Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would it take to keep you in this Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005 | 09:32 AM
jboyko
Intermediate

Default What would it take to keep you in this Porsche

Sadly enough, I need to make a decision now, about keeping my Porsche, or letting it go. When I thought about getting a new 997S, I felt that I should get it now, while I was still young enough to use most of the cars abilities. But the idea of buying a $ 100k car that I may not like bothered me a little, so I decided to lease the car for 30 months. Well, it's 6 months, 7000 miles, with 51 cumulative days out of service for various large and small problems, and Porsche wants to deal, to keep me in the car for the last 24 months.

Porsche's offer to me (which I don't want to disclose) ends tomorrow on the 24th, while my date with the NJ Office of Administrative Law hearing is set for April 11. I am considering various counter offers (because I really like the 997) so, I ask with all sincerity, what would you do.

Thanks,

jb
Old 03-23-2005 | 09:44 AM
CO997
Racer

That's a tough answer without knowing what they are willing to offer you. I guess it comes down to how much you like the car. If the car's issues have been resolved and you are now or will soon be enjoying the car again why not keep it, especially if Porsche are willing to make you a nice deal to keep it. If you get angry every time you look at the car, well then maybe it's time to move on. When you pay that much for a car, especially one that is supposed to bring you lots of driving enjoyment then you really need to want the car, and want to drive it. If those are not the feelings you have for the car then it isn't for you anymore.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-23-2005 | 09:59 AM
texas911
Race Car

Lemon law and order another one.
Old 03-23-2005 | 11:00 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Get rid of it asap...it will only continue!
Old 03-23-2005 | 11:08 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Depends what they are offering, if it's a new car, go for it, if not they really need to compensate you by lowering the lease pymnt/lowering the res val/ or some financial cosideration. Hard question.
Old 03-23-2005 | 11:22 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

When you are leasing, you are paying retail. The dealer and factory have lots of room. Get them to be fair. I have had big problems with my last car, a Boxster and have 5,500 miles on my 997S and could not be happier.
Old 03-23-2005 | 11:27 AM
MMD
Banned

Get rid of the frickin thing!!! Go Porsche-less. Cool your jets for a few months or a year, and then shop around for another Porsche (or BMW or whatever) if you still feel like owning a fancy car which you'll never (like alot of us) experience the full potential of.
Old 03-23-2005 | 11:57 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

I tend to agree with the suggestions here of getting out of this car and the getting another one down the road... sorry to hear your initial experience was a negative one. We get these cars to enjoy them, a few of us used them as daily drivers... once you use a 911 as a daily driver every other car seems... well... mundane...
Old 03-23-2005 | 12:09 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Another alternative

[QUOTE=jboyko] But the idea of buying a $ 100k car that I may not like bothered me a little

I might think about asking them to get you into a cheaper car - the Cayman springs to mind - and offer you one that's fully spec'd and one of the first off the line. There shouldn't be problems as most of what's in the Cayman has been in the 987 and 997 for over a year.

As you will have read that car will be hot!
Old 03-23-2005 | 12:09 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jboyko
Well, it's 6 months, 7000 miles, with 51 cumulative days out of service for various large and small problems, and Porsche wants to deal, to keep me in the car for the last 24 months.
jb

It sounds like a lemon to me....if you are out in the market for a new porsche would you even consider a car written off as a lemon. I think i'll get a different 997s for the same lease terms as your initial terms.

Disclosure: That is if you are pathetic like me and can't be porscheless..on the other hand if a porsche is the same as a honda for you, dump it and get a honda for god sake...
Old 03-23-2005 | 12:16 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

FL997's advice sounds pretty good.

What happens if you fight it more? It could result in less of a resolution, right? Also, do you think that you are out of the woods with this car yet mechanically?

Unfortunately we do not have enough details here to make a very wise decision. Let us know what you decide?
Old 03-23-2005 | 12:32 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

I'd get out of it in a heartbeat. And I like the suggestion above about having Porsche get you into another Porsche because that is going to be where they can do whatever they want to do and therefore give you the best deal.
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:35 PM
19_hole
Racer

I would get them to replace it with a similar, if not exact, car. I would also try to get them to do the new deal at dealer invoice. This should be about $10K below sticker.
Old 03-23-2005 | 03:29 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

I would try to get out of this particular car's lease. 51 consecutive days in the shop is way too long in my book for any new car. Even if they fix it, I bet your mind will be playing tricks with you for the next 24 months, and keep you wondering whether the car will be OK for the long run or end up in the shop again. That seriously kills any enjoyment out of the car!.

I like 19_hole's suggestions.

Best of luck!
Old 03-23-2005 | 03:53 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

One of my previous cars was a Lincoln LS, the 1st yr they made them, initially ran very nice, then developed the nasty little habit of a complete electrical shutdown on the freeway at night. Quite a feeling to be going 70mph at night to suddenly find yourself in pitch blackness. That happened three times. Couldn't wait to get out of that lease.
A lemon is a lemon, whether it's a ford or a porsche.

Quick Reply: What would it take to keep you in this Porsche