42.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

oil change in first 2000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 04:15 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

With 2700 miles on it, the oil level was fine and the dealer suggested an oil change at 7500, instead of the manuel's 20,000. He stated that to change earlier than 7500 did not make sense, due to the use of synthetic oil.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
For a total of $80, but the filter from Porsche, get the oil from Walmart or other retailer and go to Jiffy Lube or other oil change place. Give them $20 and your done.
You can't be serious about this on a $90K car...I would recommend AGAINST the piecemeal parts/ Jiffy Lube labor route.

I had been taking my BMW E34 M5 to the local quickie-lube because one fellow there was good, conscientious and loved the M5.....that is, UNTIL his 17 year- old trainee (under my competent guy's tutelage-- so I wasn't worried) forgot to replace my oil fill cap!!
I noticed some louder-than-usual intake noises while ambling around the block two minutes later, popped the bonnet and there was my fill cap still parked on the fusebox cover. OUCH

Also thinking of resale time, stammering through an explanation about the carefully preserved combo Porsche Parts counter/Jiffy Lube invoice, in support of my claim of having 'pampered' the 997S...ugh.

Originally Posted by jcf7
With 2700 miles on it, the oil level was fine and the dealer suggested an oil change at 7500, instead of the manuel's 20,000. He stated that to change earlier than 7500 did not make sense, due to the use of synthetic oil.
Now THAT sounds like a common sense solution. Dumb OT question: if transmissions have magnetic particulate collectors for metal fragments and shavings, why not the same for engine crankcases?
Old 03-01-2005, 12:35 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stan523
You can't be serious about this on a $90K car...I would recommend AGAINST the piecemeal parts/ Jiffy Lube labor route.

I had been taking my BMW E34 M5 to the local quickie-lube because one fellow there was good, conscientious and loved the M5.....that is, UNTIL his 17 year- old trainee (under my competent guy's tutelage-- so I wasn't worried) forgot to replace my oil fill cap!!
I noticed some louder-than-usual intake noises while ambling around the block two minutes later, popped the bonnet and there was my fill cap still parked on the fusebox cover. OUCH

Also thinking of resale time, stammering through an explanation about the carefully preserved combo Porsche Parts counter/Jiffy Lube invoice, in support of my claim of having 'pampered' the 997S...ugh.

Now THAT sounds like a common sense solution. Dumb OT question: if transmissions have magnetic particulate collectors for metal fragments and shavings, why not the same for engine crankcases?

Your mistake for not going over the car afterwards. No difference in changing oil on a Porsche than a $10,000 car. I always watch.

Quick Reply: oil change in first 2000 miles