Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 TT will have 500hp stock

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do we not hear of tons of 400+hp corvettes, and ferraris spinning off the road into a tree as we hear of GT2?
I doubt the average skill of owners of these cars is any higher than the man who got a GT2? Is the GT2 really that much more tail-happy oversteerring?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:53 AM
kcl211
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo spikes can cause unexpected power surges, which makes it more dangerous and unpredictable. I dont back the "facts" up because I simply have no clue. But I would be able to understand why there would be more mishaps with a RWD turbo car without any form of traction control... And do you really know how to drive? sometimes even awesome drivers lose control, especially given such harsh conditions.. good drivers know that to take a car to it's limit is a very thin line between making the turn and crashing. The better the driver you are, the closer you can take your car to the limit.. Are you even that good? lol
Old 03-15-2005, 04:14 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob 97 993c2
Why do we not hear of tons of 400+hp corvettes, and ferraris spinning off the road into a tree as we hear of GT2?
I doubt the average skill of owners of these cars is any higher than the man who got a GT2? Is the GT2 really that much more tail-happy oversteerring?
Lots of money = big ego = internet forum bragging = minimal driving skills/talent = crash

BTW , if you ever come to Los Angeles make sure to visit Premier Motorsport if you want to see a large collection of crashed Ferraris in various stages of repair .
Old 03-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Mikey
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob 97 993c2

When a $200K+ car goes off the road it's big news. When a pile of junk Corvette goes off the road it's not news. It takes a lot of skill to drive a GT3 at the limit .. just imagine an extra 70hp + 300lbs more weight on the tail end + nonlinear turbo response would add to the equation.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:03 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Rob 97 wrote:

"Why do we not hear of tons of 400+hp corvettes, and ferraris spinning off the road into a tree as we hear of GT2?
I doubt the average skill of owners of these cars is any higher than the man who got a GT2? Is the GT2 really that much more tail-happy oversteerring?"

It's because all those cars you mentioned, Ferraris and Corvettes all have Traction Control or some kind of stability management system. Although you can disable it on these vehicles it is NEVER completely disabled - there is always some type of safety net STILL engaged in ANY car that has PSM or TC, it really never shuts off.

The ONLY cars that I know of today in regular production that have 400 plus hp WITH absolutely no drivers aids, ie TC, PSM, and whatever you want to call it is the GT2 and the GT3.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:53 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
It's because all those cars you mentioned, Ferraris and Corvettes all have Traction Control or some kind of stability management system. Although you can disable it on these vehicles it is NEVER completely disabled - there is always some type of safety net STILL engaged in ANY car that has PSM or TC, it really never shuts off.

The ONLY cars that I know of today in regular production that have 400 plus hp WITH absolutely no drivers aids, ie TC, PSM, and whatever you want to call it is the GT2 and the GT3.
GT2 and GT3 have electronic throttle control and mechanical LSD. What they lack is yaw control- combined with rear engine and you have a nice combo for the classic 911 rear leading the front as you go off the road.

Corvette has three levels of control - switchable from cockpit button. Yaw plus traction ; yaw only ( for tire burning at the strip and learning at the track ) ; full off for the track. Porsche's PSM yaw control on Turbo and C2 can never be turned off completely- it reactivates when you brake , even if button is " off".

Quick Reply: 997 TT will have 500hp stock