Sponsored by:

Option 482 - TPMS can now be ordered.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:35 AM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996ttcab
TPMS shows up under tach as a readout of each tires pressure, .
Shows actual pressures insted of idiot light?! WOW. That sounds good to me. Now the thing suddenly seems almost a bargain at approx $800 or $900
Old 05-13-2005, 04:35 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
v.. A frucking bolt is embedded in my tire and there is a very VERY slow leak. The TPMS was able to read that very slow leak when, to the naked eye, the tire was absolutely perfect.

I seriously doubt the TPMS "reads" a slow leak. That's not how these things work. They respond to changes in tire pressure from the point at which they were calibrated. So if there's a slow leak you won't know of it until the thresh-hold drop in pressure has been exceeded. This may take several days. Had you had an actual tire pressure read-out you could have seen the gradual fall in pressure and, perhaps, inspected the tire more carefully. At least that's how it works on my Benz.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:48 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The display in the tach shows tire pressures. Take a look at the brochure and you can see it in some shots of the instruments and dash. Wish it had been available when I ordered mine...

I wonder what happens when you change from summer wheels and tires to winter wheels and tires. Where are the sensors? Do you need a second set for your winter setup?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:16 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
I seriously doubt the TPMS "reads" a slow leak. That's not how these things work. They respond to changes in tire pressure from the point at which they were calibrated. So if there's a slow leak you won't know of it until the thresh-hold drop in pressure has been exceeded. This may take several days. Had you had an actual tire pressure read-out you could have seen the gradual fall in pressure and, perhaps, inspected the tire more carefully. At least that's how it works on my Benz.
Uh... yeah, it does "read" the slow leak. No offense, but I was there and experienced this myself. Maybe it is different from manufacturer to manufacturer (probably is), but my M5 system did read the change in tire pressure due to this slow leak, when it was not apparent to the naked eye.

Now, I do know that it will NOT read the very gradual, i.e., natural, change in pressures over a course of months caused by temperature, normal seepage, whatever, that requires the driver to monitor the pressure and add a smidget of air from time to time. If this is what you are referring to, you are 100% correct. However, TPMS will sense an embedded puncture that would otherwise take several weeks to deflate a tire.

cheers.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

That is Euros, right? So, 691.00 EUR = 875.816 USD United States Dollars? Sorry for the ignorance, but my computer does not even have that symbol!!!

I take it that the option will be $800 - $900.

Adam
No problem Adam, yes that is in Euros.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:06 PM
texas911
Race Car

I had TPMS on my E55 and it diplayed the pressure on all 4 wheels via a pictograph. Very very accurate and you can actually see the tire pressure go up as you drive (tires getting hotter). Maybe it will be the same for the 997 and the idiot light is only a secondary warning. I loved the TPMS on my E55, never got a flat, but gave a safety margin since my E55 didn't have a spare (early 04 model).
Old 05-13-2005, 12:11 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've heard that the TPMS on the Cayenne has been nothing but a PIA. My dealer tells me that many owners of Cayennes have had to bring them in because the system misreads pressures and basically shuts down the car because it "thinks" tire pressure is too low. Any Cayenne owners here with TPMS experience this? Maybe the system is set to be sensitive on SUVs, what with roll-over concerns and all. If Porsche has indeed perfected their TPMS then this would be for me a must have option. The more monitoring of vital information the better, but only if it works accurately and reliably.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:49 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

By the way, 996ttcab was correct. I just added TPMS to my July build.

-ach
Old 05-14-2005, 01:08 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 569 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
I've heard that the TPMS on the Cayenne has been nothing but a PIA. My dealer tells me that many owners of Cayennes have had to bring them in because the system misreads pressures and basically shuts down the car because it "thinks" tire pressure is too low. Any Cayenne owners here with TPMS experience this? Maybe the system is set to be sensitive on SUVs, what with roll-over concerns and all. If Porsche has indeed perfected their TPMS then this would be for me a must have option. The more monitoring of vital information the better, but only if it works accurately and reliably.
The TPMS on my C-TT was flawless and was awesome in that it could read exact tire pressures within +/- 1 PSI. I don't know about others, but my TPMS system worked great.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:40 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Why don't they develop something REALLY useful, like a digital readout on the dash that shows EXACTLY how many bugs are stuck to your 1) bumper, 2) left side mirror, 3) right side mirror, and 4) wind shield. Now THAT would be worth the price of admission!

Last edited by gota911; 05-15-2005 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:02 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by gota911
Why don't they develop something REALLY useful, like a digital readout on the dash that shows EXACTLY how many bugs are stuck to your 1) bumper, 2) left side mirror, 3) right side mirror, and 4)wind shield. Now THAT would be worth the price of admission!

You bring up an EXCELLENT point!

I'm looking at and have to live with a computer screen in the center console and Porsche nowadays thinks guys who buy their cars are TOTAL gadget freaks, right?

Well why don't they make that computer screen do something IMPORTANT like show engine diagnostics, outputs, faults etc. For example it would be really nice to see if i'm ACTUALLY getting premium gas when I pay for it by checking what teh valve timing is doing.

The service depts have all sorts of software to service the cars WHY can't I have THAT included in my outrageous $2000 (US) bill for the stupid NAV system module???

Old 05-14-2005, 05:16 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
...Well why don't they make that computer screen do something IMPORTANT like show engine diagnostics, outputs, faults etc. For example it would be really nice to see if i'm ACTUALLY getting premium gas when I pay for it by checking what teh valve timing is doing.

The service depts have all sorts of software to service the cars WHY can't I have THAT included in my outrageous $2000 (US) bill for the stupid NAV system module???
Maybe they will soon in a few years. It shouldn't be that difficult. All that's really needed are the measurement inputs from sensors (in addition to the ones there already) and the software to analyze the data and display it on the computer screen. And maybe a beefier PCM cpu with more memory to handle the processing load. I don't see why it can't be done.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:53 PM
JimStrott
Intermediate

...my M5 system did read the change in tire pressure due to this slow leak, when it was not apparent to the naked eye.
Do you mean that the tire didn't "look" flat, or that you'd been measuring the pressure and your gauge showed normal pressures?

-Jim
Old 05-14-2005, 08:29 PM
jfraser
Instructor

....."Well why don't they make that computer screen do something IMPORTANT like show engine diagnostics, outputs, faults etc. For example it would be really nice to see if i'm ACTUALLY getting premium gas when I pay for it by checking what teh valve timing is doing.

The service depts have all sorts of software to service the cars WHY can't I have THAT included in my outrageous $2000 (US) bill for the stupid NAV system module???...."

It's not like Porsche could say that it would make the PCM overly complicated, not user friendly, and have too many buttons.....after all they've already accomplished that!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 11:39 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JimStrott
Do you mean that the tire didn't "look" flat, or that you'd been measuring the pressure and your gauge showed normal pressures?

-Jim
The tire didn't look flat. I did not measure with a gauge because I was only 5 days into the vehicle and had no reason to suspect a flat (other than the clear warning on the dashboard, of course ). With the low profile tires it is very hard to see a flat until it is very flat.

Quick Reply: Option 482 - TPMS can now be ordered.