Sponsored by:

depreciation of the new 997 and997s

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 12:32 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question depreciation of the new 997 and997s

what do guys think 997 and 997s prices will do in the used market the next 2-4 years....always hard to predict....
Old 03-02-2005, 12:50 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

I am looking into my crystal ball and seeing values go DOWN..................
Old 03-02-2005, 12:52 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brings up a good point, Edmunds.com has five Doctors of Mathmatics specializing in regression analysis on staff to figure that out for all vehicles, but heres the catch... Edmunds.com has done nothing for the Porsche 997. They haven't published any Consumer Ratings, which all of you guys should consider submitting, they haven't researched invoice cost or figured True Market Value.

This is just another weird event in this surreal plane were a the 997 C2S can be called the "...best sports car in the world for under $100,000" and then come in third.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by scycle2020
what do guys think 997 and 997s prices will do in the used market the next 2-4 years....always hard to predict....
It is not difficult to predict. Just look at what happened to the 996. Plan on substantial depreciation for at least the first two years. Then it will level off but by then Porsche will introduce the updated greatest 997 and the downward spiral will continue.

In addition, the company is not noted for protect owner value. They have become a mass producing car company introducing new models almost yearly. This year it is the Cayman and in Sept they will announce the development of the sedan.

Many say buying a Porsche is not an investment and one should just enjoy it. Others, who work hard for their money and value the dollar say "WTF?"

Because of the poor resale value of Porsche's, I have longed maintained that it is the most expensive sport car on the planet.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:50 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it under 10,000 miles the first year and trade it in while its still worth something! Really, all cars will depreciate, as will the 997. Just enjoy!
Old 03-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Bodhi
Advanced

If you're worried about depreciation, hedge your bet with a lease.

At the end of the term, you've paid for a fixed amount of depreciation. If the car is worth less than the residual, give it back to the dealer. If it's worth more, sell it and reduce the effective cost of your lease.

Also you can see what the residuals the financers are calling for in the lease contracts for different terms to gain a sense of predicted depreciation.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:51 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nick
It is not difficult to predict. Just look at what happened to the 996. Plan on substantial depreciation for at least the first two years. Then it will level off but by then Porsche will introduce the updated greatest 997 and the downward spiral will continue.

In addition, the company is not noted for protect owner value. They have become a mass producing car company introducing new models almost yearly. This year it is the Cayman and in Sept they will announce the development of the sedan.

Many say buying a Porsche is not an investment and one should just enjoy it. Others, who work hard for their money and value the dollar say "WTF?"

Because of the poor resale value of Porsche's, I have longed maintained that it is the most expensive sport car on the planet.

Absolutely correct. I agree 100% ..................Certainly, if you are looking at a lesser depreciation value look to the older air cooled models like the 993.

Cheers
Old 03-02-2005, 05:04 PM
TerryR
Intermediate

I looked at 996 prices and they sure do seem to have drop like rocks. The 996 was very controversial because of it's looks and all the parts it shared with the Boxster, many didn't like it.

I hope the 997 with is obvious model differences and somewhat more classic looks will hold up a bit better but I'm not betting on it.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

As others have said, look at 996 values. My guess is that the 997 will hold value a bit better due to more features per dollar, what is a more universally appealing design inside and out, and an eventual raise in price due to the weak dollar.

Leasing is an option to hedge (as others mention), and Porsche Financial does have attractive money factors. However, unlike what somebody else mentioned, residual values aren't necessarily an indication of projected residual value; it is an amount calculated by the financial institution to maximize profit.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:45 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I think 997 lease residuals are similar to what they were on 996's. That doesn't mean they are right, but at least its some indication of what leasing companies are betting on. I turned my wife's Land Cruiser back to the leasing company and they took a big hit on it (was worth substantially below the residual). I found someone to take over the lease on my Boxster S because its value was also far below the residual. (I am not leasing now.)

In any event, I think the residual on 997's after 4 years is about 51% of MSRP, and not quite as sure but after 3 years I think its about 59%. That should at least be a reasonable guess at what they will be worth. I'd say big first year hit and then 8-10K per year for a few years, would be about right.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

PFS residuals for a base 997 were 59% for 36 months at 12k/year last time I looked. That would be about $45k for a car with some options after three years. A look at AutoTrader.com will show that a 2002 996 coupe cannot be realistically bought for $45k; average asking price is closer to $60k nationally for a coupe. Nick and wormdoggy, that's darn good resale.

To further my point regarding residual values being an inaccurate measure of future value, note that PFS has significantly lower residuals for the 997S vs the base 997. This is a direct result of current supply/demand, not a prediction it will be worth less over time.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 03-02-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:40 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 914 Likes on 509 Posts

dealer used car sales practices (on all model cars) ensure that trade in values are pitiful, but when you try and buy that same car as "pre-owned" off the dealer lots - the prices aren't so good. dealers make tons of money selling pre-owned cars, the trade-in values are depressed accordingly. and buying an expensive pre-owned car from a private party is risky, people would rather buy from the dealer because of the warranty. that exaggerates the trade-in/pre-owned sales price spread even more on cars like this.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nyca
...buying an expensive pre-owned car from a private party is risky, people would rather buy from the dealer because of the warranty. that exaggerates the trade-in/pre-owned sales price spread even more on cars like this...
I strongly disagree. Most enthusiasts would rather buy a used sports car from an original owner from whom they can obtain original records and documents, discuss driving habits, maintenance, and other history of the car, and will pay a premium for it.

Just about every "Certified" used car has run through an auction, has had paintwork, and very few come with any history. It's the mainstream buyers of SUVs, Camrys, Accords, etc. that are oblivious and/or don't care about this and are instead focused on the extended warranty (often with fine print, I might add).
Old 03-02-2005, 11:55 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
PFS residuals for a base 997 were 59% for 36 months at 12k/year last time I looked. That would be about $45k for a car with some options after three years. A look at AutoTrader.com will show that a 2002 996 coupe cannot be realistically bought for $45k; average asking price is closer to $60k nationally for a coupe. Nick and wormdoggy, that's darn good resale.

To further my point regarding residual values being an inaccurate measure of future value, note that PFS has significantly lower residuals for the 997S vs the base 997. This is a direct result of current supply/demand, not a prediction it will be worth less over time.
a great point, the residual values for leases are just made up for dealer profit...its not the true resale value...great example with the 02 coupes....i was looking for 02 911s recently...asking 60k, selling for 55-57k,a big difference from 45k!!!...i doubt a 4 year 997s will sell in the low to mid 40k range, if it does, i am there!!!!..01 911 go for around 50k.....also,if you buy a 2-3 year model, they reach a bottom, then only go down with increasing high mileage...
Old 03-03-2005, 04:27 AM
Robbo 66
Intermediate

I actually think that the 911 is subject to the LEAST depreciation of all the supposed super/sport cars on the market. It will however get worse as the Porsche brand gets ever more diluted with higher productivity and model derivatives now a necessary evil if Porsche are to make decent returns.
If you buy a 911 from new you will lose £12,000 in the first year. Without fail. I've had 5 and this has been the case for each, worsening over the latter years as volumes have increased. Thw worst was the 996TT, I expected that, but nothing compares to the Ferrari 360.....£ 16,000 depreciation alone in 8 months.

The whole market is 'shagged' as they say over here. Look at the Gallardo, or the 575M. These Ferraris cost £ 175,000 new and are selling 6 months later with 2000 miles for just north of £ 100,000.

Porsche rank in Europe in the top 3 for value, losing as I say approx £ 1,000 per month. If any supercar can be considered good value, the 911 still is......for now.

Last edited by Robbo 66; 03-03-2005 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: depreciation of the new 997 and997s