Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Shifter...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 02:24 PM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea Gary, the 997 was so new I can’t imagine that my shifter wasn’t for a 996 (which I agree was the exact same as the Porsche OEM 996 shifter)…Just for clarification, I do prefer the Porsche OEM short shifter in my 997 and I’m not going back to the B&M…My original concern was for BD997 who is getting ready to install a B&M short shift kit and was concerned that he might run into the same problem I had.

C4S, I apologize for coming across the table…I probably read into the burst your bubble thing from your post. It seems as though I always end up debating the B&M/996/OEM/997 thing when ever the short shifter subject comes up on a 997. They are definitely different in this particular case. I too read the article in Pano and was elated to find out how much Porsche depends on subcontractors…
Old 03-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by VB997
Yea Gary, the 997 was so new I can’t imagine that my shifter wasn’t for a 996 (which I agree was the exact same as the Porsche OEM 996 shifter)…Just for clarification, I do prefer the Porsche OEM short shifter in my 997 and I’m not going back to the B&M…My original concern was for BD997 who is getting ready to install a B&M short shift kit and was concerned that he might run into the same problem I had.
Thanks VB.. i'm curious about the "new" B&M shifter if it indeed IS new. If its the one you installed i'm going to go with OEM also.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:50 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
....Porsche outsources alot of work on their cars. In the last Panorama mag (Porsche publication), they listed about a 100 different manufactures that they use for various parts, from all over the globe.
Of course, it’s common knowledge that major manufacturers outsource many of the components that go into the final product. We do the same, but we clearly state the specifications on a Source Control Drawing that the part must conform to. In many cases we do all the design, especially on critical components, and just have certified suppliers build it to print. I’m sure Porsche does the same.

As for the cost of materials, it is actually cheaper to use machined metallic parts for low volume production. The cost of molds and dies for molded parts can run into the hundreds of thousands and would not be cost-effective for low volume.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:19 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I can't help but post a few comments about the different shifters available for the 997 as there's been a lot of confusion over the manufactuer of the OEM short shifter and the comparisons between the B&M unit and the stock OEM option. I have experience with all 3 997 shifters (including the standard stock shifter that came with the 997S I purchased last November). I have also spoken with Porsche of North America and my dealer regarding these units. Please refer to the photos below. First of all B&M to the best of my knowledge is not the manufacturer of the optional OEM short shifter for the 997. If it were, then they designed an entirely different shifter for Porsche as opposed to the stand alone unit offered on their website (check out the part # in one of the photos). Please note: This may not be the case for the 996! My Conclusions: get the Porsche OEM short shifter as (1) On the 997 there seems to be an issue with the B&M unit downshifting from 5th to 4th (I would occasionally have to "look" for 4th and attack the shift at an angle). Others have had problems with different gears. Just because this unit is the same unit that 996 owners used with no problems (as a matter of fact most prefer the B&M) doesn't mean that 997 owners are going to share the same view. Until the 997 B&M shifter is refined stick with the stock OEM Porsche short shifter. (2) Installing the B&M shifter on the 997 according to Porsche of North America could compromise any warranty issues down the road if the "claim" at stake involved or pointed to the shifter cables themselves. Now, I don't know what that means myself but why would you take that risk? The stock OEM short shift is a little better than the standard one and the feel is more precise. Finally, (3) if it were not for the glitches in the B&M unit or the warranty issues, the B&M is a hell of a lot funner to use (and much shorter throw) especially if you'll be tracking the car. If I had to live with one for the rest of my life and could only choose one, it would be the OEM Short shifter offered from Porsche (a bit better than stock but not by much). IMHO Enjoy the attachments.
Attached Images     
Old 03-03-2005, 12:30 AM
gradyex
Racer

Sorry I forgot to label the photos so from top to bottom: (1) B&M ****er + stock shifter resting along side it. (2) part # for B&M and model descriptions. (3) Optional Porsche OEM Short Shifter currently installed on my car and (4) B&M shifter (please note: you only get the actual shifter, not the complete plastic housing unit). My dealer installed the OEM unit which does include the plastic housing and costs a bit more. Haven't deceided if I will sell the B&M unit complete with housing yet (it should work fine for a 996 or Boxter).
Old 03-03-2005, 12:42 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

FWIW, I don't think BM has anything to do with the 997 ssk. I also replaced my perfectly good BM ssk with a porsche ssk bc my dealer scared me with that warranty crap, they actually have a memo about aftermarket shifters. Remember, the 996 tranny is a non-sevice item, if you break it, must replace the whole thing, 8k. Although Chadd may know of a company that is starting to work on those trannies. The 997 has a completely different tranny(japanese made), I don't know anything about it.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:07 PM
texas911
Race Car

I'll only add that I love the round ball shaped **** on the 997. Vastly superior to the amorphic **** on the 996 and the round disc-like **** on the 993. Feels really really good.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter...