Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

System Fault Return To Workshop.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default System Fault Return To Workshop.

I washed my new 997 S with a 12/04 build date and immediately after starting the car, the "System Fault, Return To Workshop" is now on. The car has a whole 99 miles on it.

I searched the archives and found a post from OSSI that says:

" they need to replace the front latch solenoids/actuators (NOT ONLY the latch assembly) the original solenoids have leaky seals for most of the early production cars due to a bad lot of these solenoids."

Does anyone know if replacing the above parts solves the problem? I called my closest dealer, who is 2 hours away, and they hadnt heard of this particular problem. I need to take my car to them, is it ok to drive it the 100 miles to their shop? My car also wouldnt qualify as an early production car.

Is there anyone that has had this problem and had it permanently repaired?
Doe you have the part numbers for the parts involved?

I am also wondering if a pattern is developing for a specific time frame that the cars with this problem were built within.
Would it be a good idea to start a dedicated thread for this issue that would track build dates and what it took to resolve the issue?
Old 03-06-2005, 04:47 PM
paul997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same message on my 997. Picked up last week and drove straight home with 245 kilometers and parked for 1 week. Filled up with gas today and visited 2 people, turning off once, went a total of 10 k. Message came up after I started a 2nd time. I am 200 k. from my dealer. Does the computer clear itself or is it manditory to return to shop? Does roadside cover this?
Old 03-06-2005, 05:15 PM
stinky
Instructor

I called my closest dealer, who is 2 hours away, and they hadnt heard of this particular problem.
History shows that members of this forum are way ahead of the dealers in terms of issues with their cars. Email them the thread.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:27 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Damn Computers !

Tell the dealer to send the tech to your house with the solenoids!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:47 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See Post #36 (Page 3) of the thread on this forum about "Spare Tire for 997?". Below is a quote from Richard of Colorado regarding the problem you are facing.

"gradyex & All Others Concerned,

Rest assured that the "return to workshop message" malfunction has been isolated & can be easily repaired. It is associated with a bad solenoid connected to the internal emergency trunk release as eventually found & repaired on Skip's former 997S, now owned by Porsche. This was determined by the master mechanic at the dealership from which I purchased my vehicle, here in Colorado."
Old 03-07-2005, 01:28 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Same thing happened to me. Had the car flat bedded to the dealer. At that time they couldn't figure it out. Never happened again. It's probably OK to drive and your best bet is making it to the dealer so that you can get a rental. Othewise it'll involve someone giving you a ride to pick it up.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Brian E
Instructor

I just got off the phone with my dealer.
They said they checked with Porsche about the problem and Porsche said they have no knowledge of this issue.
Now they want me to flatbed the car to them for evaluation.
Does anyone know if I can clear the code myself and remove the System Fault ?
I can live with it until the weather gets nicer and then I will get it fixed.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:40 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian E
I just got off the phone with my dealer.
They said they checked with Porsche about the problem and Porsche said they have no knowledge of this issue.
Now they want me to flatbed the car to them for evaluation.
Does anyone know if I can clear the code myself and remove the System Fault ?
I can live with it until the weather gets nicer and then I will get it fixed.
Huh? This is nearly a pandemic issue that has cost PCNA at least one lemon buy back already. Your dealership is not being forthright IMHO. Check with another dealership if you can. It HAS been isolated to the front latch mechanism apparently following car washes. If your dealership still maintains a lack of knowledge, please refer them to rennlist and rennteam.

Good luck!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:02 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by alin2
Huh? This is nearly a pandemic issue that has cost PCNA at least one lemon buy back already. Your dealership is not being forthright IMHO.
Oh great, here we go again!

I'd tell them you ___KNOW___ what's going on with your frickin car from internet chat and tell them they have one hour to find out what's going on for themselves.

I'm just guessing that they're probably getting stonewalled by some low-level contact they have at Porsche.

I got my fingers crossed for you!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:02 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Pls tell your dealer that the world knows about this problem....including Porsche. My dealer knew all about it and made the replaced the neccessary parts. That said, you can have your dealer call mine: Porsche of Fairfield, tel. 203-367-3700 and the service department will explain. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 779 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian E
I washed my new 997 S with a 12/04 build date and immediately after starting the car, the "System Fault, Return To Workshop" is now on. The car has a whole 99 miles on it . . .

I am also wondering if a pattern is developing for a specific time frame that the cars with this problem were built within.
Would it be a good idea to start a dedicated thread for this issue that would track build dates and what it took to resolve the issue?
12-16-04 build. 1 month old, 1300 miles. Washed by hand 5 times. Through touch-free automatic wash 2 times. Never had this message. However, I've never opened either the front hood or the engine compartment while the car was still wet.

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera (Arctic Silver/Black)
Old 03-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Update:
I had another conversation with my nearest dealer.
The car is going to be flat beded to them when I get back from my business trip.
He still contends there is no information available about this issue from Porsche.
I have described the problem to them in great detail
I told him about this forum and the priceless information I have gained from all of you.
He has asked me to e-mail him the link to this website.
They have been very accomadating and courteous. I have confidence that they will remedy the problem in a timely manner.
I am also asking them to do a 4 wheel alignment on the car while it is in their shop.
I would still be very grateful if anyone who has had their car repaired could send me a list of the actual part numbers that it takes to complete the repair.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:39 AM
DD694
Instructor

Brian E:

I suggest you send and email or PM to "Richard in Colorado" regarding the solution to your problem.
Go to the post referenced below and click on "Richard in Colorado" 's name. Click on Public Profile. You can then either email or PM him.
See Post #36 (Page 3) of the thread on this forum about "Spare Tire for 997?". Below is a quote from Richard of Colorado regarding the problem you are facing.

"gradyex & All Others Concerned,

Rest assured that the "return to workshop message" malfunction has been isolated & can be easily repaired. It is associated with a bad solenoid connected to the internal emergency trunk release as eventually found & repaired on Skip's former 997S, now owned by Porsche. This was determined by the master mechanic at the dealership from which I purchased my vehicle, here in Colorado."
Old 03-08-2005, 02:38 AM
ossi
Track Day

ok, i was quiet for a while, but i have to jump in here.

since i am one of the unfortunate suckers who had the pleasure of dealing with this first, here is some info:

the actual issue is/are leaky seals on the front latch solenoids/actuators, period. these are made by some company in "czech republic" and are also used on VW phaeton's, which had the same issues. there was one or more bad lot's of them at the beginning of the 997 production cycle and there where several 100 cars affected by this (not sure if these where all 997's). some of these actuators may have made it all the way into early 2005 997cars.

as with all modern cars, dealers don't get paid well for long hours of investigation, so they like to "just" exchange modules and parts in bulk. the problem with this specific problem is that the leaky seals cause a short, which then upsets the front control module frimware, which in turn, sends all kind of garbadge across the CAN2. so, the leaky seals leads to all kinds of error messages in all sorts of modules across the CAN 2. when the dealer hooks up the PWIS, they go bazurk, and think they have to exchange all kinds of things. they did so in serval cases including mine.

none of the module swaps helps, as the seals are still leaking next time moisture or water is present. the ONE and ONLY solution to this problem is: to exchange the 2 (two) actuators/solenoids that are operating the front latch, period. the latch assembly itself doesn't need to be replaced, but can, doesn't matter.

the sad part about this is that porsche never issued a TI (technical information sheet?) on this issue. so most dealers don't know about it. however, if they call porsche front desk in atlanta, they should be familiar with this issue.

if any of you have trouble getting their dealer to get their act together on this: call charlie at beverly hills porsche service. he is the shop foreman there and is ontop of this issue as he has fixed several cars. he is the man!

good luck!
-r
Old 03-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Brian E
Instructor

I have e-mailed this thread to my service manager.
OSSI, JCF7, thank you for your dealer information.
I have asked my dealer to contact one or both of your dealers. I am hoping to get my dealer to order the parts before I send them my car. Does anyone know if the latch solenoids are readily available?
My dealer is very surprised with the detailed knowledge I have about this issue.
I sing the praises of Rennlist to whomever will listen!

Quick Reply: System Fault Return To Workshop.