Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 01:38 PM
tahoeblue
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to beat up this issue further, but the wart frustrates me--for $100K I should be able to enjoy the sportiest handling without the boy racer timer. At this point, I'm also thinking about holding my order to see if this issue is solved in future model years. Some more feedback please:
1. It has been said in previous threads that ordering a car without the wart might hurt resale. I think it might do the opposite as the wart is not likely to age well.
2. For those with the wart, how often do you use the sport mode? (I would guess this is pretty frequently used. I accept as per previous threads it can make a noticeable difference.)
3. How often do you use the timer? Is Porsche trying to tell us that the sport mode is really only necessary on the track?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:13 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoeblue
1. It has been said in previous threads that ordering a car without the wart might hurt resale. I think it might do the opposite as the wart is not likely to age well.
2. For those with the wart, how often do you use the sport mode? (I would guess this is pretty frequently used. I accept as per previous threads it can make a noticeable difference.)
3. How often do you use the timer? Is Porsche trying to tell us that the sport mode is really only necessary on the track?
If Porsche allows S.C. option WITHOUT the wart in future orders, THEN maybe having it on the dash will be unsavory at resale time. IF that happens most people's main choices will be a used car with S.C. minus the wart or the cars without S.C. (i.e. the cars WITH S.C. AND the wart will be ignored). It's possible, in the future the stopwatch is going to take on a legendary spoofish reputation.

Funny,if I remember corrrectly, that the S.C. is for tracking the car yet Porsche voids the warenty for the car if used on a track

Then again, there's probably a youth factor, I bet younger guys like as much stuff as possible sticking out of the interior, wether or not it's attractive.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:13 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't drive without Sport and have used the timer only once.(to see if it worked) It doesn't bother me at all.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:26 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
If Porsche allows S.C. option WITHOUT the wart in future orders, THEN maybe having it on the dash will be unsavory at resale time. IF that happens most people's main choices will be a used car with S.C. minus the wart or the cars without S.C. (i.e. the cars WITH S.C. AND the wart will be ignored). It's possible, in the future the stopwatch is going to take on a legendary spoofish reputation...
Very challenging observation there, MMD (not to be confused with WMD, as someone else did)
Old 05-11-2005, 02:31 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with srfcity: I use the sport mode all the time and only turned the stop watch on once. The wart doesn't bother me at all.....I almost like it, but on the other hand I'm new to Porsche so what do I know.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:06 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys holding off on a 997 purchase because of a little thing like the Chrono? Myopic? Stand back and look at the bigger picture.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:24 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by OCBen
Very challenging observation there, MMD (not to be confused with WMD, as someone else did)
Yeah, I'm just trying to see things from as many angles as possible given my very limited, biased and subjective point of view.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:17 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Any suggestions for an aftermarket replacement display/function(s)? (-%

tino
Old 05-12-2005, 01:40 AM
tahoeblue
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

So far we have heard in a couple of responses that sport mode is used a lot, but the timer basically isn't used. I suppose that's not surprising. It's also not surprising that the strongest endorsement of the wart is that "it doesn't bother me." Have not heard anyone say they actually like it.

The new dash is beautiful (especially in full leather). But get rid of the wart!
Old 05-12-2005, 02:30 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I use sport mode frequently, but not all the time - nice thing is you can push a button and its on in an instant when you want it. The timer - have only played with it. The stupid thing is that its much easier to read the digital display, which provides the same information, and trying to read the wart is almost impossible if you're driving at any speed that's worth timing. It's totally redundant (I think).

While I'd rather not have it there, honestly it really doesn't bother me at all.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Persuader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

MMD
Totally agree.
You are so right.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:44 AM
PV
Pro

Agree with that approach. Life is so simple:

if you don't like the clock, don't take the chrono option. The "basic" models are still doing very well.

if you do need the sports mode, accept the clock, and enjoy. Perfectionism is great to a certain extend. I like the 997, but are there some things not perfect?, Yes, and they will be perfected later on.

Don't wait and wait and wait. I enjoy the P-car for almost 5 months now. By the time Porsche comes with a model without the clock, but with Chrono package we are 2 years further, and guess what, by then I had three years of great driving.

In 7 years from now, there will be a 998 with a hybrid boxer motor, running on bio diesel.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:53 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by PV

Don't wait and wait and wait. .
I agree 100 percent. The only somewhat reasonable justification to wait was the new model year intro. Now there's NO sensible reason to wait, if you can get the car now: do it!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:26 PM
texas911
Race Car

That's my point, look at the overall picture that the 997 is one heck of a car, so enjoy it now.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:01 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Update: Wart Improves Performance!

Since I have never really used the "wart", I decided to road test it last night on my commute home.

1. I think the "wart" makes the car go faster!!! Looking at it out of the corner of my eye definitely made the car go faster! I set a new time record for the commute.

2. It is not totally redundant. The digital display only shows minutes and seconds while the wart is running, but the wart also gives you hundredths of seconds. However, when the timer is stopped, the digital display shows a readout in hundredths of a second.

3. There is more accuracy. My normal trip computer said the commute took 12 minutes, but with the sport chrono, I was a bit faster at 11 minutes, 59.77 seconds.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono