Sponsored by:

"System fault" update?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Gk1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry "System fault" update?

With 435 miles on my Carrera S, got the "system fault" message on my dash today, plus the red "exclamation mark" warning light (something to do with brakes, according to the manual). Have read previous posts on this . Any updated info on the cause? Thanks!
Old 04-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Rob997
AutoX

A defective front trunk latch. Had one replaced on mine as well with only 1,400 miles on the car. You hear of the defect quite often.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:27 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Hope it works out for you both!
Old 04-02-2005, 04:39 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Good Lord. I cannot believe that PAG hasn't figured this one out yet. It's cost them at least one very public buy back from a lifelong Porsche owner on Rennlist.

I hope they figure this one out soon...

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Gk1
Intermediate

Wink Thanks, all!!

I appreciate your inpuy, everyone. Will report back.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Speed
Pro

Please tell me they will have solved this issue when they make my cab later this month.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:55 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfraser
GK1
I have the same problem on mine....I've had the trunk latches replaced, and mine came back again.....Porsche really do want to get to the bottom of this once and for all because it's happening on a lot of the cars.
They are flying an engineer from the factory in Germany, and someone from PCNA in Atlanta over to Los Angeles to look at my car on Tuesday....I'll let you know what they find out. I have too say that I'm extremely impressed by this level of customer service. Thank you Porsche.
Any indication from the Porsche factory experts as to the nature of the problem? I washed my car on Wednesday and drove it today for the first time since then. I now have the "System Fault Return to Workshop" message, the red excalamation mark and the nav system map seems to go from daytime to nighttime display for no apparent reason. Otherwise the car seems driveable. I have an appointment with the dealer this coming Thursday for a diagnostic session.

If you can shed some more light on this problem before then, it will be greatly appreciated. I have the list of parts that Brian E indicated resolved this matter on his car.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:28 PM
997C2S
Intermediate

DD964,

The same thing happened to my car about two weeks ago. I called my delaer and they told me they would order the necessary parts and that I could keep driving the car. My SF message seems to be intermittent, i.e., it comes on under acceleration and cruising but goes off when decelerating (most of the time). My dealer says the parts are on "backorder". I told them I would give them two weeks and then we should start escalating the concern to get the parts here and get this thing fixed. The parts are all associated with the front hood latch assembly.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:48 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

997C2S,

Thanks for the response on your status and the parts situation. Judging from "jfraser"'s post above, replacing the previously detailed parts does not seem to have prevented the problem returning on his car. I would like very much to know what the Porsche factory engineer and the PCNA guy conclude is the real solution to this annoying problem.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:54 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Just a thought regarding the "System Fault" after washing the car. Does anyone who has gotten the dreaded "System Fault" open the front hood after washing the car to dry it? i wonder if the water is getting in after opening the hood? Just a thought...PAG where are you on this one?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:05 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

i did not open the hood when my "fault" message popped up. actually, i was drying the car and then i heard a "pop" near the front latch. at that point, i knew i would see the "system fault". and my car too goes into the night mode. my instrument lights and rear tailamps come on. there was some discussions whether the interior lights should be doing this anyway. i dont think so.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:44 PM
997C2S
Intermediate

I was drying the front hood when I heard a sort of whirring sound. I did open the hood to dry in the channels. When I restarted the car, the SF message was on.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:34 AM
STAR57
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OT... I will never buy a new car again at the new model year, had a flagship 1996 mercedes 300 SDL it was the first year they had a 6 Cylinder Turbo Diesel, well... the engine went at less than 50K miles.
It was after the 4 year was up all I got was the rebuilding for free, the labor of taking it out and shipping 3K miles to the Rebuild center came off my pocket.
Good luck with the 997 to all of you...maybe I will wait till all the bugs are out.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:28 PM
vann
8th Gear

I had the "System Fault Return to Work Shop" message. I took the car to the dealer and it take them 8 days to fix the problem by replacing the trunk latches. However, after I washed my car today and while drying the car I heard the turnk latches make a noise and the message come back. jfraser can you give us an update to your car. I guess I have to bring the car back to the dealer again.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:42 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Was this the system fault that happened to Skip? Did he ever figure out really what was goin on? I read something above about a "very public buyback from a rennlister" and assumed that was it...I thought Skip's car wouldn't start as well....just curious as to if the real problem was ever identified with Skip's car..

Quick Reply: "System fault" update?