Sponsored by:

My two Porsche report card...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:48 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My two Porsche report card...

The 997S is next... first, 6000 miles total on the Cayenne S, 2500 serious winter miles running Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires on AT Italia rims. When it comes to snow/ice grip the tires make ALL the difference. Every time I switch out the wheels I am in awe at the quality of the Porsche Cayenne S suspension. Certainly, I was seriously pissed when I received a notice that I would have to have the transfer case replaced right after I bought it. It was all anger for naught though as the dealer did a quick job, left no dirt in the interior, and I got to drive a BMW X3 for 6 hours (which reassured me that I had picked well choosing the Cayenne S). It makes me chuckle to think what I almost bought instead!

Report at this date that without a doubt the Cayenne S is the best SUV/truck with the highest quality of design, fit and finish of the five that I've owned by a LONG shot. Grade, A- .

The 997S... 4100 miles on the Carrera S so far and it has been a revelation. A freakishly fast car for a steel and leather wrapped flat six with only 295 fpt. Steering seems to hang a U-turn in place and it has a drive train and gearbox that just make me laugh with joy. Snick, snick, snick. Ahhh, sweeeet! And what a suspension... corners a posted 25 MPH hairpin at 40 smoooooth and sets back down on-line like butter with grip to spare. Granted, at 3200 miles the 997S made me think she had an RMS problem BUT it was just a Vario Cam Cap seal on one of the heads... simple replacement by the dealer. I sheepishly admit that I totally over reacted by considering an immediate trade for that 996 TT I was asking about several weeks ago. I didn't have all the data and let myself assume the worst. Glad I've got the 997S. The M3 was easier to drive fast and the Lingenfelter modified Corvette accelerated like launching a Zuni rocket strapped to a shopping cart but the 997S has a beastly finesse that out of this world.

Report at this date is that the 997S is the most amazingly fast, seriously sticky and actually safe sports car of the three that I've owned. It truly does surprise me that this fine automobile costs what it does. Grade, A-.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whew!!!!... What a great post!.... Just been tired of all the negativity as of late across all boards! Your post is like Spring... a new beginning with hope and loads of positive energy.

Kudos for keeping your priorities straight and keeping things in perspective, in light of the annoying troubles you've experienced in both.

Cheers.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:46 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Nice to hear, I love my 997 non S to death and have had no problems to date....

I am getting it re-aligned next week by an expert on Porsche's!!!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:46 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

nice to hear a positve post for a change...these web sites tend to be a sounding board for complaints aabout the cars...its easy to get the impression that the new porsches are terribly built and are falling apart but that only becasue the 99% of owners who have no problems dont post....
Old 04-05-2005, 11:43 PM
PV
Pro

Thanks for the positive note. Bad news always goes faster, so it is good to see some positive news. I have very similar experience with 4700 miles on the clock.

By the way, you can take that 30 MPH U-turn with an EZ 65 MPH

Quick Reply: My two Porsche report card...