Sponsored by:

Standard Radio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Michael1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard Radio Questions

I have a couple of questions regarding the standard radio (non-Bose). I have converted most of my music to MP3's.

Does the CD player play disks burned with MP3's?

Is there an "audio in" RCA jack (ala BMW), so an MP3 player can be plugged in?

Thanks,

Michael
Old 06-17-2005, 03:33 PM
sactogreg
Intermediate

1) I don't think so; I remember reading complaints that it does not.

2) No. Bummer.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:09 PM
S4to911
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes (at least the Bose upgrade) does work. I drove 300 miles this past Monday after I picked up my 997 S Cab listening to burned CDs. The Bose upgrade only affects the speakers and some sort of amplifier, correct? So the head unit CD player in both Bose and non-Bose should play a burned CD.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:32 PM
DougNY
Intermediate

The CD player can play burned CDs but not MP3s saved on a CD.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:11 PM
S4to911
Instructor

Is there a difference? The CD I burned consisted of 10 MP3 tracks from my Real Player collection. It played fine--the tracks were in MP3 format.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by S4to911
Yes (at least the Bose upgrade) does work. I drove 300 miles this past Monday after I picked up my 997 S Cab listening to burned CDs. The Bose upgrade only affects the speakers and some sort of amplifier, correct? So the head unit CD player in both Bose and non-Bose should play a burned CD.
The Bose plays MP3's?? I believe your mistaken, I just burned a CD with some MP3's on it and the Bose (I have the high-end version) sees no audio CD. What I assume you are doing is creating a CD in native format from MP3 files or simply copying a CD from an original. That works fine, but this "outdated before it hit production" stereo isn't an MP3 player.. what do you want in a 100K vehicle!

Last edited by Gary R.; 06-17-2005 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:13 PM
S4to911
Instructor

What software are you using to create the CD? What type of CD burner? These are tracks downloaded from various internet sources, as well as from CDs ripped into my library. They are then converted into MP3 format, and then downloaded onto a CD. When I burn the CD, I use the "audio CD format" function of Real Player and I simply do not copy the MP3 onto the blank CD--is this what you mean by "native format"? I am also upconverting various tracks from 168 to 192, so I am not sure this could be called "native"? I use CD-R disks, and they are recognized by the Porsche single disk player. I will try the experiment again in a day or so again, with different tracks and another CD.

Trending Topics

Old 06-18-2005, 12:41 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I have tried every different type of .mp3, all levels including 64, 128, and 192K encoding. The fact is the Bose (POS) system does not recognize an MP3 as an audio format. Everything else I own sees it just fine (I.E. modern readers)... I believe "native" is .WAV but I could be amiss. All I can tell you is my 997S with Bose doesn't see an audio CD when I put a CD in that is full of MP3's... I use NERO AND have tried Music Match just to be sure.

Last edited by Gary R.; 06-18-2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:49 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bose has nothing to do with mp3's, its the head unit which Porsche forgot to add in the begining but now its standard after April builds. Bose only makes the speakers.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Tex - Of course you are correct, but the "head unit" is sold as a "Bose System" and those of us stupid enough bought the "high end Bose System"... sad isnt it... that for 1/2 the cost we could have an XM Traffic/NAV system?
Old 06-18-2005, 01:12 AM
S4to911
Instructor

Thank you Texas 911.

The answer is that my car has a newer head unit, and poster #7's (which as built much earlier, since looking at the pictures in his signature, his was delivered in December) does not. It sounds like MP3s can be played off of a ripped CD in the head unit of the newer builds. Maybe someone esle with a later build who has received their car can help out to definitively answer this question.

Poster #7--chill. I understand your frustration, and was trying to be helpful. I, like you, also own a 911 (a midnight blue S Cab, purchased last Monday), and burn CDs as well. I was merely trying to figure out why my head unit recognizes MP3s on a burned CD and yours does not. Texas 911 (poster #8) may have come up with the answer.

The way to test this hypothesis is to take your 911 as well as your burned CD down to your dealer. Try the CD in one of the newer models on the lot. If it works in the newer car, take your well deserved frustration out on the dealer, not on this twit (ie me) :.) ...
Old 06-18-2005, 01:34 AM
Michael1
Advanced

I know it can get confusing with the different disk formats. Try burning your MP3 disk with subdirectories. You can't create subdirectories with an audio disk (not supported in the Red Book audio standard). If the stereo recognizes the subdirectories, and allows you to select songs in the subdirectories, then you know it will read MP3s.

It is a shame these auto manufacturers are so far behind what is happening in consumer electronics. We now have OGG, WPA, and others, too, which play in many digital players, and yet, I am sure the auto manufacturers are clueless about them. "Hello, auto makers! Have you guys heard of the iPod, Rio, Nomad, Zen, etc.?" Considering how long it took them to catch onto MP3, I wonder how long it will be before they catch onto the other new music formats (2012?).

Michael
Old 06-18-2005, 10:35 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

XM? I'd be satisfied with a simple AUX port somewhere! Even Mercedes (which just until two years ago still only had cassette players standard) has a built in AUX port in the glove box and is phasing in full iPod intergration! Oh heck, I guess Porsche is spending their research dollars into fixing the RMS leaks. Or maybe not.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:40 AM
PV
Pro

This thread is another indication that the head of the software department at Porsche need to go to a course. I don't need MP3 files to play on my CD, but it is of course not of this time that you can't play those type of formats.

The same for the integration of the stuff (info and options) via the LCD screen and the other digital information. Language options are not the same. If you change the units on one place they don't change at the other. Personal settings for seat and mirrors go via the door buttons, while airco settings and other personal settings go via the PCM.

It is clear that this is the first time Porsche is addressing this kind of technology. They see this as not being the core business of car building, and most probably they are correct, but than don't even start doing some of it as it shows to be old fashioned and not professional.

Luckily they know about motor management.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:23 AM
S4to911
Instructor

I finally was back in town and I did the following test. I have a 911 S Cab (April build) with the Bose upgrade.

(1) I downloaded 18 tracks from the Real Player store in their proprietary format, and burned them onto a CD-R blank CD.

(2) I took 18 tracks from my library in mulitple formats (Real Audio, WMA, MP3) at various bit rates (160, 192) and burned them onto another blank CD-R CD.

I played both in the single disk CD player in the head unit of my 911.

Results:

(1) Both played without a problem (and sounded better than I thought with the Bose surround--I believe most Bose things, especially in car audio, are gimmicks, but this actually did sound pretty good).

(2) The Real audio proprietary format tracks on the first CD had the titles listed on the LCD readout of the PCM. The second CD of MP3s, WMAs, etc, did not. This may be due to the way I burned the second CD.

Conclusions:

(1) You can play MP3s burned onto a CD in your 997.
(2) The reason for an inability to play burned CDs in the older builds may be due to the head unit.
(3) If you have an older build 997, the solution may be to install a CD changer (either Porsche or aftermarket) in the prewire area in the trunk--the PCM is not the issue here, it is likely the head unit.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Standard Radio Questions