Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launch Edition C2S Purchase - What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Rasta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OH997
Discounts will vary wildly depending on the dealer’s availability and future allocation. Someone will always be able to tell a story about a better deal. The problem is that you might not be able to have all the circumstances that caused someone else to get a great deal line up for you. I got 7% off my 997 car last July because I placed the first order for my selling dealership. That same dealer will laugh if you ask for 3% today because he doesn't have enough cars. I agree that if you wait a month or so the price will go down. The car could also be sold to someone else and you might not get anything close to the same discount on another vehicle.

The thing that would concern me the least would be the miles. Since you have already said you were only going to keep the car for a couple of years I doubt the break-in will affect you. There are knowledgeable Porsche technicians that claim the 2,000 mile under-4200 RPM notion is bogus anyway. If there were problems, the warranty would protect you.

At the time of resale no one is going to know that the history of the car prior to your purchase. For the matter, if you buy any car second-hand how do you know that the buyer did not abuse it out of recklessness or ignorance regardless on how many miles were on the clock at the time he/she originally bought it?

Good luck!
I appreciate the continued "for" and "against" dialogue on this topic, as it helps me articulate the issues, and clarify my own thinking. At this point, I understand the concerns that the naysayers are noting, but I sort of agree with OH997. While I haven't been fanatical about the search for a C2S - partly because I had somewhat resigned myself to letting the demand / supply situation balance out a bit - I have kept an eye on the market generally. In this vein, I for one, have not seen a deal with an untitled car with 900 miles with close to $9K (or almost 9%) off. I'm sure there are out there (OH997 is case in point), but I would venture to say that many of them had specific circumstances surrounding them, including:

- Early orders
- Unusual color / specs
- (And by far the most common) Strong relationship with dealer

I haven't met - or read about - a lot of people who have come in with no dealer relationships who have managed to secure such deals. I'd LOVE for people to correct me on this. Heck, most of the cars being advertised with a couple thousand miles (1K - 3K) that I've seen out there are being sold by brokers at sticker (although this admittedly the ask).

Additionally, for those that say wait a month because you'll get a higher discount, I guess my response is that there are no assurances that the car will be there.

One final point - albeit an important one: to me, the decision is NOT to buy the aforementioned car vs. a new one as some of you have suggested. It is to buy the aforementioned car NOW, versus waiting for a few more months and then buying an slightly used car (with a few K miles) at a larger discount. I still haven't gotten to the point - emotionally or financially - where I want to jump into a new car, only to see it slide 20 - 25% in value in the first year.

Therefore, while I'm not completely sold on buying the car, I am starting go beyond the initial diligence, and become more serious. These are the central issues, in my mind:

BUY / NO BUY DECISIONS:
- Buy "like new" car now at 9% discount; OR
- Wait for two - three months and see if private party sales appear at relatively better values

ASSUMING I BUY NOW:
- Push for $9K/$9.5K discount (dealer is currently willing to concede at $8.5K)
- Check for clutch wear - more important to me than engine wear at this point
- Argue for an extended warranty to be thrown in

Let me know your thoughts.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:01 PM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably too soon to see many used 997s since most of the cars didn't hit until September. If you find one it will may be on a dealers lot and they will probably only discount the car a couple of thousand from the original list and negotiate from there. It's possible that you will end up with the same deal you have now.

If you push for the 9K+ discount I would ask for something other than an extended warranty since you don't plan to keep the car past the original warranty anyway. Get some cool Porsche accessories tossed in. If you plan to drive in the winter maybe you can get some snows and rims.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Rasta
Racer

Interesting update guys. Since I coordinated with the dealer on Sunday, he noted that the mileage was "approximately" 900 miles. Now that he is back in the office, he has confirmed that the mileage is 1,450 miles. An interesting stat, just playin' with the numbers:

- Total mileage: 1,450 miles
- Car in dealership: approximately 4.75 months
- Therefore, miles per month: 305
- Length of test drive: approximately 15 miles (as indicated by dealer)
- Therefore, test drives per month: 20
- Test drives to date (TDPM x 4.75 mths): 97!!

I know I'm not counting dealer miles, longer drives, etc., but WOW!, that's A LOT of test drives for potential abuse to take place!

Shoot! Now I'm moving from "I like what I'm seeing," to "more questions, more doubts"!!
Old 01-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

Your situation doesn't need to be so over complicated if you want to buy the car "now", as it seems you do. You have two choices, both of which can be accomplished with minimal effort. Either you buy this car for the best deal you can negotiate or you expand your search to include a greater area. If, after visiting as many dealers that you can stomach, you decide this deal is still the best for you then just do it. I just looked quickly at the PNA site and not knowing where exactly you are picked a dealer at random. He has two black/black 997S in stock according to the inventory listed ( http://south-shore.porschedealer.com...h.php?model=99 ). There are a LOT of Porsche dealers listed, obviously NY is a big state so only you will know which are feasible for you.

Bottom line is are you happy with the deal? I could have pressed for a little more myself but felt good about the number so I saved myself some added grief and ended the game. I also intend on keeping this car for quite a while, who knows what I would have done if offered your deal within your parameters..

Its also been stated before that your car has ceramic brakes, which is close to a 9K option. AFAIK they are virtually useless on a road car and extremely expensive to replace. You can pay LIST for a new car w/o them (and exact same specs otherwise) for about the same number.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Your situation doesn't need to be so over complicated if you want to buy the car "now", as it seems you do. You have two choices, both of which can be accomplished with minimal effort. Either you buy this car for the best deal you can negotiate or you expand your search to include a greater area. If, after visiting as many dealers that you can stomach, you decide this deal is still the best for you then just do it. I just looked quickly at the PNA site and not knowing where exactly you are picked a dealer at random. He has two black/black 997S in stock according to the inventory listed ( http://south-shore.porschedealer.com...h.php?model=99 ). There are a LOT of Porsche dealers listed, obviously NY is a big state so only you will know which are feasible for you.

Bottom line is are you happy with the deal? I could have pressed for a little more myself but felt good about the number so I saved myself some added grief and ended the game. I also intend on keeping this car for quite a while, who knows what I would have done if offered your deal within your parameters..

Good luck!
I hear ya Gary, and I think I'm starting to overthink the situation. Bear in mind, as I noted above - that since I'm only going to be keeping the car for a couple of years, that I'd prefer NOT to buy a new one a take a full depreciation hit, even if I got an 4 - 5% off on it.

To simplify, I believe, my options are to:

- Go FOR IT, and negotiate the best deal I can on the current car, OR
- Wait 3 - 6 months, and hope that somebody is looking to get out of the car with a few K miles - somebody who treated the car with some TLC
Old 01-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

I just added another thought about the composite brakes as you were responding.. have you given that any thought? I highy doubt that ceramics will add much to resale, may even be a detriment for the average buyer..
Old 01-24-2005, 07:22 PM
infestation
Instructor

Find another new S without ceramics and just that will save you $8k. Getting $8k off a launch car with ceramics is not a deal. In terms of depreciation, I would still encourage you to locate a really good deal on an S with turbo brakes.

Last edited by infestation; 01-24-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:02 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

I might be wrong, but I think a new 2005 997S without ceramics will be worth the same as a "used" 2005 997S with ceramics when they are both 3 or 4 years old (assuming they are comparably equipped otherwise). Rather than worry about the depreciation, I'd focus on what the car is costing you today.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:08 AM
infestation
Instructor

That sounds quite reasonable, Tom.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

I would steer clear of this one. Spec. a new one at 6K off list & go wth the standard (red) brakes (unless you spend time in the Hamptons & yellow brakes seem a necessity).

Quick Reply: Launch Edition C2S Purchase - What Would You Do?