage. Given how quickly you shut down the engine, I doubt you did any real damage.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer in Indy called me to say that after checking the car over the only thing they could find was the blown coolant line, and no signs from checking the car's vitals that any damage had been done to the engine. That coolant line and offending c-clip have been fixed and will be checked once more tomorrow and the car shipped back to me sometime this week.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Dealer in Indy called me to say that after checking the car over the only thing they could find was the blown coolant line, and no signs from checking the car's vitals that any damage had been done to the engine. That coolant line and offending c-clip have been fixed and will be checked once more tomorrow and the car shipped back to me sometime this week.
This is another case where the customer didn't drive it far enough after the coolant house separated. Now he will be worried if there was permanent damage that no one can detect.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:49 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Marv
Now he will be worried if there was permanent damage that no one can detect.
Nah, no problem. He's got four years for evidence of perm damage to show up. But still: no frickin' fun! I('d be pissed at whomever was supposed to insure everything was tightened down before they gave you your car.

Quick Reply: So what damage did I do?