Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which other cars did you consider?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 01:19 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The back end of the new 3 BMW looks like a honda..........WTF?
Old 05-31-2005, 03:18 AM
SoCal Alan
Advanced

Considered MB SL500/SL55. Also, would have considered the BMW 5/6 series but thanks to Chris Bangle's design, it was easy to not seriously consider it.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:22 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

i was seriously consider a F-117A as my weekend ride but it's way out of my budget. too bad i will never buy the Cadillac XLR as my second choice LOL.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:27 PM
MMD
Banned

Default The Stealth Fighter is a CONTRADICTON!

Originally Posted by 20C4S
i was seriously consider a F-117A as my weekend ride but it's way out of my budget. too bad i will never buy the Cadillac XLR as my second choice LOL.

Yeah it's funny! LOL.

The Stealth fighter is SLOW, has no defenses, small, a loner, sneaky, UGLY, extremely unstable aerodynamically, is really a BOMBER (not a fighter). I guess that's a great "inspiration" for a Cadillac. Makes you almost feel sorry for GM.

LOL LOL LOL.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:40 PM
Arkay
Rennlist Member

I'm all over the map and am not ready to order a 997S until I can get a detailed look at the AM V8, which now looks like early '06 according to the dealer.

The other car in contention is the Maserati GranSport.

Oh, then there are more outside choices or combos like:

- 964 RS America & a used 996 TT or C4S
- Cayman S & a used SL55 or SL500
- C6 Z06 + cash in the bank(!)

The combos are a way to satisfy my real need of having a more dedicated track car plus having a sporting car that I can drive on the streets without breaking my vertibrae as my M3 is prepared enough now not to be comfortable on the streets.

Anyway, am driving my wife crazy with my speculations and she wants me to just make a damned decision, especially since I'm not known to keep my cars for a long time...the M3 being the exception as I've had it since new for 6 1/2 years.

Anyway, the torment continues...
Old 05-31-2005, 12:53 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by rkao
I'

Anyway, the torment continues...

You got time. If you ordered a 997S today you'd get the car in..., what...? November? "Perfect" timing for NE winter driving!
Old 05-31-2005, 03:04 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

I was all over the map too.

Corvette - didn't last on the list for more than 30 seconds. Just, uh, not for me.
various AMGs - very nice, not enough raw sport...or something.
BMW 6-Series - WTF have they done to an icon?? Ugh. (spoken like a former M6 owner)
Jag - I love the smell of plastic in the morning...smells like...FORD!
Cayman - Hmm...
AMV8 - wouldn't I need to buy two to have one as a spare when the other is in the shop?
Lotus Elise - On the track , off the track
BMW M5 - way too big and probably comes with the normal BMW-new-model-5-figure-dealer-markup(tm).
or I could keep my M3. In comparison, the E46 feels like a boat.

The Corvette was off the list in record time. For me, the test-drive in the 997S was the first time I have been excited about a new car since my BMW M Coupe. As a long-time BMW enthusiast, I feel like they have really lost their direction over the last few years, especially in the M department. Hopefully my September-build will make that all a distant memory.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Arkay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MMD
You got time. If you ordered a 997S today you'd get the car in..., what...? November? "Perfect" timing for NE winter driving!
Well, yes, the timing wouldn't be ideal if I ordered it now but given that the AMV8 isn't out for a while, I have the luxury of time...or the extended period of torment...2 sides of the same coin really.

I'm hoping whatever car I choose, I'll be able to have one on the road about 11-12 months from now...just in time for some springtime hooliganism!
Old 05-31-2005, 05:25 PM
PV
Pro

More or less the same list as I went through, with as difference that I already drive the 997 for 5 months. You will not be dissapointed
Old 05-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Arkay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tnunnery
I was all over the map too.

BMW 6-Series - WTF have they done to an icon?? Ugh. (spoken like a former M6 owner)
AMV8 - wouldn't I need to buy two to have one as a spare when the other is in the shop?
BMW M5 - way too big and probably comes with the normal BMW-new-model-5-figure-dealer-markup(tm).
or I could keep my M3. In comparison, the E46 feels like a boat.

The Corvette was off the list in record time. For me, the test-drive in the 997S was the first time I have been excited about a new car since my BMW M Coupe. As a long-time BMW enthusiast, I feel like they have really lost their direction over the last few years, especially in the M department. Hopefully my September-build will make that all a distant memory.
Admittedly, I've resisted test driving the 997S as I don't want to jump in and make a rash decision without seeing the AMV8 and GranSport...but it's getting harder to resist.

Our paths seem similar, I too had an E24 but it was the 635CSi that was a hand-me-down from my parents, lovely Delphin Grey '88. And I still have my E36 M3 while my brother had the M Coupe (a '99 that's now gone), that was a great little car and I still miss driving it sometimes. Always thought that car has deep potential to be developed into a great track car. And I was one of the first to place an order on the E46 M3 at my then local dealer, I too thought it got too fat and decided to pass on it.

I am long time BMW CCA member and still a member in the Canadian club as I used to live there. I instruct with the CCA drivers' ed program and despite being a PCA member for almost as long, have never been to a PCA school.

As for the M5, I figure if I get a fun sporty car, I'd like to have a more laid back daily driver, hence the Audi A8L which has served this purpose very well. Will probably get another luxo-barge when its lease is up to have the utility.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:18 PM
Lemur
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the decision making phase now : 997 S vs. Maserati Gransport!Both are excellent automobiles...its turning out to be a tough call but I have to admit that the Maser engine is truly wonderful.

DAB.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:24 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkao
Admittedly, I've resisted test driving the 997S as I don't want to jump in and make a rash decision without seeing the AMV8 and GranSport...but it's getting harder to resist.

Our paths seem similar, I too had an E24 but it was the 635CSi that was a hand-me-down from my parents, lovely Delphin Grey '88. And I still have my E36 M3 while my brother had the M Coupe (a '99 that's now gone), that was a great little car and I still miss driving it sometimes. Always thought that car has deep potential to be developed into a great track car. And I was one of the first to place an order on the E46 M3 at my then local dealer, I too thought it got too fat and decided to pass on it.

I am long time BMW CCA member and still a member in the Canadian club as I used to live there. I instruct with the CCA drivers' ed program and despite being a PCA member for almost as long, have never been to a PCA school.

As for the M5, I figure if I get a fun sporty car, I'd like to have a more laid back daily driver, hence the Audi A8L which has served this purpose very well. Will probably get another luxo-barge when its lease is up to have the utility.
Wow, we do seem to have some similar experiences. Let me know when you check out the AMV8 - I would like to hear how it stacks up - especially from someone who has a similar car points of reference and who has been a CCA instructor.

I loved my E24 (it was an '88 too). The new 6 is pretty sad in comparison. It looks like a Pontiac from the rear - almost as much as the new 3 looks like a Japanese import - and just doesn't capture the spirit of the E24. The E46 M3 just seems too flabby and I also cancelled my order once I drove one in the flesh.

I have an E36 M3 now and find it pretty uninspiring to drive. I actually enjoy taking the X3 (via European Delivery) out more than the M3. Now that the X3 is here for "utility" runs to Home Depot, down muddy trails or to Tahoe in the snow, I am ready for the spiritual replacement of my dearly departed '00 M Coupe, the 997S (insert sound of fanfare here) even though a Cayman S may be a better comparison.

The M Coupe was a blast to drive and did exceptionally well on the track, surprising many 996s of the day. I really miss that car. I'll have to take a look at the A8 for my luxo-barge needs - I have heard some good reviews from some acquaintances.

I have been a CCA member for quite a few years and now have dual PCA/CCA membership. I really think a PDE will be great to attend and I'm looking forward to the experience.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I think this is an interesting thread to see what different histories we have that brought about the same or similar choices.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:07 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

AMG E55
Old 06-01-2005, 07:18 AM
Ronnie
Instructor

996C4S, 997C2, 997C2S
Old 06-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Fred 993C4S
Advanced

I just ordered last week a 997S; This is going to be my 3rd Pcar ( previous: 1999 996 C2, 1996 993 C4S) and I always loved them so I'm happy to be coming back "home". Here is my thoight process on ordering the 997S:
I currently have a Lotus Elise for a fun/track car and my wife and I have 3 other truck/ SUVs for our daily "hauling of crap", work, roadtrip needs but I missed going out with the family on a sports car so I ordered a 997S. other cars I considered:
I've had a deposit on the AMV8 for over a year and that car looks awesome, is going to be beautifull in my opinion and I don't think its going to be as unreliable as many think but its not going to be able to fill the need for 4 seats to drive my wife and 4 year old on family outings so the 997S wins here.
The new Gran Turismo is truly a beautifull car with an awesomely beautifull interior but somehow not for me. I'm also curious to see what is going to happen to Maser now that FIAT has taken over management of it away from Ferrari, my gut feeling is that their prices are going to take a beating. After theses two cars there are really no other choices for a 4 seater GT/sports car for daily driving. I even thought of looking for a used Ferrari 456GT but the cost of ownership on those can be steep so the 997S is the best choice for my needs and wants.
The cool part is that my expected delivery date was Nov/Dec but my dealer just called me and let me know that someone gave up on their order and he was still able to change the specs on the computer so I should get my 06 997S ordered to my specs in Sept/Oct and at a modest discount.

Quick Reply: Which other cars did you consider?