Sponsored by:

Picked Up My 997 S Cabriolet Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked Up My 997 S Cabriolet Yesterday

The long wait is finally over--yesterday I picked up my 997 S cabriolet that I ordered from Beechmont Porsche in Cincinnati in Dec. And, in the end, everthing fell into place perfectly.

Two weeks ago I found a buyer for my '02 cab and commited to deliver it to him on June 1 so I could have it for the Memorial Day weekend. As luck would have it, on May 24th my saleman called and said the car (which had been completed on 4/28) was in. So, on Wed. I turned over the 996 to the buyer at 9 a.m. and took a 4 p.m. flight to Cincinnati. My salesman picked me up a 9 a.m. and by 11:30 I was on the road back to NYC.

Before I left the dealership I asked the mechanic who was doing the prep work on my car if he could disable the seat belt chime. He plugged his laptop into the car's computer and tried, but said that when he disabled the chime, the air bag light came on when the car started moving over 2-3 mph, so no go. If anyone else has managed to successfully disable the chime, I'd love to hear about it.

I have to say a 700 mi. trip is a great way to get to know the car, even if it's on the interstates. The car really is wonderful and a significant improvement over the 996. Before I left the dealership, the salesman cautioned me not to put the car in cruise control for hours on end, which is consistent with the manual's break-in instructions to vary the rpm's. As it turned out, between intermittenet rain, construction delays and stretches of open road, that turned out not to be a problem.

I alternated between the normal setting and sport chrono throughout the day, and did not find the latter to given an unduly harsh ride, at least on the interstates. We'll see what it's like on the way out to the Hamptons tonight on the LIE with my wife in the car.

A note of thanks to Alan Smithee for pursuading me to get the multi-function steering wheel even though I don't have a telephone or NAV. It really makes operating the radio a breeze without having to take your hands off the wheel and scanning for stations on a long trip, although for long periods I just turned it off and listened to the music of the engine which is really much improved over the 996, even with the top up.

Made it back to NYC by 11:30 p.m. and no tickets (thank you Valentine 1).

For those interested, here is a list of the options I got:

Arctic Silver/Sea Blue interior/Metropol Blue top
Adaptive Sport Seats
Sport Chrono
Self-Dimming Mirrors (they really work; great option at reasonable cost)
Bose High End Sound Package
Colored Wheel Caps
Multi-function Steering Wheel
Old 06-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Thrill
Intermediate

Excellent! Congratulations on your purchase
(we want pics too!)
Old 06-03-2005, 02:44 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet. Welcome to the Club!!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 04:02 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed
We'll see what it's like on the way out to the Hamptons tonight on the LIE with my wife in the car.
Ha! See what's its like? If you are on the LIE on a Friday summer evening on the way to the Hamptons the only thing you'll see is the 250 page owners manual while you read it twice sitting in traffic!!

CONGRATS!! Post some Pix for us waiters on the Board!!

- Adam
Old 06-03-2005, 09:07 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 474 Likes on 317 Posts

Congrats.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:34 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Congratulations Jack. It nice to know that you got home safely. Please post pics. I can't wait to see your color combinations.

Jay
Old 06-03-2005, 10:31 PM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats again Jack. She looked great even in the dark last night and dirty from the trip back to NYC. I'm sure the neighbors out on the island will be stopping by as usual to see the "Automotive Oracle of the Dunes"!

The true test is to now see if Clio and Sherlock like it.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Congrads! If you live in NY, why did you order it from a Cincinnati dealer? Please post pics, especially of the Sea Blue interior. I have yet to see this color interior either in person or in a pic and I am dying ti see it!.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:58 PM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Congrads! If you live in NY, why did you order it from a Cincinnati dealer? Please post pics, especially of the Sea Blue interior. I have yet to see this color interior either in person or in a pic and I am dying ti see it!.
I know that I can speak for Jack in that I was involved in the purchase. The OH dealer had the right allotment date and was somewhat flexible on price as opposed to the TriState dealers.

I saw the Sea Blue last night and it is beautiful. Kind of a dark Charcoal flavored blue...if you know what I mean. Pics from Jack may take some time btw since it's my digital camera that usually captures his machines.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:48 PM
dnp_now
Instructor

Fantastic and congratulations! I know exactly how you feel about the car, I just picked up my 997s this wednesday. And I'm addicted to driving it every where.

I love the car, and have no problem staying under 4000rpm for a few more hundred km. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Congratulations...I love the silver/blue combo...would have been my pick, but the GF wanted black/black. Post pics when you have a chance...
Old 06-04-2005, 06:37 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Congratulations...I love the silver/blue combo...would have been my pick, but the GF wanted black/black...
And I presume she was paying for the car???
Old 06-05-2005, 07:07 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Congratulations...I love the silver/blue combo...would have been my pick, but the GF wanted black/black. Post pics when you have a chance...
The next time you are in that type of a situation, remember what a wise man once said... "Never argue with a woman... dicker!"

Quick Reply: Picked Up My 997 S Cabriolet Yesterday