Sponsored by:

What is this made of?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 10:00 AM
stewart999
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this made of?

Unfortunately, tar off the road appears to have been thrown off my wheels onto the bodywork of my car. Although this has been readily polished off of the paintowrk, it will not come off of the rear arch wheel plastic protection or the lower parts of the side sills.

Have tried everything to remove the stains from the car with no avail. Porsche say that stains can penetrate their protective film and that the rear arch protector will need to be replaced. I forgot to ask them what the side sills were made of. Is this also covered with a 3M protective layer. I have shown a picture below to show where I mean.

Does anyone know whether this is plastic film or whether it is enamelled bodywork?
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2005, 10:21 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used wax to remove rubber after tracking and goo gone for road stuff.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:17 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks as if the tar stained and seaped into the rubberized protectant. You may want to find out who manufactures this product for Porsche and see if there is a way to lift it off or bleach it out in some way. Seeing as the surface is rough, as an inexpensive fix you could get some body paint and dab it on to the problem areas to mask it. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Quick Reply: What is this made of?