Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt-on Horsepower -- What's the best bang for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 03:27 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JLJ
... are you high or kidding? .... im sorry but you are missing the point...
Sorry JLJ, but I was the one who started this thread and the one who stated THE POINT. And it was very simple actually.... "Who makes aftermarket power boosters for the 997S?" ... It was a very simple question. Either you know the answer, and you chime in. Or, if you don't know, then don't turn this into a debate on the merits of having more horsepower. If you wish to discuss that topic, then I suggest you start your own thread with that in mind. But don't criticize those who are interested in buying something that doesn't affect you... If you were interested, say, in a 64bit processor and wanted to know who had the best deals out there, you wouldn't expect someone to tell you to stick with your 32bit processor, that you don't really need more power, would you? Now if you were to ask if it was worth moving up to the 64bit processor, then that would be a whole different matter.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:36 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OC Ben,
What people are telling you (albeit not in the most straight-forward way), is that short of a forced induction approach (SC or turbo), OR a very major engine re-working, there really aren't any tuner approaches out there that will get you more than negligible performance increases. Therefore, the responses to "use what you got", because realistically it's not going to get any better.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Neil@Orton
Banned

Caf this is not quite true.I think you would notice a increase of 50Hp and this is achieved without major engine work
Old 02-06-2005, 04:00 PM
OCBen
Banned

Well Neil, pray tell what it consists of. I'm dying to know.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Neil@Orton
Banned

Full exhaust system,Intake manifold (Carbon) airbox& Filter,ECU,
Old 02-06-2005, 04:05 PM
JLJ

Originally Posted by OCBen
Sorry JLJ, but I was the one who started this thread and the one who stated THE POINT. And it was very simple actually.... "Who makes aftermarket power boosters for the 997S?" ... It was a very simple question. Either you know the answer, and you chime in. Or, if you don't know, then don't turn this into a debate on the merits of having more horsepower. If you wish to discuss that topic, then I suggest you start your own thread with that in mind. But don't criticize those who are interested in buying something that doesn't affect you... If you were interested, say, in a 64bit processor and wanted to know who had the best deals out there, you wouldn't expect someone to tell you to stick with your 32bit processor, that you don't really need more power, would you? Now if you were to ask if it was worth moving up to the 64bit processor, then that would be a whole different matter.
Fair enough. Then do www.ortonusa.com
Old 02-06-2005, 04:12 PM
OCBen
Banned

Thanks JLJ. I'll check them out and give them a call.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

Neil, how can I get more information such as pricing? Can you provide a link?
Old 02-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Neil@Orton
Banned

Ben Give me a call on Monday or shoot me an email.The kit has only just been released and is not on the website jet.
This is a link to a dyno sheet

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...&highlight=psi
Old 02-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fair enough but a GT3 is unlikely to have an RMS failure. Pay your money and take your chances.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:56 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

These engines are pretty maxed out from the factory, doubt you can get any real gains from bolt on stuff, remember these hp claims are not cummulative. You may change intake(airbox), exhaust, chip and only add 5hp, what's the point of that. Now if your car didn't come with exhaust for instance and you want to add aftermarket /louder mufflers, that's a different story. 80% of porsche owners drive their cars at 20% of their potential.
At the end of the PDE, the instructors took us out on 'hot laps', unbelievable what those cars are capable of out of the box. There was a TTx50 owner in our group who actually crapped in his pants after a ride with Hurley Haywood, messy.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:55 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Neil@Orton
Caf this is not quite true.I think you would notice a increase of 50Hp and this is achieved without major engine work
That would be truly amazing--way, way, way beyond what anyone has been able to do on the motor in the past (at least when independently tested).
Old 02-07-2005, 01:00 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Neil@Orton
Ben Give me a call on Monday or shoot me an email.The kit has only just been released and is not on the website yet.
This is a link to a dyno sheet

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...&highlight=psi
Thanks a lot Neil. That's exactly what I'm interested in. 403 hp out of the 3.8L? Yeah I'll be in touch. Those are really impressive gains. Do you know if that intake manifold has polished ports?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so 403hp is 316 at the wheels? My 964 puts out 290rwhp (modified)....and it was converted to 340hp at flywheel mainly due to the ambient temp of 42degC in the dyno room.....If my calcs are correct, you are factoring a 27% tranny loss.....could that be right? What does a stock 997S put out at the wheels...?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:40 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Christer
so 403hp is 316 at the wheels? ... What does a stock 997S put out at the wheels...?
That assumes a 78% efficiency through the drivetrain, which seems low for a rear wheel drive vehicle with a manual transmission. The manual tranny should have a much higher efficiency through the gear train alone. At any rate, I think what Neil is saying is that whatever power output the 997S puts out (355hp as rated by Porsche) their power kit will add 48hp to that.

Quick Reply: Bolt-on Horsepower -- What's the best bang for the buck?