Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bravo Porsche!. Earnings high...but quality low.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 01:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos from Spain
Nick,
... Be happy with your car and go out and "drive" it and forget about other people's.
Carlos: Nick does not "drive" his Ferrari... that would devalue his garage queen. He bought it to enshrine it in his garage and tell his friends that he is one of the select few (NOT) who bought a Ferrari... instead, he uses his free time to post on Porsche forums bashing our cars. A pathetic life indeed. I hope he seeks therapy and very soon.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:11 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick

1- they will hear from me in spades.

2- they will hear from me.

3- they will hear from me.

4- they will hear from me.

5- they will hear from me.

6- they will hear from me.

7- they will hear from me.

8- they will hear from me.

9- they will hear from me.

10- they will hear from me.
That's ten "...they will hear from me..." in a row.

Refreshing to see that inflated self-esteem and delusional grandiosity are things that you've learned to live with.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick
Porsche is the greatest sport car ever produced by mankind. There now I am sure most would on this site is a worthwhile contribution.

If Ferrari produces a lemon they will hear from me in spades.

If they produce a look alike cheaper model at about one half the price then they will hear from me.

When Ferrari openly admits that their intention is to share over 50% of the cheaper model parts with the twice expensive model they will hear from me.

If they increase their production by over 100% to line their pockets and cause resale value of their customer ownership to tumble they will hear from me.

When Ferrari denies hesitation problems despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary from their customers they will hear from me.

When Ferrari goes on record and state any type of track work voids the warranty they will hear from me.

When Ferrari runs away from racing and yet markets its cars based on racing heritage and success then they will hear from me.

When Ferrari denies a serious RMS problem with a number of 996's AND 997"s they will hear from me.

When Ferrari sells a revolutionary new model(like the 996) and claims it is the culmination of 50 years of sport car experience then later on its chief engineer publicly admits the the 996 was nothing more than a stop gap measure restricted in engineering because of cost considerations, then they will hear from me.

Finally, when Ferrari closes down their design and styling facility and begins to produce cars that look the way they did 40 years ago, then they will hear from me.

And you from Carlbad CA, your right, all of you are much smarter than me. I bow to your incredible intellect but will commiserate on your behalf regarding the financial disaster of your car ownership.
I think Nick really loves himself. I forwarded this message to Ferrari, they sent me back an email.
Dear Fill,
We do not know who Nick is. Why would we be affraid of Nick? Does Nick have some type of super power? Is Nick some kind of super hero?

Nick one thing we would like is to NOT HEAR FROM YOU so in closing NICK, Don't leave pissed off......just leave
Old 03-27-2005, 03:17 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Fill
Nick one thing we would like is to NOT HEAR FROM YOU so in closing NICK, Don't leave pissed off......just leave
Fill, you forgot Ferrari saying .....and dont be a Nick...
Old 03-27-2005, 05:15 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Raul, I don't see a drop in quality. I see the obverse happening. "Don't be hatin'."

Last edited by holminator; 12-21-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:55 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

My car has had the film removed from the quarter panel and I didn't get my nav disc until 3 weeks after ownership. I can't say I am happy with Porsche service right now.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:52 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who cares what nick thinks, I love the 997. Resale value be damned! That is until I get my 997 turbo.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:59 PM
JeffES
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, the joys of specialty or "boutique" businesses. There's always some one who is brighter, smarter, wealthier, ad nauseum, and are willing to share their terrific insights with others.
If you like/can use/enjoy a particular product, fantastic. If not, that's great too.
As far as PAG, well, there are many people who have taken difficult decisions in the operation of the company (and yes, it's publicly traded - and worse than that, to help fund the steps required to pull themselves out the their early 90's issues, PAG had to issue more investment class (non voting) stock, thus increasing revenue pressures), and they've done a masterful job of keeping themselves in business.
If you have particular problems with your Porsche vehicle, then by all means exhaust every means in making the vehicle (and your ownership) whole.
To attempt to equate profitability with some sort of poorly defined confidence racket however....
/rant on:
Here's an idea: take your vast wealth to build & sell your own fantastic sports car. After you build 3 and sell 2 (one to another family member), you can then call a press conference to lambaste all for "not getting" your unique vision of a sports car. You can then retire & write great books & give lectures on the unfairness of marketplaces, and how the "big guys" routinely squash the "heroic little guy" /rant off

J
Old 03-29-2005, 08:01 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Man. you guys are bitter. And maybe blind too. Someone questions Porsche's quality and they get drawn and quartered. Here's my take. I have owned many cars, foreign and domestic over the years. 32 to be exact. I have never had an RMS problem. I have also never had a glove compartment handle come off in my hand on a $90K car, like a 94 Porsche I recently looked at did, or been shut down on the highway for no apparent reason, or had my car have problems after a washing. Come on now. There has seemed to be a lot of teeething problems with the 997 and many comments from the Rennlist members questioning Porsche quality in general over the past few years. Nothing wrong with that in my book. It's healthy in fact. If someone spends $80 to $100K plus for a car they have a right to certain engineering expectations. There is no excuse for shoddy workmanship or poor quality in todays market, at any price. There are other options. To suggest that someone just doesn't get it when they offer legitimate criticism is nothing more than elitist posturing. Instead of fiddling while Stuttgart burns perhaps constructive criticism will lead to a better product. BTW, I am a paying Rennlist member. I joined this forum to garner information about the Porsche of choice in my near future. I have been well educated by the vast amount of info made available through this great forum. It has been well worth the price of admission. I certainly didn't expect a bunch of Porsche syncophants nodding like bobbleheaded dolls as they drive lemming like over the cliff of quality. Bring it on good or bad and let folks make their own decision. For myself the quality concerns now have me considering a late model turbo or else waiting for the 06 997. Yeah, thats right. I still gotta have a Porsche. OK my flame suit is on.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Raul
AutoX

I just picked my car today. The fuel pump was defective: I was full of small pieces of a black plastic that affected the pump rotor. According to the Porsche technician,the fuel pump does not break so easily (It is the same fuel pump as the 996 and Boxster), so he said it was already defective.

I appreciate very much all of your comments, even those that I did not like much. My average English level does not allow me to to fully express my thoughts and ideas the way I would like to do. It is not an excuse, It is just a handicap. Thank you for your compressibility.
My idea was to write a brief post of my experience with my new Porsche. I mentioned just a couple of things that I did not like. I did not want to do a research about Porsche`s quality. Yes, it is true that a defective fuel pump does not represent the overall quality of Porsche, but the car broke down three days after delivery. This fuel pump was already defective when the car was assambled ,and quality controls did not detect it. The check engine did not detect it either (It is not prepared to do so). The Porsche engine has been running for 100 hours at the dino before delivery but I guess it uses another fuel pump when testing, not the one that will go into the car. And what about waiting ten days for a new fuel pump?. No comments.
And, "eight months" delivery time?. Nobody said anything about this, and some of you just gave more importance to the " DVD case" story(BTW, I got another DVD at Porsche`s dealer). I waited three more months than expected. I made more than 20 phone calls to Porsche, and they called me only twice. Why so much delay?. Did you know that Porsche is having problems at the production line? They are suffering a shortage of components. In my case, they did not have steel crome exhaust pipes available until February. Also,I had to cancel the RDK option(tire pressure monitor) because it was going to delay the production time of my car. How can they delay production with options that are not available yet?.
Today, I asked Porsche about the telephone module. How much? 1000 EUROS!!!. But they are supposed to earn money with cars...... not with car options.

I am a Porsche fan, and this is why I am a proud owner of a Porsche. I am very demanding with Porsche because I love it. But I have to be critical because I dont like mediocricity, and these stories mentioned above are examples of a mediocre company, not the Porsche company that we all love.
BTW. Nick was right. There is a decline in quality of german car manufacturers. According to Car Magazine (U.K.based), the number of complaints against German car manufacturers in the U.K. has been increasing steadily. Last year, the number of complaints has jumped to a serious level. The last sentence of the article says.."..Dont buy German, buy Japanese" (which I dont agree).
Old 03-29-2005, 09:51 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Man. you guys are bitter. And maybe blind too. Someone questions Porsche's quality and they get drawn and quartered. Here's my take. I have owned many cars, foreign and domestic over the years. 32 to be exact. I have never had an RMS problem. I have also never had a glove compartment handle come off in my hand on a $90K car, like a 94 Porsche I recently looked at did, or been shut down on the highway for no apparent reason, or had my car have problems after a washing. Come on now. There has seemed to be a lot of teeething problems with the 997 and many comments from the Rennlist members questioning Porsche quality in general over the past few years. Nothing wrong with that in my book. It's healthy in fact. If someone spends $80 to $100K plus for a car they have a right to certain engineering expectations. There is no excuse for shoddy workmanship or poor quality in todays market, at any price. There are other options. To suggest that someone just doesn't get it when they offer legitimate criticism is nothing more than elitist posturing. Instead of fiddling while Stuttgart burns perhaps constructive criticism will lead to a better product. BTW, I am a paying Rennlist member. I joined this forum to garner information about the Porsche of choice in my near future. I have been well educated by the vast amount of info made available through this great forum. It has been well worth the price of admission. I certainly didn't expect a bunch of Porsche syncophants nodding like bobbleheaded dolls as they drive lemming like over the cliff of quality. Bring it on good or bad and let folks make their own decision. For myself the quality concerns now have me considering a late model turbo or else waiting for the 06 997. Yeah, thats right. I still gotta have a Porsche. OK my flame suit is on.
KBS911, you've written a rambling jumble of contradictory lines of thought that start with a group wide insult, end with an even greater group wide insult, and finally proclaim your right and readiness to be inappropriately dressed down by the people you've just insulted. What?

Dude, are you sure you wouldn't be happier with a used Corvette?

Last edited by JohnnyNarcosis; 03-29-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul
and some of you just gave more importance to the " DVD case" story(BTW, I got another DVD at Porsche`s dealer).
What is the DVD I keep hearing about?
Was it supposed to come with my car?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:57 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul
I just picked my car today. The fuel pump was defective: I was full of small pieces of a black plastic that affected the pump rotor. According to the Porsche technician,the fuel pump does not break so easily (It is the same fuel pump as the 996 and Boxster), so he said it was already defective.

I appreciate very much all of your comments, even those that I did not like much. My average English level does not allow me to to fully express my thoughts and ideas the way I would like to do. It is not an excuse, It is just a handicap. Thank you for your compressibility.
My idea was to write a brief post of my experience with my new Porsche. I mentioned just a couple of things that I did not like. I did not want to do a research about Porsche`s quality. Yes, it is true that a defective fuel pump does not represent the overall quality of Porsche, but the car broke down three days after delivery. This fuel pump was already defective when the car was assambled ,and quality controls did not detect it. The check engine did not detect it either (It is not prepared to do so). The Porsche engine has been running for 100 hours at the dino before delivery but I guess it uses another fuel pump when testing, not the one that will go into the car. And what about waiting ten days for a new fuel pump?. No comments.
And, "eight months" delivery time?. Nobody said anything about this, and some of you just gave more importance to the " DVD case" story(BTW, I got another DVD at Porsche`s dealer). I waited three more months than expected. I made more than 20 phone calls to Porsche, and they called me only twice. Why so much delay?. Did you know that Porsche is having problems at the production line? They are suffering a shortage of components. In my case, they did not have steel crome exhaust pipes available until February. Also,I had to cancel the RDK option(tire pressure monitor) because it was going to delay the production time of my car. How can they delay production with options that are not available yet?.
Today, I asked Porsche about the telephone module. How much? 1000 EUROS!!!. But they are supposed to earn money with cars...... not with car options.

I am a Porsche fan, and this is why I am a proud owner of a Porsche. I am very demanding with Porsche because I love it. But I have to be critical because I dont like mediocricity, and these stories mentioned above are examples of a mediocre company, not the Porsche company that we all love.
BTW. Nick was right. There is a decline in quality of german car manufacturers. According to Car Magazine (U.K.based), the number of complaints against German car manufacturers in the U.K. has been increasing steadily. Last year, the number of complaints has jumped to a serious level. The last sentence of the article says.."..Dont buy German, buy Japanese" (which I dont agree).
Here's my take on decline in Porsche's (& other manufacturer's) quality:

Porsche has more problems nowadays because Porsche has started pimpin' their cars.

Before 996, Porsche also had problems of course, but mostly they were dual mass flywheels, disrtributor belts, valve quides etc.
Mostly problems that were not "immediate" problems but showed later on when car got older and at that point, car (usually) already had "enthusiast" owner who fixed the clutch, did distributor fix and continued without problems, and was happy.

But this enthusiast owner didn't have to worry about fancy elctrical graemlins, such as electric trunk opener (why the **** does a car need to have electric trunk opener anyway?! My trunk opener handle in my 911 with wire had worked fine for 30+ years and current is 10 years old and I don't see why it wouldn't last those 30+ years also), and didn't have to wait for the delivery because Porsche was out of tire pressure monitors.

His or hers 911 didn't have any of those pimpin' nonsense things that nowadays sells more Porsches than performance or Porsche racing in Le Mans does.

Instead, he had a sportscar that had all the basic functions you need in a sportscar, things like good suspension, brakes etc. and some nonsense stuff, such as sunroof but not so many they now have. Porsche had to concentrate on those things and not all the gimmics they now also need to concentrate on and that's why then there are more problems with Porsches, or any modern cars nowadays.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:02 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
KBS911, you've written a rambling jumble of contradictory lines of thought that start with a group wide insult, end with an even greater group wide insult, and finally proclaim your right and readiness to be inappropriately dressed down by the people you've just insulted. What? Dude, are you sure you wouldn't be happier with a used Corvette?
Dear Johnny,

No group wide insult intended. And nothing personal either. This is a great forum. The best I think. That's why I joined so I could research the ins and outs of Porsche ownership and make an informed decision on my intended purchase. Rather than rambling, albeit a little long, I thought my post was quite concise and referenced specific issues, most of which were gathered from this forum. My post was based on my reaction to Raul being blasted for the apparent audacity to question Porsche quality when he is obviously a victim. I didn't notice a see no, hear no, speak no evil about Porsche clause when I joined Rennlist. I was suprised at the reaction to Raul's post and suspected I might get a little of the same to my post. Especially due to my minimal posting history. To deny that there are quite a few people that have had a multitude of problems with their 997's as expressed on this forum is to deny reality. Porsche should do something about it.

As far as your comment about the used vette. Your class is exceeded only by your wit. By your comment I would submit that you have more than a few gold chains in your closet. Peace out. Dude.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:16 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

There are problems with any car when new.....

Who cares! Life is to short to not drink fine wine, enjoy fine women and drive fast cars!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Bravo Porsche!. Earnings high...but quality low.