997 Child Seat Airbag Deactivation Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 08:56 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts
Default 997 Child Seat Airbag Deactivation Update

As most of you (who care) know, the new 997 child seat airbag deactivation system changed from 996. Now a module is installed on the right side of the dash (covered by door and hidden when door is closed), with a key operated switch to activate / deactivate the airbags for the front passenger seat.

A couple months ago, the part (kit) apparently first became available. Apparently I got the first one. My dealer tried to install, but aborted when they could not get the software needed to make the device operable with my car.

After waiting a month or two, I finally contacted PCNA. The status now seems to be as follows:

1. Cars with a 1/05 or later build date can accept the software through the PIWIS.

2. Cars with an earlier build date (e.g. mine) have a DME that at this point cannot accept the software. To make it work today, they would have to swap out the DME. However, apparently they will have the PIWIS system fixed sometime soon (a month or so) so that the software can be installed in the pre-1/05 build date cars.

Both my dealer and PCNA were very good at following up on this and the PCNA guy contacted Germany to get some good info.

Anyone actually have the deactivation device installed and working yet?

Quick Reply: 997 Child Seat Airbag Deactivation Update