Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Faulty Trunk Latch Signup List--Please Read!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Faulty Trunk Latch Signup List--Please Read!

The purpose of this thread is for collection of names of those Porsche 997 or 997S owners who are experiencing trouble with the front trunk latch. There is another thread that explains this. Basically, many of us have noticed that, for no apparent reason, the trunk lid solonoid releases the trunk and leaves in in an open but safety latched position. I consider this to be a serious problem. It is most frequently encountered after getting the car wet, whether driving in the rain, or after washing. Mine, however, is totally random. It popped open sitting in my garage and the light inside the trunk killed the battery. When that happens, you cannot open your trunk. It has to be jumped by someone with technical know how. Since this seems to happen most often in rain or after washing, you could be parked at work and come out to find that a dounpour has wet your car, popped open your trunk, and killed your battery....oh yeah... and filled your t runk with water! Oh yeah, and everything in your trunk has been stolen.....

I am trying to find out how many others are having this problem. If it is as widespread as it sounds, this thread should start a long list. If not, then it must be just an unfortunate few of us. Please post ONLY if you are, or have had this problem with your Carrerra S (911 S) or 997. Please just put your name or your initials in your post, unless you have more information to add. I intend to take this list to my dealer as I am a bit frustrated that I paid $90k for a car that has this insane problem. If you find your trunk open or unlatched it is not from sitting on your remote key. You probably have this problem.
Thank you.......

Buzz McMillian - Florida 911S
Old 06-11-2005, 08:06 PM
997C2S
Intermediate

Mine has the same problem, 997S, coupe, Feb 05 build. Had the System Fault following car washing and opening the hood to dry the channels. Dealer replaced the hood latch solenoid and all was well through about four washings (w/o opening the hood). On the 5th wash, the hood started popping open by itself about four times in 2 minutes. Has held since the last time I closed it (1 week now).
Old 06-12-2005, 12:29 AM
jonquiljo
Advanced

My 997 has had this problem a half a dozen times in the last month. At first I thought it was me .. going crazy. I'm not crazy. I will have the dealer look at it asap.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:32 AM
Mist
Track Day

Default Trunk release ; Static Charge

997S CAB. Trunk randomly opens. Dealer indicates it is a static charge issue.

Interesting occurrence this past Sunday. Washed car-dried with leaf blower-and was applying Zaino tire creme. I saw a dust spot on the protective film in front of the port rear wheel. I rubbed-very lightly and slightly-the dust spot and just as I did that, the trunk released.

Interesting and certainly not a random event.

Sign me up!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:59 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

No car wash problem, but the lid opens when I have backed out at work. There is and uneven surface and I hit it at and angle, I assume the front of the car twists and unlatches the trunk. It is not enuf of a problem to go to the dealer for. My only other issue in 7,000 miles is the slow clock.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:27 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine had the problem 3 months ago. It was fixed in a day and has not returned.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcf7
So, what did they do to fix it? That slow clock problem is another issue I have.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:47 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Quote:

So, what did they do to fix it? That slow clock problem is another issue I have."

Buzz, I don't remember, it was posted. In any case, if you have the problem you can call my
dealer for help. They seemed to have a handle on the matter and I am sure will talk to your dealer about it. Fairfield Porsche 203-367-3700. Let me know if I can be of further help.

btw, my clock is also off a miunute or so here and there....
Old 06-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Quote:

So, what did they do to fix it? That slow clock problem is another issue I have."

Buzz, I don't remember, it was posted. In any case, if you have the problem you can call my
dealer for help. They seemed to have a handle on the matter and I am sure will talk to your dealer about it. Fairfield Porsche 203-367-3700. Let me know if I can be of further help.

btw, my clock is also off a miunute or so here and there....
Hey, thanks for the info. I may just give them a call.

Buzz
Old 06-14-2005, 03:16 PM
jonquiljo
Advanced

Default Check with your dealer first!

I brought mine in for (among other things) a hood latch fix - and the local dealer had to order the part. I think they are in high demand. Make the dealers order them before you come in.

Quick Reply: 997 Faulty Trunk Latch Signup List--Please Read!