Sponsored by:

Need V1 hardwire help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:45 AM
BD997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need V1 hardwire help!!!

Ok I just ordered a V1 with remote...now I plan on placing the V1 unit on passenger Visor and run the wire down to either the cig lighter or eventually the fuse box...my question is this - how do I run the wire clean all the way down from the visor to the floor...tuck in the wire along the roof and side of door? There has to be someone out there who has done a clean hardwire from roof to floor....thanks guys!
Old 02-28-2005, 07:54 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm not sure if our 997's are the same, but if you search there are many threads in the 996 forum re hardwires. I'm still trying to figure out how to do mine. Not even sure I will use my remote at this point. I temporarily have the V1 mounted on the windshield with the suction cups (holds well), just above and to the left of the rear view mirror. I started to put it on the passenger visor, but I was concerned whether the passenger seat would block rear reception. Assuming I don't figure out where to put the remote, I'll probably leave the V1 where I have it now, but will hard wire it. If you don't use the remote, I think the easiest way to power it is to pull switched power from the overhead lights, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. But if you use the remote, I think you have to run wires from both the unit and remote to the supplied power unit.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:44 PM
BD997
Racer

I got this post on rennteam earlier...hope it helps "Just remove the light panel up top (it's in the user's manual relating to manually operating the sunroof) and tap into one of the map lights (the mulicolored line is the power) and ground it to a bolt in the center using the VI hardwire kit. You'll find that the light is switched so the power goes off when the lights dim when you lock the car. The harder part was fitting the VI converter into the space up top. To do that, I slightly backed off the screws holding the headliner in underneath the plastic housing, fit it above the headliner, and screwed the screws down again."
Old 02-28-2005, 11:18 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

BD997: Sounds like you already did the install - would love to see some pics. Where did you put the remote?
Old 02-28-2005, 11:36 PM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

Originally Posted by jcnesq
BD997: Sounds like you already did the install - would love to see some pics. Where did you put the remote?
I too would love to see some pics as well. I think the remote's a waste of space in a car with few stashing places. I have a V1 on order & I also wish to do a neat install.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:18 PM
VS1
Intermediate

I did my V1 installation earlier today. Did it a bit differently than described above. My DIY is as follows.

Mount the V1 on the L side of the rear view mirror running power from the fuse panel. Then tuck the power cord into the headliner over to the drivers A pillar. Tuck between the A pillar and windshield and then very carefully tuck between the A pillar and dashboard to the door hinge area. The cord fits very nicely under the weatherstripping on down to the carpet by the fuse panel. Remove the fuse panel cover, then the 3 screws holding the carpet in place, then the surrounding carpet. Using a blade fuse tap - tap a switched fuse [I tapped the tiptronic control fuse which is unused in my car (6-speed)]. Take a foot of 18 guage wire and crimp a 90 degree - 0.250" female connector to one end and splice the other end to the power line of the hardwire module [you may be able to eliminate this step - I'm not sure the extra length is required]. Connect the connector to the fuse tap. Find a suitable place to run the ground wire to [I ran it to the screw behind the throttle because it was easy and convenient]. Plug in the phone cord from the V1 unit to the appropriate jack. Sit in the drivers seat and mount the concealed display so that it is normally visible between the steering wheel and the cruise control stalk. Connect the phone/power cord and fish the wire under the steering column. Plug into the V1 hardwire module. Test the connections by putting the key in. Once the key hits the stop in the ignition - the unit and concealed display should power up [with the PCM and everything else]. Pull the key out and everything should power down. Wire tie the power cord from the concealed display up and out of the way under the dash [I tied it to the footwell lighting wiring harness]. Tuck all the wires and control module under the carpeting, replace the fuse panel carpet surround and the fuse panel cover.

I tucked the control module under the carpet in the space just to the right of the dead pedal. Then tucked the rest of the wiring behind the carpet or the fuse panel carpet.

Below are the pictures. The first should be the V1 mounted on the windshield. The second is the concealed display. Third is a shot of the fuse panel with the tap and the ground behind the throttle. The V1 control module is behind the carpet where noted and all wiring is behind the carpet or up under the dash [except where you see the ground]. Finally, a shot of the drivers footwell as a finished installation.
Attached Images     

Last edited by VS1; 03-01-2005 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Need V1 hardwire help!!!