Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS leak on 997!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 10:28 AM
zacharie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know that RMS leak was recurrent for many 996 cars.
Thanks OH997, I know understand that this is more than a problematic for some of our forum members. In that case, I truly hope Porsche engineers find a definite solution to that oil leak from RMS.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:30 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its too early to tell if the 997 will suffer from the issues the 996 had with rear main leaks, but I can tell you for sure, at least one 997 has had it replaced so far.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:10 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

2004 models still are appearing with RMS leaks, and fixed cars have RMS leaks again. The problem is not fixed on the 996 nor 986.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:18 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
There are many places for oil to leak from in any engine. I consider the 997S RMS report a rumor until I get a VIN for the car and have someone I know check the computer for the warranty work done on that car.
Well I'm not sure we can consider a statement made by a service manager to C4S Surgeon a "rumor".
Old 12-27-2004, 05:20 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
After over 5 years of Boxstering I have not found the service advisors who have come and gone at my local dealership to be a very reliable source of technical information.
C4S Surgeon stated it was a service "manager" not "advisor". I would think there'd be a big difference there, no?
Old 12-27-2004, 05:34 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 903 Likes on 504 Posts

I bet alot of people who are purchasing pre-owned 996s that are now out of warranty, and are getting stuck with paying for these repairs themselves, are fuming.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:51 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
I bet alot of people who are purchasing pre-owned 996s that are now out of warranty, and are getting stuck with paying for these repairs themselves, are fuming.
There's no question that those people should insist that PAG pays for the repair (if a repair is warrantd) or pays for a new engine.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:59 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Yeah, it was me, that's what the service manager told me about a 997S that was having an oil leak problem.
Interesting, I thought it was the service manager that "...diagnosed with a RMS". Which is it? Did he diagnose it as an RMS problem or an oil leak problem?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:13 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Engine could easily be over filled with oil, too.

It is always a possibility that the engine has too much oil in it. Mine did. I have yet to pick up a new car with even the correct air pressure in the tires, I mean how hard can it be as the proper pressures are on every door frame sticker, but this was the first time that I've seen too much oil.

To test my hunch I let the fill gauge drop to the two-thirds mark and I kept it there by adding only enough to keep it there... still in the safe zone but below maximum. First and last noticed it when I brought it home to when the level dropped at about 700 miles, now at 3300 miles and I haven't seen it since. Who knows how accurate that electronic guage really is?

By the way, this is my first 911, and, well, WOW! I'm hooked.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:39 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ben in lj
C4S Surgeon stated it was a service "manager" not "advisor". I would think there'd be a big difference there, no?
In most places the Service manager is there for internal political reasons and customer diplomacy not technical know how , some of them never turned a wrench in their live and they gather their knowledge usually from the shop foreman . There are exceptions to this but in general the Servicemgr with hands on experience is a dying breed.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:51 PM
vtrader
Track Day

Default Where is the RMS leak?

Originally Posted by PTEC
Its too early to tell if the 997 will suffer from the issues the 996 had with rear main leaks, but I can tell you for sure, at least one 997 has had it replaced so far.
Which one has suffered a RMS leak? There has not been one confirmed RMS leak on a 997/997S yet. There are several hundred 997/997S owners on this board and others. Based on the frequency on the 996 RMS leaks, at least one owner would have suffered from this problem already, yet no one has come forward. Please do not start rumors unless you have facts to back it up.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:13 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

First off, I'm not going to mention his name, but he's the guy who takes in your car, seems to be the one in charge. I don't know/care what his exact title is either. He just mentioned it(RMS leak) to me in passing, and I foolishly passed it along. I brought it up to him a few days later and he said it was fixed, I didn't persue it any farther, nor will I.
Take it for what it is, hearsay on line. Believe it, don't believe it, whatever.
Tool pants, I have a lot of respect for you, but I'm not going to go prying any more than I already have and publicize some dudes VIN! Comon' Man!
Old 12-28-2004, 06:22 AM
jboyko
Intermediate

See guys, enough already about the RMS. I parked my 997s in garage, where my wife has parked 3 Mercedes Benzs over the last 7 years, without a drop of oil. She angerly called that afternoon to tell me about the 3 drops of oil that the Porsche had left that morning. I told her that it was terrible about the floor, and that the Porsche broke down on the way to work. When the dealer finally looked at it, (5 days later) they told me that the engine was blown at 4159 miles (defective intermediate shaft).

A couple of drops of oil and everyone's crowing RMS; my 997s is proof that a few drops of oil is not the RMS. May the good name of Porsche, now be restored.

jb
Old 12-28-2004, 09:38 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jboyko
See guys, enough already about the RMS. I parked my 997s in garage, where my wife has parked 3 Mercedes Benzs over the last 7 years, without a drop of oil. She angerly called that afternoon to tell me about the 3 drops of oil that the Porsche had left that morning. I told her that it was terrible about the floor, and that the Porsche broke down on the way to work. When the dealer finally looked at it, (5 days later) they told me that the engine was blown at 4159 miles (defective intermediate shaft).

A couple of drops of oil and everyone's crowing RMS; my 997s is proof that a few drops of oil is not the RMS. May the good name of Porsche, now be restored.

jb
LOL, thanks for clearing that up. I thought 2k miles was way too early for that sort of stuff to be happening. 4k is more like it.

At least they got it fixed for you right away, right?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:08 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
RMS, Rear Main Seal. A small number of 996 cars with the m96 motor (3.4,3.6 &3.8L) have developed a chonic oil leak at the RMS, thought to be due to overly loose tolerences on the machined main block. This is a problem not seen in GT1 engines (GT3, GT2, Turbo 3.6 engines) due to different, more precise machining methods employed in the hand built construction of those motors.
Typically, the dealer will RR the RMS up to three times, if it occurs again a rebuilt motor is in order.
This is a very rare problem, but a real one. The bulk of m96 motors have never and will never experience this problem. Even if it happened out of warranty, it's only a 800$ fix.
The problem is inherent to the m96 motor, which includes the 'new' 3.8L 997S motor. They did attempt a fix by using a Cayenne style RMS, only time will tell. Drive your car and enjoy it.
Sorry, but your info is a bit wrong. The Gt3,GT2 and TT engines use the old bulletproof aircooled main block carried over from the 993, the same that Porsche used for years in racing.

Regarding the RMS been a "rare" occurence, I think a search on this board alone comparing the users and the amount of users that had the problem, the percentage is not so small. Dont forget that the majority of Porsche owners are not Rennlist members so you cannot compare the total number produced with the amount of RMS problems reported on this board to get the accurate picture. if you had Porsche data regarding the total RMS leaks/blowen engines etc then the comparison has a meaning. For example I know of an engine blow up which happened in front of my eyes and that person is not a Rennlister.

Please dont take this the wrong way.

Quick Reply: RMS leak on 997!