Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Auto 18 vs 19 inch test.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 01:01 PM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with your bottom line. It is however interesting to see what they had to do with the motor to make the S that bit faster again, to compensate for the extra weight and drag.

I hope for the real purists that Porsche is bringing a GT3 on the market without options (so no power seats, no power windows, no nav system, no PASM, no leather, no radio, no rain sensor, no phone, no climat control and maybe not even an airco), but with some great new inventions: ultra light wheels, only PCCB, only 7 speed manual, oil temp, coolant temp, gear box temp, oil pressure, dip stick, max rpm of 9000.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:24 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Am I allowed to chime in?

Last time I gave my opinion on 18s vs. 19s I was shouted down by a few people. This is just more of what I've posted on before - that marketing had taken engineering over on the issue of 18s vs. 19s on the 997 (probably the M3 CSL as well).

Just to clarify - the 18s and 19s have the same overall diameter tire, so there's no error there. The 18s have a taller sidewall is all.

For those interested in the debate, there are several posts here about this and chrono sport. My purist sense is to go 997 base with 18s, sunroof delete (which my dealer and his paperwork say are allowed), and the lightest seats (appear to be the manual sport seats). Keep the weight as low as possible, the suspension as simple as possible, etc.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:38 AM
WULF
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMD
If that's true I'm getting pissed. It's like posers are designing this car for Porsche. All show and no action.

I read somewhere that the 19s were slapped on the S just for looks and to differentiate it from the non-S.

So I have a slower car, with a harsher ride, just so it LOOKS cool and this is totally fine with Porsche even though they try to sell the car with all that "no-compromise-in-performance" baloney in the brochures?
Like everything else in performance the wheel size debate is about compromise. Generally to improve one area you have to give up something. There is no absolute best wheel size. It just depends what you want to give up. Going up a wheel size and down a tyre profile ratio should give you more mechanical grip with a very similar tyre diameter.You give up ride quality(which shouldn't be a consideration) , possibly increase weight depending on wheel choices and slightly increase drag.

What's best ? Like suspension tuning it depends on the sort of driving you do and could change from road to road and track to track.

The real problems with 19's are the lack of choice in track tyres and the GT class restriction to 18's

Personally I have both 18's and 19's for my GT3 and I like them both.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:53 AM
PV
Pro

WULF, good balanced view on things. I have the 19" for some of those reasons and probably would buy another set of 18" if I would put the car on the track, but I don't.

Quick Reply: Sport Auto 18 vs 19 inch test.