Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed XM Radio and Parrot 3100 Bluetooth handsfree!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm glad you took my comment in the spirit it was given, sometimes things get "misinterpreted" here. I'm fortunealtly able to upgrade my current phone (motorola V400) to a bluetooth Motorola V551 and will be doing so soon. Combined with a good bluetooth headset I think I will be good to go.

The info you are giving here is VERY valuable, thank you for taking the time to present it!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:17 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI...There is also a 12VDC socket in the center console!
Old 04-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Balloonmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

How good is the reception with the antenna mounted on the dashboard? I have Sirius radio in my Jeep which I really like and I would love to come up with an installation package like yours. Nicely done.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:39 PM
sportscarfanatic
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary, you are most welcome.

The reception is good enough in my opinion, I have the antenna outside on the Cayenne but the reception is the same for the routes I take on a regular basis. I had a similar setup with the 996 TT, the antenna was in the back and inside. That worked well too. I wouldn't recommend to put it outside on a 911 since it might be very interesting for some people to take home to.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the sound quality of the XM via the FM antenna module vice a CD? I know the XM in my Audi is CD quality.

Is the interface between the XM and the antenna module pretty good in the aural department?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:00 PM
sportscarfanatic
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's extremely good. Even though XM itself is not CD quality (technically it's much lower, but through some nice engineering it sounds good enough, their broadcast bandwidth is much less than the bitrate of a CD or an MP3 128Kbps)
Old 04-26-2005, 12:46 AM
jase700
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a very similar setup in my Cayenne S with the CDR-23. I have the Terk XM commander as well and a Sony Ericsson HCB-30 bluetooth adapter. Got the phone kit from Becker radio. My XM is FM hardwired to the back of the radio. When the call co mes in the audio mutes and the phone plays through the right speaker. works flawlessly. I am even able to push the button on the bluetooth module and voice dial without touching the phone.

As far as sound quality goes, I find it a bit muted in the midrange, even compared to the regular FM stations. it is nowhere near CD quality. I do not get any interference at all. Volume is hard to come by. For example, 15 on my radio is pretty loud for a CD, but almost inaudible on XM. I can hear a CD great at about 17 at 65mpg on with the windows down, but would have to be close to 32 for the XM to be nearly as loud.

I am extremely happy with the bluetooth setup, but have been somewhat frustrated by the sound quality of XM. I enjoy the programming. I had the work done at a car stereo store in chantilly VA. All told about $600 for equipment and installation.

jason
Old 04-26-2005, 12:38 PM
sportscarfanatic
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keep the menu button pressed on the XM radio, this will take you to setting, rotate the dial to come to volume, and increase it to level 8, see if that helps. I don't have the problem you describe in either cars.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:05 AM
DD694
Instructor

Default Question on Parrot CK3100 Installation

Originally Posted by sportscarfanatic
I will post pictures by the end of the day.

- I installed together with a friend
- Parrot system uses both front car speakers and car amplifier
- Parrot CK3100 is behind the glove box
- Mic is behind the steering wheel, a picture will explain this better
Can you give me any more specific details on how you wired the Parrot to the car speakers?

On one of your posts with the photos you indicated that the Parrot was wired between the AMP and the speakers.

Here you say that the Parrot operates through the amplifier and the speakers. Can you verify which is the case?

I appreciate any assistance you can provide in making this installation to my 997S with Bose amplifier.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:52 AM
merbesfield
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have any experience using the Parrot kit with a Nextel Blackberry 7520?
Old 07-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Is it my imagination or does the screen on your Parrot say,
"Paris Hilton Screwed Alex Grmx?"
Old 07-10-2005, 09:03 PM
doc j
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much did the parrot 3100 set cost? how many hours did it take you to install? how much would you estimate it would cost to have it professionally installed?
thanks.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:09 AM
sportscarfanatic
Addict
Rennlist Member

Parrot was wired between the AMP and the speakers, spliced between the AMP and the speakers, at the point where the door connection to the speakers are.

1. Cut the cable from AMP to the left/right speaker just before it goes into the door.

2. Take the one which goes to the AMP and connect that to the AMP section of Parrot, take the one which connects to the the Speaker and connect that to the Speaker part of Parrot. You will need extension cables if you want to put the Parrot behind the radio system to make sure the cables are long enough. Think about it, you will need to run to the each door side twice, use thick audio cables. This configuration means the Parrot is inserted between the AMP and the left/right speakers.

I use mine like this on a 997 S, without any problems.

Have fun!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:10 AM
sportscarfanatic
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use the Parrot with Blackberry 7250 without any issues. Works like a charm.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:11 AM
sportscarfanatic
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Paris Hilton Screwed Alex Grmx?" was displayed on the XM radio, not the Parrot, I was surprised as well, name of a strange song.

Quick Reply: Installed XM Radio and Parrot 3100 Bluetooth handsfree!