Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Wash/Maintain 997 s Cab Canvas Top?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 02:56 AM
Mulberry
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Wash/Maintain 997 s Cab Canvas Top?

This may sound like a silly question but does anyone have any advice or prior experience in maintaining the canvas top of a cabriolet? I'll be getting my cab s next week and I've been getting mixed reviews on how to treat the top (ex: with scotch guard). I live in SoCal and I'd like to know if i should take extra care in pretreating and protecting it from the sun.
Thanks
Old 04-25-2005, 03:45 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use either raggtop or porsche top cleaner and spray protectant. Porsche cleaner an protectant is avilable at dealer. Raggtop can be found on internet. I usea car cover to protect it also.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:03 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a Boxster I had I would try to refrain from cleaning the top too often. If you wash it yourself it's easy to not get it wet with the hose. As long as the car does not stay in the direct sunlight all day I personally would not worry about treating it. Let us know what you find out?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:15 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use lint roller to pickup dirty and lint on the top. Rinse it with water every wash or every other wash. Use a top cleaner 2-3x a year or more often if it's dirty. Use a soft brush to get dirt out.

The protectant is good as tops are usually black and attract lots of heat. It protects it from sun and repells water, moisture, and dirt from getting into the canvas.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:46 PM
jfraser
Instructor

djantilive seems to have covered it well....Here's a how to from Autopia (which is definately the premier detailing forum on the web)

http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page..._v2&id=29&c=21

Jason
Old 04-25-2005, 09:30 PM
MMD
Banned

One thing I try to avoid is rubbing the canvas back and forth with a brush.

I more or less let the bristles contact it and move the handle in a circular direction slightly to get the bristles to "dig" into the fabric to loosendirt. Then I pick up brush and move it to the next small section.

Rubbing back and forth puts alot of wear on the uppermost threads of the fabric weave. When you do it this way it's like you're sanding the top of the fabric and leaving the dirt down inside it.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Mulberry
5th Gear

Thanks for all of your helpful advices. I really appreciate it! The dealer called me today and informed me that my cab is ready for pick up! Im so excited.
Thanks Again! ^_^

Quick Reply: How to Wash/Maintain 997 s Cab Canvas Top?