Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone Grey & Other Light Colored Interiors

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005 | 05:05 PM
OCBen
Banned

Default Stone Grey & Other Light Colored Interiors

Anyone here have any particular problems keeping a light-colored interior clean, especially the leather on the steering wheel and the shifter? Since these areas accumulate dirt and grime more than others from all the constant handling, the accumulation is likely to be more noticeable on lighter interiors than on darker ones. I really like the look of Stone Grey but I’m wondering if I’ll have to always scrub my hands (ala Howard Hughes) each time I get behind the wheel (or always wear a clean pair of driving gloves). God forbid I would ever have to take the car in to get it serviced and have some grease monkey get behind the wheel! If I decide to opt for Stone Grey, I’m already planning out how I would go about prepping the car before that dreaded day to the service center – plastic covers taped in place for the steering wheel, shifter, brake handle, arm rests, what else? I’ll give the service center the benefit of the doubt and assume they’ll use seat covers and paper floor mats. Can anybody here shed some light on the care and maintenance of a light-colored interior?
Old 02-17-2005 | 05:35 PM
VS1
Intermediate

I have the stone grey and it's much darker than the previous Porsche grey [galaxy, I believe]. In fact, I wouldn't necessarily classify it as a light color - more a medium color. Now, that car doesn't have enough wear to tell - but our Lexus LX470 has about 25,000 miles of hard use on the light grey interior [between the baby who likes to throw her sippy cup around the car and our dog] and that interior is in great shape.

I find the floor mats take the most abuse in lighter interiors [which is why I have a set of blue mats in addition to the grey for the 997]. I had originally planned on going black/black for the 911 - but saw a Boxster in Midnight on Grey and thought it was a stunning combination - so I went with it - and no regrets. I really like the way the Stone Grey goes with the silver/grey plastic trim pieces. If you are considering Stone Grey, I recommend it, but it seems from your sig - you've already decided on Black.
Old 02-17-2005 | 07:33 PM
OCBen
Banned

VS1: Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. My order has not been processed yet. Still waiting for the May allocations to be distributed, but I'm first on the list for a May production. So I still have time to change my mind.

On Monday I happened to stop by the dealership and they had a Seal Grey/ Stone Grey 997 on the lot. I was so impressed by how luxurious, and by that I mean expensive-looking, the Stone Grey interior looked. Yeah, and the way the aluminum-look trim pieces complement the color. I thought it looked just awesome.

So whereabouts in Ohio are you? I'm originally from the Cleveland area.
Old 02-17-2005 | 07:55 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I'll never get a light-colored interior again. Even with constant maintenance, it shows dinge and dirt over a short period of time. Perhaps because I drive with the windows and/or sunroof open most of the time...regardless, it's black interiors (with a windshield shade if parked in the sun) only for me.
Old 02-17-2005 | 08:03 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'll never get a light-colored interior again. Even with constant maintenance, it shows dinge and dirt over a short period of time. Perhaps because I drive with the windows and/or sunroof open most of the time...regardless, it's black interiors (with a windshield shade if parked in the sun) only for me.
Agreed. Now a black exterior makes up for a hassle free interior
Old 02-17-2005 | 08:22 PM
VS1
Intermediate

OCBen - I'm from SW Ohio [Dayton]. I was up in Cleveland Monday for some meetings. The business district part of downtown has really come a long way over the past several years.

Good luck with your decision. To give you something else to noodle on, have you seen Seal Grey on Blue? Great color combo and would also take care of your lighter interior concerns without going with a generic black interior. If you want a very rich looking interior - Cocoa is my vote.
Old 02-17-2005 | 08:34 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

I had graphite grey full leather on my Boxster S, which I drove daily for 3 years, usually top down all the time. It did have some tendency to show scuffs and dirt, though it could normally be cleaned up fine. My wife's 04 Cayenne S had the havannah brown (light tan), and she complained a lot about keeping that clean (one of her many silly reasons for conning me into trading it for an 05 Cayenne S (with black interior). Stone grey is NOT a light color, its almost black. I don't think you'll have any problems with it.
Old 02-17-2005 | 09:53 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Although I have a 996 ('04 C4S Cab) it is the same color I had on my '99 - Savanna full leather. Not a problem at all. Daily driver. Sure, it gets a little dirt here and there, but I keep it clean, and treat the leather every 6 months or so with Lexol cleaner, then conditioner. Holds up very well.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-18-2005 | 01:55 AM
OCBen
Banned

VS1: I used to work at Wright-Patt before moving out to California. Yeah, Cleveland sure has changed - for the better. It's about time.

That's a great suggestion: Seal Grey w/ Sea Blue interior. I'll have to look into that. I wonder if anyone here has pics of such a combo, or at least of the Sea Blue interior. Sure would like to see them.
Old 02-18-2005 | 02:06 AM
OCBen
Banned

Plug Guy Eric: Hey, I'm one of your customers. A happy one at that. You provided excellent customer service for me at one time. I had ordered black plugs for my Boxster and when one of them turned out to be a little loose you immediately sent me another pair without hesitation. I was impressed. Hope you're keeping up the good customer service.

So the Lexol is able to really do a good job cleaning grime off the leather? Then I suppose you follow that with a conditioner. Do you recommend a brand? So you're able to stay on top of it and keep your steering wheel really clean and free of smudges, eh? Good deal. Nothing like keeping a car looking like new all the time. Good to hear from you.
Old 02-18-2005 | 10:47 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Ben, thanks.

Yes, I use Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner. The key is applying it properly. Throw out the rags. Use your hands and massage the conditioner into the leather. Let sit about 3-5 minutes, then buff. Works well if I do it on a Saturday, leave it til Monday, then go.

Cleaner is only used where needed. You can take warm, soapy (mild) water and a soft cloth to rub down the leather once in a while too, just be sure to use the conditioner afterwards.

And I only do this every 6 months or so. Do it more often, and you'll tend to get buildup. Do it not often enough, and your leather may get a bit dry and cracked earlier than planned.
Old 02-18-2005 | 12:49 PM
MMD
Banned

Exclamation Black is good to hide interior.

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Agreed. Now a black exterior makes up for a hassle free interior
Personally I think the current interior styling is not exactly gorgeous. Especially the center console which reminds me of an SUV. The dash and instrument cluster are fine, but door panels look very busy. Other numerous details (e.g., trim between transitions, SC "wart", side panels of front center console) "clutter" the overall flow.

IOW, making the interior black, to downplay the "flaws" is probably a good decision.

just my opinion.
Old 02-18-2005 | 12:59 PM
VS1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OCBen
VS1: I used to work at Wright-Patt before moving out to California. Yeah, Cleveland sure has changed - for the better. It's about time.

That's a great suggestion: Seal Grey w/ Sea Blue interior. I'll have to look into that. I wonder if anyone here has pics of such a combo, or at least of the Sea Blue interior. Sure would like to see them.
First, we're in the federal contracting space - so we do a lot of work at Wright-Patterson.

I've always loved the blue interior in Porsches - but we have two other cars that are metallic grey and one that is silver - so I didn't want to go a route on the exterior with this one that would allow for a blue interior [so, I basically reversed it]. Our dealer has a seal grey on blue Boxster coming in that I know of - but I don't think it'll be here for a few more weeks.
Old 02-18-2005 | 01:57 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

I have a seal gray on order. I've seen the seal with the gray, and it is beautiful.
having said that I'm coning out of a graphite gray 996, and my wifes last and current car was gray
I'm grayed out..so it's black for me.
probably back to gray in 2010
Old 02-19-2005 | 03:09 PM
OCBen
Banned

VS1:
What color is the console on a Stone Grey interior? The car I saw had the center console painted the exterior color - Seal Grey. I'm not too fond of that look. Seems it'll get scratched easily and eventually lose its unique look. Is your console the same color as your leather or slightly darker?

Quick Reply: Stone Grey & Other Light Colored Interiors