Sponsored by:

When does '06 Production Start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 06:32 PM
sactogreg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When does '06 Production Start?

When does the factory start making the 2006 models? Is it after the summer shutdown, or do they start earlier? Is there actually a gap in allocations in the June/July timeframe?
Old 05-01-2005, 01:38 AM
CARV
AutoX

I was wondering this myself. Does anyone know when the '06's start being produced?

And as long as we're on the topic, how long is the order-to-delivery time running right now? I'm guessing four months. Any info?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2005, 03:27 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sactogreg
When does the factory start making the 2006 models? Is it after the summer shutdown, or do they start earlier? Is there actually a gap in allocations in the June/July timeframe?
Anything built from June on is an '06 model, from what I've heard from the dealer, and they won't be delivered 'til the official rollout in September. That means May will be the last production month for '05 models. Where did you hear about a summer shutdown? I don't believe Porsche has any shutdowns whatsoever. Wouldn't make sense. I would think they run 24/7 at their production facilities at full capacity. Why would they shut down?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:09 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Actually, they DO shut down for about 2 months in summer, driven mainly by re-tooling for the model year change over. On the Porsche site, under Build your Porsche, one of the last "options" you can buy is European delivery. They mention that the factory is closed for two months, so you have to schedule your trip to occur sometime other than those two months. I don't recall the exact months (and I can't get into the Build your Porsche part of their site, because of some sort of continuous "internet timed out, refresh" loop only on the Build your Porsche site). Strange!
Old 05-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Actually, they DO shut down for about 2 months in summer, driven mainly by re-tooling for the model year change over.
One month. August only. Also, it is not an entire shutdown. Some production still happens.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sactogreg
Officially, September is the start of a new MY. But, sometimes they decide to start earlier and that can be anytime before the August shutdown.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:41 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I heard that they close from July through August. How this affects their porduction I do not know. The best thing to do is check with your rep. CARV, as far as the time schedule is concerned your'e looking at 5-6 months from the time of order to delivery. I have an April build and although my car was finished on 4-20-05 I am still waiting for a vessel to ship to the US. I hope to have it for Memorial Day Weekend.

Jay (April Build)
Atlas Grey Metallic
997 S Cab
Sport Chrono
Nav
Full Leather, black
Carrera Classic Wheels
Painted Crests
Power Seats, heated
Old 05-01-2005, 11:38 AM
CARV
AutoX

Thanks,

Hey Jay, wasn't yours a little longer than average though?

I would just rather not order a post vacation "how do we do that again?" and "how do we do this new '06 thing?" car........lol

Oh yeah, how hungover do the Germans get during Octoberfest?? lol

Anyway, can you specify the build date at the dealer ie. order in July for a November build?
Old 05-01-2005, 11:53 AM
MMD
Banned

I must have got BSed by dealer or else things are more complicated. He said car (997S) will be built in July and if we're lucky it will arrive in late August.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:02 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

There will be no major tooling changes for the 997, therefore they could start building them in July. That's what they did last year with the Cayennes. It seems that the new model year is beginning earlier and earlier for all manufactures. RR which was one of the latest intros is June this year. I think the dealer gave you the correct info, since they get their future allocations in blocks.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:01 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

CARV, Yes my length of time was extended for two reasons. One I ordered a cabriolet before they started production. And two I ordered a titptronic S. I did this because I will be sharing my car with my wife. I'm still excited. My sales said that Porsche was changing the tiptronic transmissions and that moved my original build dated of late March to mid April. So you are probably correct that the average wait times are not as long. Keep the faith I hope your time passes quickly.

Jay
Old 05-01-2005, 04:08 PM
OCBen
Banned

Anybody here have a June production car that won't be an '06?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

I have a 2006 for june build-july delivery, on order since december. this seems to be one of those times porsche changes routine.
perry
Old 05-02-2005, 01:57 AM
OCBen
Banned

So I guess May is the last production month for '05 and June is the month that '06 models begin production, just as I had been informed. So to answer Sactogreg's question, June is the start of '06 production with NO shutdown between model year production for re-tooling, since no re-tooling is apparently needed.

Last edited by OCBen; 05-02-2005 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
Anything built from June on is an '06 model, from what I've heard from the dealer, and they won't be delivered 'til the official rollout in September.
RESURRECTED!

I'm thinking about ordering the European delivery option on a MY '09, but I could only go to Europe in July 2008 really, not later, since I would want to drive around for 6-8 weeks and would have to be back in the U.S. by late August.

So, (and I searched but I could not find an answer): If - as Ben said (mind, two years ago) that new MY production starts in June but rollout won't happen until September, is it even possible to do European delivery of a new MY in July already?

(Besides this issue, I still hate the thought of having holes drilled into my front bumper when I really don't need them in Louisiana).

Thanks, amigos.

Quick Reply: When does '06 Production Start?