Sponsored by:

Vibration in Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 03:31 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by baboou
As for my experience mentioned, I needed about a three foot breaker bar to loosen the nuts before retightening. So much for experinced mechanics and proper torque settings.
As Johnny pointed out, stay away from these shops that use impact wrenches to mount wheels.... often on max setting. Sounds like that's what happened in your case. I'm sure you'll never go back to that shop again.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:09 PM
steve775
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I will do is to loosen the lug nuts then torque them to the factory recommended setting. Check the cold tire pressure, then test drive the car.

I have been to the track only once, and never hit anything to jolt the car, no pot holes of any real depth have been hit so far.

If that test reveals the vibration still, I'll just take it to the dealer. Actually the shop I took it to is supposed to be very good and they race GT3's, in any case I'll look into this further.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:56 PM
steve775
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

I did the test drive as stated in my post above.

Conclusion: It appears that flat spots may explain the vibration. I began by loosening then re-torqueing the wheel bolts to 130 N-m (96 ft-lbs). Then checked cold tire pressure - perfect on the pressure. Then onto the highway, same situation exactly - noticable vibration in the steering wheel especially at between 60 and 70 mph. On a scale from 1 to 10 I'd say a 3 or 4 for the vibration.

Drove mainly around the speed limit plus 5 to 10 mph. Then got her up around 85 to 90 on an exit ramp rather quickly to see if that would "round out" the tires, then had to slow down a bit onto secondary roads, so I had to get back out onto the highway to tell if it was still vibrating as bad.

This time back on the highway, there was a noticable lack of steering wheel vibration, I felt a small trace, but to even have any improvement at all indicates that some combination of time and perhaps increased speed had reduced the flat spots of the tires. (Therefore we all need to go over 85 ).

On the final leg home, the ride was feeling pretty smooth, and I imagine on a longer trip things would get only better.

Maybe I need to get those devices that eliminate flat spots.

Quick Reply: Vibration in Steering Wheel