Sponsored by:

Short Shifter vs. Reg?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 04:47 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Nice clarification

Thanks C4S for the clarification. That explains why we have folks on the board disputing the fact that the 997 sport shifters (OEM vs B&M) are identical (or not). Your explanation makes sense and Friday I will take a peek at the OEM shifter before they install it to see if I will be getting the aluminum sleeves or a completely housed unit for line assembly with the plastic ones. Most folks would probably prefer the smoother factory line model but i would be thrilled to keep the same feel of the short shift (B&M) that I currently have. The photos you posted clearly are proof that B&M is the manufacturer of both products. For the record the one on the left (Blue) is the one I have installed right now. Seems to me that its definitely worth going the OEM route and not have to deal with potential warranty issues down the line. I will post my exeriences after the install this weekend and thanks again for the great photos!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:21 AM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience on this somewhat controversial subject differs…

What you are looking at in this picture are photos I took during the installation and removal of sport/short shifter kits.

Photo 1. The 2005 997 Porsche OEM standard equipment shifter that came from the factory on my 997...

Photo 2. The 2005 997 Porsche OEM Sport Shifter that you can order as an option (option code XCZ) when ordering a new car or purchase through the parts department as an add on...

Photo 3. The B&M Short Shift Kit that I originally installed in my 2005 997. I uninstalled this kit and installed the Porsche OEM sport shifter kit per Porsche part number for my model/model year (2005-997).

The box, instructions and all photographs that came with the B&M shifter were marked 996 but this is what I was shipped when I asked for the B&M for a 997...I changed it because right after I installed the B&M shifter the Porsche OEM part was made available as a parts purchase. I figured that this might be the course of least resistance if a problem occurred with my transmission later on. As it turns out, I like the second to third shift combo better on the Porsche part...In my opinion, the B&M third gear on my car seems to be slightly right of where you want it.

Finally, what I found when doing the shift kit installations was that the Porsche OEM parts were almost exactly the same with the exception of throw travel and color.
The B&M unit is clearly different then the OEM parts used on my car...I hope this doesn't come across as argumentative as that is definitely not my intention, I believe in the importance of comparing notes...
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 997 OEM standard and stock shifters look just like VB997's pictures (2 pix on the left). The center piece where the shifter lever is attached is plastic - not metal. On my 996TT OEM SSK, it was metal, like the B&M piece.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:54 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ray G, right the 996.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:19 PM
gradyex
Racer

Wink OEM Short Shifter installed today

Well folks i'm back to report on the differences of the B&M kit that I installed and the OEM Porsche kit installed by the dealer today. First off the kit looks exactly like VB997's photo in the middle. Its different than B&M's and has the plastic inserts instead of the metal aluminum ones. The OEM Porsche Short Shifter is easier to use, smoother, and would be the one I would reccomend to most if not all Porsche owners that have any type of factory warranty left on their car. That aside, I must admit that I miss the "direct" feel and "shorter shifts" that the B&M transmits. The plastic inserts on the factory OEM shifter make shifting a softer experience albeit very nice (much better than stock). As far as who makes this part I would bet its the same company that makes the stock shifter as the only visable difference is the color of the plastic body (light blue). I must say that the B&M kit is a very high quality unit but might be just too notchy for most. However for track use I would give the B&M a slight edge but for the daily driver stick with the OEM. Just MHO. Cheers!
Old 02-06-2005, 03:36 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very unlikely warranty issues aside, why would we want plastic rather than alum in such a critical component?

I haven't upgraded the 997 yet, bu the change in the 996 was remarkable.

I'm all for getting rid of as much plastic as possible.
Thanks
Jack
Old 02-09-2005, 08:50 PM
gradyex
Racer

Wink

After having the OEM short shifter for almost a week now I can positively say that this unit is the way to go. Its much smother, the gears especially when downshifting from 5th to 4th are easier to work through. With the B&M that particuliar downshift would sometimes have to be approached at a slight angle or it would not engage without a fuss. I didn't really bother to pay much attention when this happened and thought it was "me" but the OEM unit makes this 5th to 4th downshift feel more precise. Also, reverse is easier to get into and its less notchy as is the 1st to 2nd throw or putting it into 1st at a stop light especially when the tranny is cold. The throws are not as short as the B&M so track folks may not agree with me but if I had to choose between the two (street or track) it would be the Porsche OEM 997 Short Shift. I must admit that the "fun factor" on the B&M was nice as the shift action can be best described as "short clicks" with a firmer notch entering the gears. It needs to be perfected more for the 997 IMHO and am sure that B&M has since addressed these. If you like the standard shifter on your 997, you will love the shorter throws that the OEM Short Shifter option gives you and I highly reccomend it when placing your order.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter vs. Reg?