Sponsored by:

System Fault Return To Workshop.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 12:14 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian E
My dealer is very surprised with the detailed knowledge I have about this issue.
I sing the praises of Rennlist to whomever will listen!
Internet is amazing. My friend's mother got EXTREMELY sick in the hospital from the side effects of her antibiotics. He stayed up all night on the internet, found pivotal information and next day TOLD THE DRs what they were doing wrong! They changed their strategy and she got well. True story! Unbelieveable.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:24 PM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

This may help you. Porsche will pay for an aglinement with in the first 2 or3,000 miles of ownership.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:29 PM
ossi
Track Day

Originally Posted by Brian E
Does anyone know if the latch solenoids are readily available?
atlanta stocks them, ever since they are aware of the problem. 1day, and the parts should be whereever you are. just one note: don't let them mess arround with anything under the dashboard, just have them exchange the solenoids on the front latch ("Bugverrigelung"). as said before, the PWIS messages are misleading.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:05 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OSSI:

Thanks for clarifying this issue with such precision. I was merely passing own second-hand (or even third-hand) information which seemed suitable. Your first-hand report is far more valuable, and clearly more accurate. I have been wondering what happened with your car. I assume it has been put right and you still have it. is this correct?

Again, thanks for the clarification of this issue. I feel much better about the prospects of repair should this error message appear on my dash.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:58 PM
ossi
Track Day

DD694,

yes, they finally fixed my car, after 7 (seven) workshop visits (not all the same dealership). it has been fine ever since. the part that really freaked me out was how simple the problem and the fix was. the policy, only to exchange modules, instead of investigating, which most car-companies follow now, is the cause of such long suffereing i and others have encountered.

my car is great now, everything works and i have ~8000mls on it now. i am thinking of selling it tho. i am kind of bored with it. which brings me to my question: what would be the best way to sell a 997S, ~8000mls, pristine condition? ebay? any suggestion welcome.

details:
997 S Seal
Black full leather
electric sport seats
bose
nav
CDC

anoyone interested? this one, for sure, does NOT have leaky seals! :-)
(located in SoCal)

-r
Old 03-08-2005, 09:04 PM
DD694
Instructor

OSSI:

Thanks for the additionsl details on the resolution to your problem. I guess anything to keep the labor content of warranty work down is employed, even when it does not resolve the problem. I am very glad to know that this problem has been isolated and resolved.

What might you get in place of the 997S?
Old 03-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Pyroproblem
Intermediate

Default Interesting! Thanks for sharing

I work at a dealer as a tech and I have not heard of this problem. Porsche does not seem to release info like this unless like thousands of vehicles are affected.....I have found it true since Ive been here that you guys know more than dealerhips about some things...
Sometimes it is VERY hard for us as technicians to find the root of a problem... It may take us more than 1 attempt to completely rectify it ...We try our best using what resources we have and sometimes it takes someone at the top of the Porsche ladder to "let us in on the secret"...
On behalf of porsche techs,We apologize for your issues youve experienced...

While were on the subject Ive been trying to diagnose the cause of this"Brake fluid level low" message on the cluster.Ive tried 3 or 4 different things and no-one at Porsche seems to be able to help.(Im convinced its a software issue)

On the bright side though, Have you thought about those "Big Bore" and "Stroker" kits companies are making? Something like 4.5L and 470 HP?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:57 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ossi
ok, i was quiet for a while, but i have to jump in here.

since i am one of the unfortunate suckers who had the pleasure of dealing with this first, here is some info:

the actual issue is/are leaky seals on the front latch solenoids/actuators, period. these are made by some company in "czech republic" and are also used on VW phaeton's, which had the same issues. there was one or more bad lot's of them at the beginning of the 997 production cycle and there where several 100 cars affected by this (not sure if these where all 997's). some of these actuators may have made it all the way into early 2005 997cars.

as with all modern cars, dealers don't get paid well for long hours of investigation, so they like to "just" exchange modules and parts in bulk. the problem with this specific problem is that the leaky seals cause a short, which then upsets the front control module frimware, which in turn, sends all kind of garbadge across the CAN2. so, the leaky seals leads to all kinds of error messages in all sorts of modules across the CAN 2. when the dealer hooks up the PWIS, they go bazurk, and think they have to exchange all kinds of things. they did so in serval cases including mine.

none of the module swaps helps, as the seals are still leaking next time moisture or water is present. the ONE and ONLY solution to this problem is: to exchange the 2 (two) actuators/solenoids that are operating the front latch, period. the latch assembly itself doesn't need to be replaced, but can, doesn't matter.

the sad part about this is that porsche never issued a TI (technical information sheet?) on this issue. so most dealers don't know about it. however, if they call porsche front desk in atlanta, they should be familiar with this issue.

if any of you have trouble getting their dealer to get their act together on this: call charlie at beverly hills porsche service. he is the shop foreman there and is ontop of this issue as he has fixed several cars. he is the man!

good luck!
-r
Does the new actuator have an updated seal? If that were the case then it should have a new part with a superceding part number. Can anyone with PET access see what the part number for the front latch actuator is?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:05 AM
ossi
Track Day

Originally Posted by PTEC
Does the new actuator have an updated seal? If that were the case then it should have a new part with a superceding part number. Can anyone with PET access see what the part number for the front latch actuator is?
as far as i know, this was a tolerance issue bteween the front seal and the center body - and the relpacement parts have the same PET #. but that may have changed.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:43 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I posted before I had this same "fault message, return to workshop" several weeks back and from what I can tell the first attempt to fix the problem worked. My dealership replaced the front hood latch assembly and the trunk entrapment solinoid. Here are the parts numbers on my invoice: (1)#996-624-119-01 = front trunk entrapment and, (2) #997-610-105-04 (next to it under description reads): SS 99761010505. Please note: The first part ends in 04 and the replaced part ends in 05. This could be a completely new part or just a manufacturing date. My car is a 2005 997S, October 6th completed production date . After about a week a module arrived from Porsche which my dealership requested and because this module had a different part # from the original one on my car, we decided to replace the front module also, however, this may not be necessary as the first fix did the trick (so far). I cannot find the part number for the module looking at my invoice for repair but its possible that it may be one of the above #'s under the wrong description (not likely but please correct this if you can provide a clearer description). Bottom line: Sonnen Porsche of Mill Valley CA apparently fixed the problem and is on top of this. Contact Nick Ramponi at the service dept if you have any questions. 1-415-380-8000. FYI: I have since driven my car in a 2 hour heavy rain downpour and no gremlins to date.

Last edited by gradyex; 03-10-2005 at 03:28 AM. Reason: wrong part description #
Old 03-21-2005, 05:58 PM
vann
8th Gear

Hi Brian,

I just got the same message after I wash my car too. I will bring my car to my dealer in tomorrow. Did you ever got your car fixed.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My car is at the dealer.
I am hoping for a successfull resolution by the end of the week.
I was able to talk to the master tech working on my car. He was very surprised to see the wide array of faults showing in my system. He said he would have had a heck of a time trying to determine that the latch solenoids were the problem. I told him I owed it all to the Rennlist members!
They are having to send a download of my System Fault to Atlanta for evaluation before the solenoids will be relaesed for my car.
I am waiting to hear what Atlanta's response is.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:28 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

I feel for you guys...That is frustrating and a royal pain in the ***!

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2005, 04:02 AM
jfraser
Instructor

Brian
Didn't realise you were having this problem aswell.....If your tech wants some further clarification regarding the parts etc. Call Mario on the number I listed on the Rennteam post I left. Basically, the switch manufacturer was stingy with the sealant they used on the part (it's white and kind of looks like the stuff around a bathtub...The 'updated' part has more sealant on it.
What occurs is that water gets into the front latch and seeps into the switch...It causes a short and hence trips a bunch of system fault errors.....which is why your tech gets a list of problems......It's really simple to fix (they could probably do it while you wait)
Good Luck
Jason
Old 03-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

UPDATE:

The delaership called yesterday. Atlanta has advised the replacement of the following parts, 996-624-119-01 actuator, 997-511-053-00 lower lock & 997-511-117-00 actuator.

The 996-624-119-01 actuator seems to be one of the same part numbers being replaced on other cars, but the 997-511-053-00 lower lock & 997-511-117-00 actuator are different part numbers than what others have had replaced. Any one have any idea why? I asked the dealer about it and they are using the parts Atlanta tells them too.

They did finish the four wheel alignment and said that they never saw one this out of spec. Only (1) setting was in the green. Car has 118 miles on it.

Dealer is great so far. I will update when the car returns home.

Quick Reply: System Fault Return To Workshop.