Sponsored by:

Rattles are driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Roadking
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rattles are driving me nuts

I need some help. I have zero'd in on my rattle issues. Both doors, behind the pockets, go away when you pull the door pocket towards the center of the car.
Passenger side dash area, above glove box and cup holders. Sounds like a connector rattle or plastic on plastic.

My question, how the hell do you remove the door panels and glove box? I am so tired of taking my car to the dealer, 5 times now. They put some bs felt around the pockets and say I am good to go. I have told them to road test the car, but they must be deaf.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? I realize the car will not be SL500 quiet, but come on. For $85K the thing should'nt rattle like a Yugo. I am getting pretty frustraited. I have owned a number of other Porsche cars and never had this issue. Seem to be some chatter on other boards. Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,123 Likes on 2,885 Posts

Sorry to hear that - one of the main reasons I sold my 2002 996 C2. I was hoping they sorted this out with the 997...

I'm willing to bet that the other Porsches you've owned (that didn't rattle) were 993 or older.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:22 PM
jlee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some squeaking issues too but compared to the 996tt I had, the 997 feels way more solid!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one rattle in my 997S after delivery. It has vanished.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:42 PM
tagheuer
Advanced

I have some rattles as well around the driver door and center console. In addition, my center and driver side vent handles just came off. frustrating.

Other than that, I love the car
Old 06-09-2005, 01:54 PM
CO997
Racer

I have a couple of rattles. The most frustrating on is on the right side of the instrument cluster. If I push my finger in there the rattle will stop. I tried the felt suggestion but did not want to take the whole dash apart just for that. Another rattle seems to come from the door, but is pretty inconsistant and I have not been able to narrow it down yet.
It really is annoying on an otherwise fantastic car!!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:59 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a very difficult time determining from exactly where my rattle was coming. The problem was the reflective sound environment in the car that bounces a sound once or twice so that I would hear it coming off of a surface that wasn't actually making the sound.

I'm not saying that is the case with your rattles but I can tell you this... Porsche has used rust colored electrical connectors under the dash that have a bright yellow, rectangular lock clip on them. The purpose of the bright yellow, rectangular lock clip is to keep the connector from being pulled apart by accident. The problem with my bright yellow, rectangular lock clips was that they were not under direct pressure so they rattled against the body of the rust colored electrical connectors.

Once I wrapped the rust colored electrical connectors in black electricians tape, securing the bright yellow, rectangular lock clips firmly against the tape, all my rattles stopped!

And the quiet while driving has been HEAVENLY.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:31 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've pretty much given up on the rattles. The last time at the dealer I caused a bit if a stink when I asked to quiz the tech to see what he'd done this time around. That was after a fast test drive with the service guy and me saying, "Can't you hear it? Can't you hear it?" and him saying I think it's the engine.

Anyway, the ones in the door I'll bet will go away when you drive with the lids open in the pockets. I think that when they are in the down position the hinges have a tendancy to move a bit and causing a rattle.

It may require the car to just settle in a bit more and in the meantime you may just have to suck it up. Unfortunately we're in the same boat.

I've also had to train myself not to obsess on it and it seems to be better.

Last edited by SrfCity; 06-09-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:39 PM
dnp_now
Instructor

i picked up my S last week, and the dashboard creaks/moans when i go over a bump. as soon as my cd changer comes in, the dealership will look at it. should i trust them to take apart my car to fix the creaking noises?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:43 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 993 rattles way more than my 997, but the 997 does have a freaking irritating rattle coming from somewhere behind the PCM, sounds like a cassette tape back there somewhere. Also when listening to 50 Cent, the doors rattle at certain frequencies.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:48 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I finally isolated my one and only rattle. It sounded like it was coming from the right side dash area, but finally figured out it is the overhead light lens that rattles (almost like a buzzing) at certain speeds and conditions.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 595 Posts

Hmmm, seems like they all rattle. My 993 has three rattles. One is the sunroof when it is fully retracted.

The other two are on the inside, left of the steering wheel. One turned out to be my garage door remote! the other was the bloody key fob!

Haven't bothered to check what is causing the sunroof to rattle, probably a baby rattle stuck in the headliner for all I know.

Since I am considering a 997 I would love to hear more experiences from owners.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:01 PM
CJ997
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Roadking
I need some help. I have zero'd in on my rattle issues. Both doors, behind the pockets, go away when you pull the door pocket towards the center of the car.
Passenger side dash area, above glove box and cup holders. Sounds like a connector rattle or plastic on plastic.

My question, how the hell do you remove the door panels and glove box? I am so tired of taking my car to the dealer, 5 times now. They put some bs felt around the pockets and say I am good to go. I have told them to road test the car, but they must be deaf.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? I realize the car will not be SL500 quiet, but come on. For $85K the thing should'nt rattle like a Yugo. I am getting pretty frustraited. I have owned a number of other Porsche cars and never had this issue. Seem to be some chatter on other boards. Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Roadking, I think I can help with the door rattles that you and others mention here. This is from an earlier post of mine, and may be the same problem, which my dealer managed to fix:

I had resonance in both doors with a specific base frequency from the speakers which drove me nuts. It went away if I opened the door storage cover and pulled the storage surround towards me. As soon as I let go, it returned.

The dealer fixed the problem, which was caused by a tube that feeds compressed air to the door airbag vibrating against the internals of the door. They put some tape around the tube where it was touching the door, and the problem has now been fixed.

They also worked out that the rattles I thought were coming from the passenger dash area were caused by the coins in the coin tray. The coin tray plastic is cheap and hard ; small coins will not fit snug and will rattle!

I realise I'm lucky; my UK based dealer has been excellent sorting out these types of problems since delivery.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

So far, I'm rattle free with my 997 S. However, I notice that the sound of the door closing isn't the solid "ka-thunk" of the 993, but rather, a tinnier sound not much better than the 996. This is a small issue in the overall enjoyment of the car, but what's Porsche doing so differentlly now that the door sounds (which for many, are a proxy of quality) are not what they used to be?
Old 06-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Roadking
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the feedback. I am going to tackle the doors and noise in the passenger dash. Does anyone have access to a manual or service diagrams for disassembly?

My96 993 cab was really solid, no issues. I also had a 2001 Boxster S with no issues.

Again, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Rattles are driving me nuts