Sponsored by:

Installed Fabspeed Mufflers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 08:33 AM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Fabspeed Mufflers...

I installed the Fabspeed Mufflers on my 997 this weekend and they sound great. I had installed the cold air kit a few weeks ago and had been calling Fabspeed weekly to get an ETA on the mufflers..I called Fabspeed on Thursday just thinking it was one of those "I'll keep busting Joe's chops until I get my mufflers calls" and was taken back by Joe's response..."Done, you'll have them tomorrow" and I did. They went in without any drama and the car sounds great...You can hear the motor enough to know what’s going on and the car really comes alive when you put your foot in it.

If your 997 is your daily driver and your taking a client to lunch you can carry on a conversation. My car is strictly for fun so now I'm calling Joe for the by pass pipes...
Old 01-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 171 Posts

Sheesh, hard to keep up with you!

1. Carnewal Pedals (from your avatar)
2. BOTH B&M and Porsche short throw shifter
3. Fabspeed exhaust

Anything else? I'm installing the pedals, looking at the GHL exhaust (when the 997S piece is out). Any thoughts on comparing the two?

Thanks, keep those updates coming!
Old 01-18-2005, 04:48 PM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Did the Fabspeed cold air kit and Filter...
Old 01-18-2005, 04:54 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

VB, How do you like the airkit, it really woke up my 996 and Joe has some great dyno #'s on your type motor to back it up.
BTW, he's coming out with bypass pipes next!
Chris
Old 01-18-2005, 05:04 PM
VB997
Rennlist Member

The car sounds awesome...Especially when you step on it!

I talked to Joe yesterday about the by pass pipes and he is working through some final issues...should be this week.

Todd from Evolution e-mailed me some pics of his new 997 cold air kit...Evolution manufactured their own air box...I'm going to try one and see which one is better on my car.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2005, 06:21 PM
AndrewSS
Advanced

that evolution air kit seems nicer... i wonder which air kit produces more power, i would assume the evo. since it actually is a new air box and filter...
Old 01-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VB997
Did the Fabspeed cold air kit and Filter...
Nice, was looking at that. I would assume you went with a new K&N filter also? It looks like the Evolution system uses the K&N. I wonder if there any sensors involved in swapping the original out?

Evolution have a website?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:10 PM
VB997
Rennlist Member

I thought it was K&N as well but actually Todd said it was made custom for the Evolution Air Box.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VB997
I thought it was K&N as well but actually Todd said it was made custom for the Evolution Air Box.
Great.. custom = more expensive w/o K&N engineering behind it..
Old 01-18-2005, 08:16 PM
VB997
Rennlist Member

I have the BMC filter on my 997 now with the Fabspeed cold air kit...Looking forward to trying the Evolution setup and seeing if there is much difference.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:25 PM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of them produce any more horsepower from every single post I have read, although they sometimes sound a little better.
I have the Fabspeed on my car and notice nothing, was going to sell it but have been too busy to remove it.
Also....PLEASE buy GHL mufflers, they sponsor our forum and are great guys unlike the rude behavior at Fabspeed.
Thanks.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:06 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

How do you like your pedals? If you don't mind me asking, where did you order them from?
Old 01-19-2005, 01:16 AM
Roadking
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw the EVO airbox today at Todd's shop. Looks awesome. I will be doing the airbox, chip and fabspeed mufflers shortly. Will post seat of the pants results and before and after dyno runs.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:49 AM
VB997
Rennlist Member

SYMA...I agree that the jury is still out on the air box performance results however my car sounds much better.

I only know Joe and the people from Fabspeed from a customer perspective; yes I have heard the "jungle telegraph" on the issues pertaining to Fabspeed...They seem way too personal for me.

I agree that Joe will tell you what he's thinking and could use some work on his customer service skills but I like to form my own opinion of people. My experiences with Fabspeed have been positive...And I don't have thin skin.

I found Fabspeed through Google and didn't know them from a can of paint...My first experience was on the cold air kit and I dealt with Alex. He was very professional and I received good customer service. My second experience was with Joe (for over a thousand dollars) and he was definitely "colorful" but again the experience was good...

I own a service business; I have about fifty employees and somewhere around three thousand customers. Some of our best customers don't want some of my best employees coming back to service their network. These are employees that have worked for me for over twelve years and that I would personally endorse, yet the customer doesn't like them. I can't figure it out. I guess my point is if you own a business, there is always going to be a customer you can't seem to make happy.

When I was finishing up my transaction on the Fabspeed mufflers Joe said if you’re not happy for any reason send me back the mufflers and I'll refund your money. If you are happy post it on rennlist. This is obviously a very powerful forum and maybe Joe has "heard the word" and deserves another chance...Don't read into this, this is just a reference of my experience with Fabspeed. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe the power of this forum accomplished what it was designed to do...

...I heard your word on supporting rennlist and sent in a two year membership, thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:02 PM
mastermind
Advanced

I will agree that Fabspeed has both top-notch products and service.

The first thing I purchased for my 996 when I got it in Oct '03 was a set of both the mufflers (for day to day) and the bypass pipes (for special occasions). 15 months and 20k miles later the mufflers still sound wonderful. Haven't put that many miles on the bypass pipes.... when you let loose with those suckers all hell breaks loose !!! (or at least it sounds like it)

In all my dealings with Fabspeed Joe has been a super cool cat.

Highly recommended.

best,
trev

Quick Reply: Installed Fabspeed Mufflers...