Sponsored by:

GT silver VS. Artic silver

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Skidmark
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT silver VS. Artic silver

Has anyone seen GT silver and Artic silver next to each other? I have a 997S on order with GT silver but it is not due to be delivered until June of 05. I have found a Artic silver 997S with similar options that is sitting at dealer. Does GT silver look that much better to warrent me to wait until June? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:33 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 570 Likes on 261 Posts

Well, I have to say the GT silver is more "steel" like and darker than the artic. Personally, I think the artic looks a little washed out. The GT silver accentuates the curves a bit better I think. This is coming from someone who has owned only black cars...

I liked GT silver so much that I ordered it for my 997S.

The only Porsche silver I like even better is Polar silver...a blueish silver
Old 01-26-2005, 02:36 PM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Arctic and like it a lot. I would agree that GT is a bit more interesting color but I might be tempted if I could get the car 5 months early.
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (05-12-2020)
Old 01-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Rasta
Racer

GT Silver is a stunning color. Check to see if there is a "Mr. Bonus" on this site. If not, check 6speedonline and search for him in the 997 forum. He has posted pictures of his GT Silver that are absolutely unreal!!
Old 01-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Tina K
Track Day

I have considered this same GT/Arctic dilemma myself, having ultimately decided on Arctic.

GT Silver has a great finish, bit more metalflake making it luminescent even
on cloudy days. But it is only marginally more eye-catching than Arctic Silver. In this newbie's opinion, if GT Silver rates 100, Arctic silver would be 95
(with Olive Green at 50).

You could use the $2400 difference for factory Sport Exhaust (if like me
you are willing to wait for summer delivery)
or Navigation.

Tina
Old 01-26-2005, 03:38 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

The untrained eye would be hard pressed to notice the difference. I would get the artic because you will never recoup the extra $ when reselling it with GT silver.....I guarantee it!!!!

The dealer I got mine from has had a GT silver one on the lot with cocoa interior for 60 days!!! Over optioned car at 88k.. crazy price for a base 997...

Get the artic and start driving it noW
Old 01-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Skytop
Racer

I saw a fellow PCA clubmembers brand new silver 997 S this past Sunday at the Davie Beach, FL autocross. I am not a huge fan of silver but his car was finished in Arctic Silver was very pretty. It is brighter and more 'silver blue' than the more grey toned GT Silver Metallic.

Consider coordinating the exterior silver with a synergistically related interior color instead of just with the Arctic Silver/ (usual) grey or black interior. That combo is played out.

I once had a Jag E type with silver and a blue leather gut. People's eyes would pop out upon seeing it back in the 1970's. So, why not consider an ocean blue interior ... my suggestion.
Skytop
Old 01-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 137 Posts

There was an Artctic w/blue 997 at the LA Auto Show a couple weeks ago (looked good), along with a GT/Cocoa 997S. I could not tell them apart under the bright show lighting; I imagine with a few days of dirt on them in the real world they are nearly impossible to distinguish as well. Certainly not worth the extra money if it were mine.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Speed
Pro

I have an Arctic Silver/Metropol Blue 996 cabriolet and ordered the same combination with my 997S Cab (albeit, the blue they offer is now Sea Blue). I briefly considered the GT Silver but decided the difference wasn't enough to justify the extra cost. I agree with Skytop that the black and grey interiors with silver are played out. I find the blue top/interior combination is distinctive and subtle and I've gotten a lot of compliments on it.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Skidmark: I have GT Silver in my 40th Anniversary edition 996. Here a link to it (although pictures don't do justice to the color) https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/163905-as-promised-pics-of-new-ride.html . Also check for "Mr. Bonus" postings as suggested before. It is quite a stunning color, it has far greater depth than Arctic because of the extra metal flakes. Interesting enough it looks particularly stunning at night under street lights. Now is it worth the extra $$$ and wait? Well that is a personal opinion. If your senses are inspired by sight, yes by all means get the GT Silver, but if they are inspired by sound get the Arctic now and with the extra $$$ you saved get the Sport Exhaust.
Just my "dos centavos".
Old 01-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Skidmark
AutoX

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the Fast40th and MrBonus' posted pictures. They are indeed stunning colors. However, I don't think I can last until June for the delivery. Artic silver one I am thinking about getting does have all the goodies that I wanted except full leather interior. It comes with sports adaptive seat, Boss sound, CD charger, Navigation module, sports chrono package, and sports shifter. Just because it lacks full leather interior, I probably will lease it rather that buy it like I planned with GT silver. I guess I will just buy a 997 c4s cab when this lease is over.
Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:18 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just looked at the chips and GT Silver is a more sparkly metallic. It will look much nicer in the sunlight for example. That's be my pick. However, times a wasting and you never know what can happen between now and June. What the heck, live for the moment and get Arctic now!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Sobe
Pro

GT Silver is in another leauge ..... like a whole different car with this color ... and the more light the car has on it the more spactacular this color is ..
Good color for matching the wheels also ..

Last edited by Sobe; 01-27-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:37 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Silver is to easy to keep clean anyway, go black!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 137 Posts

I agree that the 996 looks dated next to a 997...but if your point was to compare the two silvers, an outdoor photo on an overcast day vs. an indoor shot with a flash hardly makes for a good comparison.

And BTW, Porsche wheels are painted Arctic silver.

Quick Reply: GT silver VS. Artic silver