Sponsored by:

Homelink programming problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts
Default Homelink programming problems?

Anyone else who's had trouble programming the homelink buttons? Can't seem to get mine to accept a Craftsman garage door opener code. I've tried the directions for both the fixed code and the rolling code, but no go. Interestingly, when holding the garage door remote, the fog lights would flash, which is supposed to mean the buttons accepted the program.

Tips, suggestions welcome.

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera (Arctic Silver/Black)
Old 02-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Anyone else who's had trouble programming the homelink buttons? Can't seem to get mine to accept a Craftsman garage door opener code. I've tried the directions for both the fixed code and the rolling code, but no go. Interestingly, when holding the garage door remote, the fog lights would flash, which is supposed to mean the buttons accepted the program.

Tips, suggestions welcome.

YoungTurk
I don't have the Craftsman but on mine you had to hit a button in the unit itself and when IT started blinking I could run the Porsche procedure and all worked fine..

Try it!
The following users liked this post:
srb1194 (08-03-2023)
Old 02-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Weissy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same exact thing happened with mine. What I did was hold the homlink button down until it started to blink. Then I held down the red program button on my garage door opener. My garage door opener blinked twice as usually to say it was in program mode. Then I held down the homelink button for about 5 seconds and the garage door opener blinked again say it accepted it. From there on out it has worked just fine. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

Contact HomeLink tech support.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

Okay - called Homelink Tech Support (Thanks Robert) and got it to work. Here's what i did:

1) Press and hold buttons 1 & 3 (2 outside buttons).
2) Release when small amber light next to buttons flashes rapidly.
3) Press and release button you wish to program. Amber light should flash slowly, about once every second.
4) Take your remote to the front of the car, as described in the 911 owners' manual, and press and hold button until fog lights flash 3 times.
5) Go back inside car and verify that the amber light is neither flashing nor solid.
6) Press and release the "learn" or "smart" button on the garage door opener. Important - don't press and hold, just press and release. There should be a light just above and smart button and it should light up and stay lit solid.
7) Go back to the 911 and press and hold for about 3 seconds the button you're trying to program. You may need to do that about 2 or 3 times.

The button should then open/close your garage door - it did for mine.

YoungTurk
Xenons
19" Carrera S wheels
Nav
Bose
CD changer
Heated seats
Power seat package
Sport steering wheel

Thna
The following 3 users liked this post by Patriot:
ExileOnMainSt (10-23-2022), mrcarrera (01-01-2024), porsche20022006 (03-30-2020)
Old 02-13-2005, 02:42 PM
VS1
Intermediate

I programmed mine last night no problems - followed the steps above - save #6 & #7 [ours is not a rolling code]
Old 02-13-2005, 02:45 PM
muhri
AutoX

Young Turk, congrats man - Mine still does not work with my Genie Max Pro garage door opener. The Genie dealer says its the remote but we tried a different type of remote and it still did not help.. Can't call Home Link support as I'm not in the states and I dont think they'll support anyone outside the states.

Trending Topics

Old 09-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Scanman
1st Gear

What worked for my 981 Cayman: Teach the car following the Porsche owner's manual. Then, use the learn button on the garage door opener to have to car teach the opener.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:21 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Scanman
What worked for my 981 Cayman: Teach the car following the Porsche owner's manual. Then, use the learn button on the garage door opener to have to car teach the opener.
Just follow the steps outlined in the owner's manual - I've done it on 3-997.1's and 1-997.2 - worked every time.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:52 PM
golftime
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Turk, support's instructions worked perfectly for me with one minor exception. After programming the car (Step#5), I had my wife briefly hold the button in the car while I simultaneously pushed the button on the back of my opener. They seemed to sync instantly.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:46 PM
ted997.1
4th Gear

Old post- but Ive been trying/failing/raging for a couple weeks- this process finally got it working for me- THANK YOU!
Old 04-02-2022, 10:58 PM
nitin24
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

I was able to pair my remote to the car, but I had to buy one of these to get the car to pair with the opener:

The following users liked this post:
Edgy01 (04-03-2022)
Old 08-01-2023, 01:11 AM
funnelofdoom
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

I've done some research and the reason 997.1 (and likely 997.2) cars cannot work with modern liftmaster and chamberlain openers is because they have a new rolling code system called Security+2.0 (all 997s only work with Security+). The 2.0 standard was released on 8/2012. It's easy to find out which your home uses by looking at the learn button on your opener motor unit. All security+2.0 openers use a yellow learn button. Our cars only work with the older orange and purple button openers.

I do have a solution that I successfully installed today. You simply need to purchase a homelink module off of a more modern Porsche (and probably Audi/VW though I am not positive). I noticed the pinout on the modules are identical and the sizes are as well. The units go for between $25-$50 on eBay. If you do go this route, simply buy one for a car (doesn't have to be a 911) made after 2017 or so just to be safe. I bought one off a 2018 Macan and after connecting it up, I was able to get the car programmed in 10 seconds. Worked like a charm on my very new Liftmaster opener.

Liftmaster Info:
https://www.garaga.com/information/f...master-offered

Homelink module I purchased (sorry it's an eBay link so this will expire)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155288432638

The install required removing my front right wheel, undoing the left side of bumper cover (sorry should've said passenger/right side), and replacing module which is simply clipped into a bracket. IMO, this beats using one of those repeater kits because those essentially erase all the security measures and makes your garage opener susceptible to very simple attacks. The range on those is also TERRIBLE. I had another old car that I used one of those with and it simply did not work until your car was right in front of the garage door. I also love super clean and proper fixes, not workarounds.

Last edited by funnelofdoom; 08-01-2023 at 03:46 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by funnelofdoom:
emjohn43 (09-07-2023), Evan2023 (Yesterday), fourthirteen (08-01-2023), LucV (08-02-2023), SpectreH (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 11:29 AM
fourthirteen
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by funnelofdoom
I've done some research and the reason 997.1 (and likely 997.2) cars cannot work with modern liftmaster and chamberlain openers is because they have a new rolling code system called Security+2.0 (all 997s only work with Security+). The 2.0 standard was released on 8/2012. It's easy to find out which your home uses by looking at the learn button on your opener motor unit. All security+2.0 openers use a yellow learn button. Our cars only work with the older orange and purple button openers.

I do have a solution that I successfully installed today. You simply need to purchase a homelink module off of a more modern Porsche (and probably Audi/VW though I am not positive). I noticed the pinout on the modules are identical and the sizes are as well. The units go for between $25-$50 on eBay. If you do go this route, simply buy one for a car (doesn't have to be a 911) made after 2017 or so just to be safe. I bought one off a 2018 Macan and after connecting it up, I was able to get the car programmed in 10 seconds. Worked like a charm on my very new Liftmaster opener.

Liftmaster Info:
https://www.garaga.com/information/f...master-offered

Homelink module I purchased (sorry it's an eBay link so this will expire)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155288432638

The install required removing my front right wheel, undoing the left side of bumper cover, and replacing module which is simply clipped into a bracket. IMO, this beats using one of those repeater kits because those essentially erase all the security measures and makes your garage opener susceptible to very simple attacks. The range on those is also TERRIBLE. I had another old car that I used one of those with and it simply did not work until your car was right in front of the garage door. I also love super clean and proper fixes, not workarounds.
Thanks so much for this info. I had to install a repeater on my Chamberlain opener to get it to work with my 2008 997. May install new module now.
Old 08-02-2023, 11:36 PM
LucV
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by funnelofdoom
The install required removing my front right wheel, undoing the left side of bumper cover (sorry should've said passenger/right side), and replacing module which is simply clipped into a bracket.
Do you mean this part but on the passenger side?

Thanks for the follow-up. I've tried using the repeater kit but couldn't get it to work.

Last edited by LucV; 08-02-2023 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Homelink programming problems?