Old 05-20-2005, 06:10 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
According to AWE they pick up almost 40 at the wheels with their full exhaust on the 997s, so there is plenty of power to be picked up in the exhaust.
Sure that's not WITH a flash or something? That's a lot of power for just an exhaust and never heard of anything that much before from an exhaust (unless you bring in Turbos) on the 3.4, 3.6 or 3.8. But ya' learn something new everday.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:32 AM
Fred 993C4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard 18 HP from the new Tubi exhaust that is coming out.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When he said 30+HP gain from an exhaust, he means the whole thing not just the mufflers, we're talking headers, cats, chip, evo cold air kit, chip. Mike from AWE posted his dyno charts on here a while back.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:56 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
When he said 30+HP gain from an exhaust, he means the whole thing not just the mufflers, we're talking headers, cats, chip, evo cold air kit, chip. Mike from AWE posted his dyno charts on here a while back.
OK I got the full exhaust part (cats, mufflers and ok headers) but now that the dyno you're talking about has the same intake we use and the flash that makes much more sense
Old 05-20-2005, 01:00 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The horse power upgrade I'm doing is in a couple of years when I get a 997 turbo. Or GT3.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:20 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally Posted by Neil@Orton
We are now geting more than 400hp.more improvements were finnished today.

Neil

http://www.ortonusa.com/porsche/images/997-CS-400.gif
will you still get 400 hp on 91 ron and be CA emissions legal? i believe the psi tests are done with 95 or even 98 ron (or mon) and relaxed emissions requirements.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:48 PM
PV
Pro

Neil: interesting plot. I see you added 20% for the losses. Is that not a little bit to pessimistic? In the way you add to the motor power. Was this measured at the wheels?

Secondly: I see a maximum speed of 234 km/h (145 MPH)? Special gear box or measured in a lower gear?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:08 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Neil, you mentioned an intake manifold on the 3.6 motor, are you guys porting/polishing the stock one, or using an aftermarket model? Most guys who mention 'intake' usually are refering to the airbox/aircleaner as opposed to the actual manifold.
I wonder how much one could modify the stock cylinder heads/ int manifold on a m96 (~sb chevy style, porting/polishing/ valves), has it been done?
Chris
Old 05-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
It reached 341 @ the wheels without the chip or intake, with the chip it was 350 and they didn't dyno it with a chip and intake. I am sure getting close to 360 wouldn't be impossible.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Neil@Orton
Banned

Maha dyno calculates the resistance on the wheels after the dyno run, this then gives you the loss. The calculations are done by the dyno soft wear. This gives you a very accurate dyno reading ie like Porsche our numbers are very conservative. On our Gt3 kit we only say it creates 420hp,but a top race team from Ohio has said it is producing close to 440hp.This will soon be validated using a Mustang dyno shortly.
As to the intake manifold, we use a carbon fiber intake designed for this car, Also the air box is also different.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:59 PM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Sticky, I’m not the guy to be shooting one across the bow at anyone, but 40 hp at the wheels is going to be tough to happen with an exhaust system on the 997. I'm going to stick my neck out here for a minute and tell you that my 997 is GIAC flashed, I have used both the EVO and Fabspeed air systems and have personally installed four different exhaust systems and various combinations of 200 Cell Cats, Headers and Mufflers on my 997 trying to separate the Bull S*i# from the real S*i#...and I'm here to tell you that I highly doubt you will see 40 hp at the wheels from an exhaust system alone. I have personally tested systems from the leading exhaust companies in my quest to sound (and perform) the best...and squeezing that much extra power out of a pretty efficient setup is very difficult to do. Additionally, you will probably find that the one that performs the best might not be your ear’s favorite…and let’s not even get into fit and finish.

PM me your e-mail address if you need some assistance…
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VB - what do you have on the car now, and what do you plans to do? didn't you take off the fabspeed exhaust?
Old 05-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Neil@Orton
Banned

With our full 70mm exhaust system we only get 25hp at the F/W
Old 05-21-2005, 01:12 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VB997
Sticky, I’m not the guy to be shooting one across the bow at anyone, but 40 hp at the wheels is going to be tough to happen with an exhaust system on the 997. I'm going to stick my neck out here for a minute and tell you that my 997 is GIAC flashed, I have used both the EVO and Fabspeed air systems and have personally installed four different exhaust systems and various combinations of 200 Cell Cats, Headers and Mufflers on my 997 trying to separate the Bull S*i# from the real S*i#...and I'm here to tell you that I highly doubt you will see 40 hp at the wheels from an exhaust system alone. I have personally tested systems from the leading exhaust companies in my quest to sound (and perform) the best...and squeezing that much extra power out of a pretty efficient setup is very difficult to do. Additionally, you will probably find that the one that performs the best might not be your ear’s favorite…and let’s not even get into fit and finish.

PM me your e-mail address if you need some assistance…
I was talking about a 997S not a 997, I was just going off the dyno's that AWE posted, I don't think they would lie or make up false numbers.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:46 AM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Sticky, I hope I’m not coming across the wrong way; honestly I’m not challenging your post, I am however questioning the information we are given on the various air in/air out systems for the 997. I recorded a telephone conversation I had with an exhaust design engineer in Germany that goes into great detail about how hard it is to get horse power out of the 997’s exhaust system. Again, going off the research I have done which includes swapping a lot of stainless and several lengthy toll calls to Germany I will tell you with confidence that regardless of which 997 model someone owns, gaining 40 horse power at the wheels by changing an exhaust system is very unrealistic.

Frankly, with a couple of systems I tried I lost power and interestingly enough the number one question seems to be “how does it sound?” not how much power did I gain. The fact is that the best power comes from systems that include high flow catalytic converters, less restrictive mufflers and headers (manifolds) with equal pipe lengths and perfect welds where the pipes meet at the collector. Obviously, you will need an air box and an ECU flash, but for the purposes of this discussion I’m just talking plumbing. Do you know what that sounds like? IT’S LOUD and sounds like a race car! (Which is fine by me but not by everyone) The sound each of us individually seeks is so subjective…like varying tastes in music. I have read countless posts on Porsche PSE and how people just love that sound…do you know what the gain in horse power is with PSE? Zero…per the TSB on PSE “No gain in power and No loss in power” well no loss is a plus anyway. Me personally, I think the PSE sounds anemic…but again that goes back to the music thing and that debate could go on and on.

A suggestion I would make to the unknowing new guy following this rhetoric is to place a value of importance on sound (tone, volume etc) and a value on power gain and decide which is more important. If it’s power, I hope you like Metallica. If you’re a purist, buy the PSE and be done with it because nothing will duplicate that fabricated sound better then the PSE. As for the issue of manufacturers making claims that are unsubstantiated…stop by some time and I’ll show you the parts that touted all kinds of power gains…they’re packed in their original boxes in my garage.

Quick Reply: Increasing the HP for 997