Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB improved handling becuase of wieght ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005 | 01:41 PM
Sobe
Pro

Default PCCB improved handling becuase of wieght ?

"RS Magazine" (french) where they tested the convertible 997 with PCCB and then the convertible 997 S with standard brakes...... the journalist concluded that he would give up the extra 30 HP to have the PCCB ! The handling seemed to be so much better because of the loss of weight and much less over-steering. So there much improved handling also with these brakes ... I guess the best would be to have both especially if it improves handling .
Old 03-08-2005 | 04:51 PM
Ronnie
Instructor

GT Purely Porsche magazine in the UK did a similar test with the coupes and concluded that they'd go for a low spec 997 with PCCB over a standard 997S (both work out a similar price).
Old 03-09-2005 | 03:07 AM
AW
Pro

I have switched from PCCB to steel with my GT2. I cannot feel any difference about how the car handles. However, I can feel a difference in acceleration. PCCB rotors are about 50% lighter.

The oversteer data point is in my opinion not credible.

AW
Old 03-09-2005 | 09:15 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Porsche claim better handling through the lower unsprung weight. Other "experts" have noticed the difference.

A while back I drove two 996TT's back to back, one had PCCBS (1st generation) the other steel discs. You could feel a difference in the way the car rode bumps and also how quickly it seemed to start changing direction in a corner. I can only presume that since the brakes were the only variable that the difference was down to PCCB's.

The oversteer comment makes no sense. Understeer maybe, but not oversteer.

Quick Reply: PCCB improved handling becuase of wieght ?