997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono, Power Seats... Upsell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005 | 01:38 AM
sactogreg
Intermediate

Default Sport Chrono, Power Seats... Upsell?

Sorry guys, I'm still in the ordering (read: asking) process and have not started to contribute anything to this forum yet...

That being said, there are two options that I'm considering for my new 997 C2 and want to know if they are for real or gimmicks/upsell:

Background: price is a factor, though not overriding. I don't care about resale. I will drive the car to work occasionally, probably autocross, and do local PCNA track events.
      Old 02-14-2005 | 01:47 AM
      alin2
      Burning Brakes

Sport chrono is a must have. It turns the 997 into a pseudo GT3. Awesome for the increased throttle sensitivity and sport settings on the suspension.

FWIW, the adaptive sport seats are the MOST comfortable sport seats I have ever had. I have always found the seat bolstering too confining and the side bolstering too wide. Now, the adaptive seats can change the bolstering to precisely fit your body...Incredible.
      Old 02-14-2005 | 10:19 AM
      rss997
      Three Wheelin'

Sport chrono is a must...it really makes the car seem quicker....

If you get any sport seat get the adaptive. My old sport seats sucked as to broad shoulders etc...At least the adaptive you can move around and are great.

That said I like my base seats the best in 997, very comfortable and good enough in my opinion.
      Old 02-14-2005 | 10:53 AM
      PV
      Pro

I was struggling with that chrono package myself. Didn't see the benefits of the PASM just like that at that moment, so I had three choices:

1. Nothing

2. Sports Chrono

3. Everything

I went for option 2 and like it. The "normal" ride is good and you have the option to switch on a stiffer option. The throttle response is the great part of it. Don't worry about the acceleration per se, as they just re-mapped the throttle, but the moment you take your foot of the throttle which makes the difference. So faster shifting and a more agile motor behavior as a result. The stop clock is OK, but not necessary. I hope in the future they make that part an option instead of a given. I like it, but can see that some people don't care about it too. Also the note that it is not only the change of ride, there are a few more options to set with the chrono package.

You need to check with somebody who has everything, so you can compare better.
      Old 02-14-2005 | 11:02 AM
      Gary R.
      Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sactogreg
        It's a very noticable difference. The stopwatch seems to me to be very awkward to actually use but maybe with practice it will be more natural.

Originally Posted by sactogreg
          The best thing you can do is sit in all the available types of seats and see what works for you. For me, the manual Sport seats fit my frame perfectly (6' 200lb).

Old 02-14-2005 | 11:44 AM
          Weissy
          Instructor

Sport chrono is a must must must get! The car is a totally different animal with it. Plus I like to tighten up the suspension on my way to work during high speed highway driving. (I am on the road at 6:00 am) If you skip it and drive one with it, it will keep you up for nights for months to come. I also have the adaptive sport seats and love them. They are comfortable as anything I have ever sat in and for that occasional spirited Sunday morning drive it is great to be able to lock yourself into the seat with the adjustable bolsters. In the same light it is great to deflate them for that 45 minute drive to the office when they just aren't needed.
          Old 02-14-2005 | 12:11 PM
          Robbo 66
          Intermediate

Sports Chrono....the 'wart' on the dash.

I decided against it, just doesn't do it form me...too 'need for speed' and more than a little tacky. A stop watch on the dash !!!it will also offer your potential purchaser when the time comes to sell that you could well have at best thrashed the car or at worst tracked it. The police can also tell if you have indeed broken the speed limit from the memory function...proof right there.

Imagine the secenario, picked up a classy first date, with emphasis on classy, when she asks ' whats that for ?' pointing at the 'wart'.
          How do you think your gonna look....whatever you say you'll look infantile and in an instant any tiny smattering of coolness will be gone for good, along with your chances.

Think 'cool', leave the 'wart', go for the short shifter....it's a 911, leave the shouting to the Ferrari boys.
          Old 02-14-2005 | 12:19 PM
          Le Chef
          Three Wheelin'

Two things:

1) Sport Chrono apart from changing throttle sensitivity loosens up PSM which allows you to slide the back of the car more, before "Please Save Me" steps in to help. You can also alter a number of other car settings like "follow me home" lighting with Sport Chrono using the PCM screen. The Wart is actually the smallest part of what Sport Chrono does. But note it doesn't make the car any faster: it just feels faster.

2) In the 997, as opposed to the 997S, the Sport Chrono has absolutely no effect on the suspension, unless that car is fitted with PASM.
          Old 02-14-2005 | 12:21 PM
          Le Chef
          Three Wheelin'

"it will also offer your potential purchaser when the time comes to sell that you could well have at best thrashed the car or at worst tracked it. The police can also tell if you have indeed broken the speed limit from the memory function...proof right there"

They can do that right out of the DME regardless of whether Sport Chrono is fitted or not. Check the posts about PCNA not honoring warranty because they could tell the guy had tracked his car...
          Old 02-14-2005 | 12:32 PM
          Weissy
          Instructor

I really think the car feels so much better with the sport chrono. When I am driving thru town with it on and shut it off with my foot on the gas there is a very noticeable lurch as the car slows down. I know it doesn't make the car faster but it makes it allot more fun to drive. You are looking at a very expensive car here, spend the extra money and get one of the best options the car has to offer. You also get used to the wart very fast. I disagree that it makes the car any less classy. If anything if you jump into someone’s car that doesn't have it you immediately know they didn't pony up the cash for the package. Plus you will use it here and there. I use it on my way to work sometimes for fun to see if I can get there faster then my usual commute time. There is no practical use for it but when you activate the sport button you will be really happy you got it. Just makes the car more fun to drive. Try and find someone who has it and ask them if they could do it again would they order the car with out it. My guess is you won't find many if any at all.

With regards to the cops checking your PCM for speed data.... That is pure nonsense. What are they going to do????? Open your instruction manual and read thru 20 pages of junk to pry thru your PCM on the side of the highway??? Come on I am not even sure that is legal.....
          Old 02-14-2005 | 01:15 PM
          Robbo 66
          Intermediate

Hi Weissy,
          OPC in the UK stated to me that they have had concerns re the police checking from their clients. I'm not saying it would definately happen, but clients have not ordered it for that reason.

But that's not the main reason for ommitting the 'wart' from my option list. IMO it DOES make the car less classy. Pure and simple. But each to his own, and if your worried about a guy thinking you hadn't 'ponied up' for the 'wart' and then thinking your tight then that's plain shallow. If you thought that little of the guy he should have been catching a bus anyhow.

Cheers,
          Robbo
          Old 02-14-2005 | 01:27 PM
          Gary R.
          Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robbo 66
          Sports Chrono....the 'wart' on the dash.

I decided against it, just doesn't do it form me...too 'need for speed' and more than a little tacky. A stop watch on the dash !!!it will also offer your potential purchaser when the time comes to sell that you could well have at best thrashed the car or at worst tracked it. The police can also tell if you have indeed broken the speed limit from the memory function...proof right there.

Imagine the secenario, picked up a classy first date, with emphasis on classy, when she asks ' whats that for ?' pointing at the 'wart'.
          How do you think your gonna look....whatever you say you'll look infantile and in an instant any tiny smattering of coolness will be gone for good, along with your chances.

Think 'cool', leave the 'wart', go for the short shifter....it's a 911, leave the shouting to the Ferrari boys.
          While I agree that the dash stopwatch isn't well done it sounds like you think that's all the Sport option gives you, which is way off base. The option adds immensely to the car (for the relatively low initial cost), and anyone that has it or has spoken to anyone with it would buy that car WELL before buying one without it (used).

BTW, "classy dates" don't point..
          Old 02-14-2005 | 01:40 PM
          Weissy
          Instructor

I don't know to each his own I guess. I do not see how it takes any class away from the car. But again it is a great feature and one not to pass up. If I could order this option minus the stop watch I would in a second but the benefits of the package far out way the ugly stopwatch witch you will get used to. Enjoy your car weather you get it or not.
          Old 02-14-2005 | 02:05 PM
          Robbo 66
          Intermediate

I agree, without the 'wart' I'd have ticked the box. why they couldn't directly link the improved dynamics/responses on the C2s to the 'sport' button, we'll never know.
          The 'wart' however remains about as appealing as any 'wood' interior option....hideous.
          Old 02-14-2005 | 06:51 PM
          jcnesq
          Miserable Old Bastard
          Rennlist Member

I HIGHLY recommend the adaptive sport seats - that option includes the power seat functions, so the extra cost is not as much as it appears at first blush. I also like the power seat option, especially for the memory functions since I have a hard time getting the seats just right and once I do, I hate it when someone changes the settings. Not sure about the sport chrono without PASM, but if it was an option in the S I wouldn't buy the car without it.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono, Power Seats... Upsell?